Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #16
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Check out post #9 and #11 by gimble on the following thread. In post #11, gimble has uploadedtwo PDF files: one shows the document before annotations, the other shows it after it has been annotated with highlights, scribbles and side notes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296167

Fantastic. The exported files were especially helpful. Really appreciate this.
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #17
rpvreviews
Enthusiast
rpvreviews began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 10.3; Various Kindles in past
Quote:

However, now that I have the case for the Note, it provides more of a grip for the clip on light so that is no longer an issue.
Is there a link to the case anywhere?

thanks
rpvreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #18
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvreviews View Post
Is there a link to the case anywhere?

thanks
Mine came with device although it did not ship with it because it was not ready until later. I believe the ereader.store where I purchased mine from still includes the cover as part of the package, but you might want to check to be sure.

https://ereader.store/en/

Not sure if they will sell just the cover by itself. However, I have seen the cover listed on a couple of Amazon websites.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOOX-10-3-C...9?ref=ast_p_ep

https://www.amazon.de/BOOX-eReader-S...9?ref=ast_p_ep
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:57 AM   #19
rpvreviews
Enthusiast
rpvreviews began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 10.3; Various Kindles in past
Quote:

Not sure if they will sell just the cover by itself. However, I have seen the cover listed on a couple of Amazon websites.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOOX-10-3-C...9?ref=ast_p_ep
But this is a cover and cannot use the led light with it right? when you mentioned it has grip i was confused.
rpvreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvreviews View Post
But this is a cover and cannot use the led light with it right? when you mentioned it has grip i was confused.
Yes, it is just a cover. Without the cover, I found that the plastic casing was a bit too thin and slippery for a clip on light to remain in place.

The cover provides extra thickness and traction for the LED clip on light. I now have no problems with it sliding off.

Here is a link to the kind of LED clip on light that I am talking about:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-P...ble+clip+light
Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #21
Question Mark
Wizard

I think that Onyx should enable some kind of low battery popup notification.

I knew my battery was low, about 20% to be precise, but I thought that would be more than sufficient for writing a short composition in the native note taking app. It wasn't. Guess I'm a slower writer than I thought.

Suddenly, my screen changed, telling me to charge my device. Naturally, I plugged my note into a wall charger. I then found myself back at the home screen.

When I navigated my way back to the note taking app, my composition was gone. I hadn't been saving as I went along. Lesson learned.

From now on when writing or sketching, I will save the document periodically, particularly if I know my battery is getting low. That way, hopefully, I will not lose everything.

However, had there been a popup message warning me to save or close any open files and connect my device to a power source, this loss of information could have easily been avoided.

Most of my other devices warn me when they are getting dangerously low. Had just assumed that the Note would do the same. Hopefully, they will enable such notifications in an update or enlighten me on how to enable such a feature if it already exists.

It wasn't a catastrophic loss for me as I was able to recall most of what I'd written. But it could have been. So beware of how much juice is left in your battery before undertaking any important note taking functions.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #22
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Suddenly, my screen changed, telling me to charge my device. Naturally, I plugged my note into a wall charger. I then found myself back at the home screen.

When I navigated my way back to the note taking app, my composition was gone. I hadn't been saving as I went along. Lesson learned.
This seems a design flaw. Mobile devices generally save the document you’re working on periodically (at least this is my experience with iOS apps). Shows the roughness of Onyx’s software and I’m concerned that they don’t save your PDF annotations as you work on the document either.
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #23
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
This seems a design flaw. Mobile devices generally save the document you’re working on periodically (at least this is my experience with iOS apps). Shows the roughness of Onyx’s software and I’m concerned that they don’t save your PDF annotations as you work on the document either.
It could be that I either unwittingly disabled such a notification and/or periodic work saving feature or haven't enabled it. I tend to disable features that I don't think I'll need.

Either way, I'm not overly concerned, but it is something that one should be aware of.

If I were working on something truly important, I would now periodically save it or exit and re-enter the app to ensure that not all my information was lost.

If the fault lies with the software, it seems like it is something which could be easily remedied in an update.

In retrospect, I should have tried pressing the physical back button when the recharge screen popped up. It didn't occur to me until afterward. Although it mightn't have worked, there might have been enough juice left in the battery for me to save my composition. Live and learn.

I'm still incredibly happy with my Note, but will be a bit more cautious in the future.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #24
goranO5
goranO5 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Kindle ?

Is there any info about using kindle app on Onyx Note?
goranO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #25
bongio
Connoisseur
bongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the rough

Device: Energy eReader Pro HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by goranO5 View Post
Is there any info about using kindle app on Onyx Note?
I installed and used it, it works fine.
bongio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #26
goranO5
goranO5 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongio View Post
I installed and used it, it works fine.
Thats it..Im going to order one thanks
goranO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #27
jlariviere
jlariviere began at the beginning.

Location: Rocklin, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe
Device: Onyx Boox Note 10.3 (want), Kindle Oasis (have)
Wonderful rundown! I've been looking at the Boox Note and this review is very helpful.
Thanks!
jlariviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #28
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlariviere View Post
Wonderful rundown! I've been looking at the Boox Note and this review is very helpful.
Thanks!
Glad that you found it helpful! If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

(Or maybe the only question is: when will I actually buy it? )
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote