Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
Ragamuffyn
Ragamuffyn began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
Note Case Triggering Auto-Sleep when Open

Hi All,

I finally got the case for my Boox Note. It's worked wonderfully so far except for one thing: when the cover is opened and flipped back, it triggers the device to sleep as though the cover is closed. Given that I read with the cover flipped back, this has become frustrating to the point where I would rather turn off the auto-sleep feature triggered by the case's magnetic strips. Unfortunately I can't find the setting for this. Does anyone know how I can change this setting or another work around for the sensitivity to the magnetic strips? Otherwise I'm going to just rip off the strips until the sensitivity can be altered.

Thanks for any help!!
Ragamuffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
The hall sensor of Note is located at left bottom.

Get a piece of aluminum plastic packaging paper, paste it between the case and back of Note.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Otamono
Otamono began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
You mean the Bottom Right? @cqman
Otamono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otamono View Post
You mean the Bottom Right? @cqman
You can test by your own. Place the paper at whatever location, if it successfully prevent your device from sleep, bingo.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
It is actually very rare problem and was impossible to reproduce on our testing devices. Until now we got just one report (yours were the second). Please do not remove those stripes on the cover. Those are no magnets and just kind of anti slip stripes in flipped back position .
We will add an option to disable cover auto sleep feature in next update.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
Ragamuffyn
Ragamuffyn began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
It is actually very rare problem and was impossible to reproduce on our testing devices. Until now we got just one report (yours were the second). Please do not remove those stripes on the cover. Those are no magnets and just kind of anti slip stripes in flipped back position .
Thanks for letting me know. I was able to place a folded up piece of aluminum foil between the Note and the case (slightly to the left of the home button looking at the face of the device) and mostly resolve the problem. I bought the case on Amazon and could replace it - is this a problem with the Note or the case?

Many thanks!
Ragamuffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
I managed to replicate this (just) once.
By flipping the cover over, then wiggling it around a bit.

In normal use, couldn’t get it to happen, really.

Booxtor, out of curiosity, what are the two extra adhesive pads included with the cover for?

Edit: holy crap my account is old... i haven’t been here in a decade...
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:04 AM   #8
Simon_31
Enthusiast
Simon_31 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max, onyx boox note pro, kindle paperwhite
I also face this problem, but it is quite random.
Usually, when it happens, I just move away the cover a little and put it back in its flipped position again, and then, the reader switches on again. Maybe some readers are more sensitive than others. I'll try the aluminum tip this week-end to see if it solves the issue.
Simon_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Not really sure what aluminium is supposed to achieve...

Aluminium is very very weakly paramagnetic and has a negligible effect on a magnetic field, unless in motion. You'd have to freeze it to near absolute zero to get a strong magnetic effect from it.

If the idea is to just use it as a spacer - there's probably better (and less abrasive) options out there, like tape.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
I also have this problem. Not so random though: as long as you flip the cover to the back of the reader and apply a little pressure on the lower part, it will trigger the sleep. Tried the aluminium tip didn't work well in my case.

What's the mechanism of this auto wake/sleep by the case cover? Knowing this should help coming up with a work-around.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #11
Simon_31
Enthusiast
Simon_31 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max, onyx boox note pro, kindle paperwhite
Mmmm so I'll try the aluminum trick while putting my ereader in liquid nitrogen.
Simon_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
orcinus
Gadgeteer

LOL

On another note...
Super weird, but for some reason, last night, while reading in bed, i suddenly started having this issue *all the time*, to the point where i had to continue reading with a finger in between the folded-back cover and the back.

And then today, reading at my desk, and suddenly it's *not* happening anymore. I thought it might be due to the bottom of the case resting on my chest, moving it slightly, but it happens even when i flip it 90 degrees. Very very weird and quirky.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #13
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
I just folded a "letter size" paper and put it to the lower part of the case, and now problem solved.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Nice, that explains why it happens so sporadically.
Must be at the very edge of sensitivity threshold if a piece of paper is enough to offset it so it doesn’t trigger.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #15
zsdiogo
zsdiogo doesn't litterzsdiogo doesn't litter

Device: Boox Note 10.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but has this feature been implemented after all? Even after the 1.9.0 update, I still can't find an option for this. And, in my case, the situation is really bad: even a couple of pieces of paper are not enough to stop the sleep function from being triggered.

Has anyone found a software-based solution in the meanwhile, by the way? I actually don't know if the flag for this process is binary, or if one could fine-tune the sensibility of the hall effect sensor.
zsdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote