Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall I read next?
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe 5 7.46%
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams 16 23.88%
Emma by Jane Austen 4 5.97%
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs 3 4.48%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 5 7.46%
The Awakening by Kate Chopin 1 1.49%
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 2 2.99%
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 6 8.96%
Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas 12 17.91%
Silas Marner by George Eliot 0 0%
Room with a View by E M Forster 1 1.49%
1984 by George Orwell 17 25.37%
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair 3 4.48%
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson 5 7.46%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift 4 5.97%
The Secret History by Donna Tartt 1 1.49%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 4 5.97%
Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope 2 2.99%
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 8 11.94%
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne 5 7.46%
Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 6 8.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Another vote for Dirk Gently but it looks to me like you have a pretty good cross section on your list. To really give you an educted vote you would have to tell us what you are currently in the mood for...did you just finish War and Peace and are now looking for something light and entertaining. Did you read a suspense mystery and are looking for a little beauty and romance or are you currently fixated on a certain period of time that you want to explore more deeply. I always have about twenty books waiting in the wings for their time to shine but when it comes down to deciding which one when the moment arrives I usually consult my gut and what it feels like at the time (much like I do at the ice cream parlor).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Another vote for Dirk Gently but it looks to me like you have a pretty good cross section on your list. To really give you an educted vote you would have to tell us what you are currently in the mood for...did you just finish War and Peace and are now looking for something light and entertaining. Did you read a suspense mystery and are looking for a little beauty and romance or are you currently fixated on a certain period of time that you want to explore more deeply. I always have about twenty books waiting in the wings for their time to shine but when it comes down to deciding which one when the moment arrives I usually consult my gut and what it feels like at the time (much like I do at the ice cream parlor).

Mel
I have no idea what I'm in the mood for, hence the need for help. I'll read any of those on the list.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I chose Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency because of all the books on the list, that one is the best of the bunch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I picked 1984, but almost picked The Jungle. Everyone needs to read them at least once while they are still young - like you. They will broaden your view of the world and make you question your place in it.

The whole list in your poll looks very good.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Maybe I'll try and read two a month (or more) and start with the most votes and work my way down.
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #21
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Ooh Dirk Gently is catching up to 1984! This is exciting
Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #22
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
The only one with no votes is 'Silas Marner'.
It looks like a Finnish entry in the Eurovison Song Contest - it deserves better than that!

Vote for it somebody!!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #23
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Maybe LJ could mess with everyone and reverse the poll at the end to decide what to read... Then Silas Marner would be on top...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #24
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
The only one with no votes is 'Silas Marner'.
It looks like a Finnish entry in the Eurovison Song Contest - it deserves better than that!

Vote for it somebody!!!
Finland won the Eurovison Song Contest in 2006
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #25
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I votes for The three musketeers, you won't be able to put it down once you've begun to read it!
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Dirk first, naturally, Douglas Adams was a gem!

1984 is always good to read, Three Musketeers, naturally. And finish it off with Wurthering Heights.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #27
Fiacha
Enthusiast
Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo H20, Nook Glowlight 3
I looked at your whole list a while ago and spotted 'The Riddle of the Sands'. I remember it as one of my father's favorite reads.

It is readily available via Project Gutenberg so I downloaded it ane reread it. Apparently it was singularly influential in its day, but its day was 100 years ago and all that is left is an average adventure story about leaden characters doing things for barely comprehensible motives. You would need to be interested in both small boat handling and lead up to the first World War to find much of interest in it.
Fiacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:10 AM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiacha View Post
I looked at your whole list a while ago and spotted 'The Riddle of the Sands'. I remember it as one of my father's favorite reads.

It is readily available via Project Gutenberg so I downloaded it ane reread it. Apparently it was singularly influential in its day, but its day was 100 years ago and all that is left is an average adventure story about leaden characters doing things for barely comprehensible motives. You would need to be interested in both small boat handling and lead up to the first World War to find much of interest in it.
I liked 'The Riddle of the Sands' when I read it many years ago; and I still think it's a 'must-read' for anyone interested in spy novels as a genre.

Though it's enduring popularity may also be partly explained by the fact that the author was executed during the Irish civil war. Erskine Childers was a fascinating person.

I still think 'Rebecca' should be next.
'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.' - irresistible!

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-26-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #29
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

I don't even remember seeing Riddle of the Sands on the list. But that's not much of a surprise, there are a lot of books on it (I've never heard of it)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #30
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I don't even remember seeing Riddle of the Sands on the list. But that's not much of a surprise, there are a lot of books on it (I've never heard of it)
You could watch the 1979 film - and pretend that you've read the book.
We won't let on.