Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #91
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
One rule I would like to have is no books less than a year old. This would get around at least some of the Overdrive and/or cost issue.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
One rule I would like to have is no books less than a year old. This would get around at least some of the Overdrive and/or cost issue.
Could we have an amendment to that one year rule based on price? So if it's cheap enough (we'd have to decide what price is cheap enough), it's OK to nominate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #93
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Could we have an amendment to that one year rule based on price? So if it's cheap enough (we'd have to decide what price is cheap enough), it's OK to nominate.
I understand this in principle, but I am not sure it would work in practice for our international readers. For example, Joan Didion's book Slouching Towards Bethlehem is currently $1.99 in the US Amazon store, but £8.49 in the UK store. Also, something might be super cheap on Amazon, but not on Kobo. That would wipe out that lower price for someone like me who does not use Amazon. It is a really good idea, but I am just not sure how we could make it work.

I think the 1+ year shelf life ensures the broadest readership as it is more likely someone can obtain it from a library if they don't want to pay for it. I think a combination of an upper price limit and the year incubation period will help us get the highest possible participation.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #94
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I understand this in principle, but I am not sure it would work in practice for our international readers. For example, Joan Didion's book Slouching Towards Bethlehem is currently $1.99 in the US Amazon store, but £8.49 in the UK store. Also, something might be super cheap on Amazon, but not on Kobo. That would wipe out that lower price for someone like me who does not use Amazon. It is a really good idea, but I am just not sure how we could make it work.

I think the 1+ year shelf life ensures the broadest readership as it is more likely someone can obtain it from a library if they don't want to pay for it. I think a combination of an upper price limit and the year incubation period will help us get the highest possible participation.
It's that International concern that prompts this, in addition to the library availability. The wait times on new books in many libraries is simply too long for the club. While many of us can find workarounds where geo-fencing has caused predatory pricing, we really should find books that all who wish can find at a reasonable price. I don't think that restricts our choices all that much.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something that really bothers me and needs to be dealt with is mistakes. By mistakes, I mean when a book is nominated and it does not fit the category for that month and when someone realizes it, it's not deat with and removed. This incorrect book can even get three nods and then get voted on and even win. That makes me want to almost drop the book club.

When a book is discovered not to belong to that month's category, it needs to be dropped from the nominations as soon as it's discovered. This needs to happen starting in February 2018. The reason for leaving it being that the voting will sort it out doesn't work. That mistake in the voting means that the results aren't actually valid even if that book doesn't win.

Actually, anytime there's an issue, deal with it instead of giving the excuse that the voting will sort it out.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #96
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Actually, anytime there's an issue, deal with it instead of giving the excuse that the voting will sort it out.
Something might be an issue to one person but not to another and by removing books that one person legitimately believes is a good nomination we will be squashing someone's opinion. Let the group know in a polite and respectful way why you disagree with the nomination and then encourage people to vote for another book in a positive way. But please leave it at that.

The two exceptions I can think of is books that have already been discussed in one of the book clubs or books that were recently fully nominated*. In these cases we have clear rules for the MRBC that don't allow them to get to the final vote. Most other items (genre, stand-alone, etc.) are opinions and the nomination / voting process should decide them.

*I don't think we have discussed keeping these moving forward or not in this thread but I think they are good rules and should be maintained in some form.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #97
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
If our theme was Travel and someone nominated a book about a hermit, that should probably be disallowed - unless the hermit had travelled a lot before settling down, of course.

ETA Crossed with Dazrin.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #98
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Something that really bothers me and needs to be dealt with is mistakes. By mistakes, I mean when a book is nominated and it does not fit the category for that month and when someone realizes it, it's not deat with and removed. This incorrect book can even get three nods and then get voted on and even win. That makes me want to almost drop the book club.
This is one we will NOT agree on, Jon. Primarily because it's really a matter of opinion, and in at least one case the majority opinion has not coincided with yours. One thing I think all of us want to avoid is wrangling about nominations, and we've all indicated that we want to view things positively going forward during the nomination and voting phases.

However, I think in the new club, going forward, this should be less of an issue, even for you. I would suggest that choosing to go with themes, rather than specific genres, we should avoid any real issue.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #99
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
If our theme was Travel and someone nominated a book about a hermit, that should probably be disallowed - unless the hermit had travelled a lot before settling down, of course.

ETA Crossed with Dazrin.
Ah, but perhaps people have discussed traveling to meet this hermit? Honestly, I'm opposed to any form of theme or genre policing. It only leads to wrangling, and I'm frankly tired of that.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #100
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, but perhaps people have discussed traveling to meet this hermit? Honestly, I'm opposed to any form of theme or genre policing. It only leads to wrangling, and I'm frankly tired of that.
Amen to that! We definitely don't want wrangling in the new club. Let's make it a thing of the past.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #101
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Amen to that! We definitely don't want wrangling in the new club. Let's make it a thing of the past.

Amen! Hear her! I want to be able to enjoy a pleasant and informative discussion around a book I've read with some friends. THAT'S what a good book club is. It would help if we all settled down with the <beverage of choice>, and just relaxed and chat about the book we've just read.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is one we will NOT agree on, Jon. Primarily because it's really a matter of opinion, and in at least one case the majority opinion has not coincided with yours. One thing I think all of us want to avoid is wrangling about nominations, and we've all indicated that we want to view things positively going forward during the nomination and voting phases.

However, I think in the new club, going forward, this should be less of an issue, even for you. I would suggest that choosing to go with themes, rather than specific genres, we should avoid any real issue.
If the topic is science fiction and someone nominates a fantasy book, that fantasy book should be not allowed because it's not science fiction. If this fantasy book is allowed, it spoils the science fiction month. So allowing the fantasy book to remain can cause incorrect results even if it doesn't get to the vote as it takes away nominations from anyone who nominates it.

So yes, books no on topic should be removed as soon as possible.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #103
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Well, it won't be a problem as in the new club we are having Themes, rather than genres.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, it won't be a problem as in the new club we are having Themes, rather than genres.
It can still be a problem if the theme does not match. I just want to know if a book not fitting with that month's theme/topic/whatever is going to be dealt with other than the "the voting will sort it out".

Let's say the theme is time-travel and someone nominates a book that is just a travel book. I would hope that once it's pointed out that the book doesn't fit the theme, that it would be removed from the nominations.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #105
CRussel
(he/him/his)

What part of no wrangling did you fail to comprehend, Jon?