Device: none
Book trends

Which book trends are you aware of?

Both current and previous book trends.
tomfyhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
What exactly do you mean by book trends?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
tomfyhr
Enthusiast
tomfyhr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
What exactly do you mean by book trends?
The same way that there are food trends, fashion trends or science trends.

Something that is currently popular by the general public within that field (in this case books and literature). That is what a trend is.
tomfyhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
The general public doesn't read much. I would like to say that many people are reading genre fiction. But then, I am reading genre fiction and choose my books out of a specific genre I want to read. Obviously there will be a lot of others that also read that genre. What I cannot notice is who is NOT reading that specific genre. So I couldn't even tell how popular a specific genre is overall.

I am reading more Indies than I used to prior to having a KU subscription. And that is a trend that happened because I started subscribing to KU ( mainly for my better half ). She reads more than me and she likes Romance, so KU is a good fit. Looking at the amount of books in Romance, it is a safe bet that it is the single most read genre overall.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfyhr View Post
Which book trends are you aware of?

Both current and previous book trends.
All of them. I'm aware of all of them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-06-2018 at 02:26 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think the OP means trends such as vampires, zombies, military as a focus in various genres. These come and go often powered by what is popular at the movies or on TV. That would be a good question for your librarian who subscribes to the various publisher trade magazines.

FWIW, vampire romance has fallen off to be replaced by multiple paranormal creatures (werewolves, zombies, human-bears, etc). Mystery cozies currently are being saturated by romance writers who do no research and can't write very good mysteries. Soon this will turn readers off the genre and they will look elsewhere. Space opera is very big in scifi right now.

Obviously, there is other stuff - this is just a microcosm that I have gleaned.

Last edited by Tarana; 07-06-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I think the OP means trends such as vampires, zombies, military as a focus in various genres. These come and go often powered by what is popular at the movies or on TV. That would be a good question for your librarian who subscribes to the various publisher trade magazines.

FWIW, vampire romance has fallen off to be replaced by multiple paranormal creatures (werewolves, zombies, human-bears, etc). Mystery cozies currently are being saturated by romance writers who do no research and can't write very good mysteries. Soon this will turn readers off the genre and they will look elsewhere. Space opera is very big in scifi right now.

Obviously, there is other stuff - this is just a microcosm that I have gleaned.
I'm waiting for the Military Cozy genre to blow-up, myself.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote