Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-18-2016, 04:17 AM   #106
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Beef Liver 101. Delicious, Nutritious, Low Budget, Mouth Watering Beef Liver by Heviz's
I think I finally understand the phrase "gag me with a spoon"!
I posted The Truly Offal Recipe Book: How to Cook the Parts Others Throw Away by Curtis Pritchard sometime back, remarking that many Americans miss out by not trying Steak and Kidney Pie/ Pudding or indeed chicken liver.

'Speciality Meats' doesn't have the same booong

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-19-2016 at 03:33 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:21 AM   #107
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks for all those Heviz's books which are free today! I picked up the Beginner's breakfast and the Beginner's main course.
192 results for Kindle Store : "heviz" : £0-£0

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-...d-author=heviz

177 Today with some new.

Big Book of Cakes by Heviz's

Actually only 31 pages like most.

Last edited by Little.Egret; 02-19-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #108
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Canning and Preserving Sauces and Syrups - free
http://www.amazon.com/Canning-Preser...dp/B00ZYVW760/
Thanks for sharing this, just grabbed it, usually I'm too late and the offer has already expired, lately I’ve been interested ion canning and preserving so this one comes in handy.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #109
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The 2 Day Diet Bible - free
http://www.amazon.com/Day-Diet-Recip...dp/B00JNNU67C/

The Clever K Cup Cookbook - free
http://www.amazon.com/The-Clever-Cup...dp/B00V7CFDTS/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #110
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
I posted The Truly Offal Recipe Book: How to Cook the Parts Others Throw Away by Curtis Pritchard sometime back, remarking that many Americans miss out by not trying Steak and Kidney Pie/ Pudding or indeed chicken liver.

'Speciality Meats' doesn't have the same booong
The homonymous title The Truly Awful Recipe Book would be my choice of titles for a book on cooking those parts. ha

It really is all about what you have grown up thinking is acceptable to eat, as well as how you like the taste. My grandmother, who lived all of her life in the deep South, thought that a meal of pork brains (eaten with poke salat) was a real treat!

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-19-2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 AM   #111
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
The homonymous title The Truly Awful Recipe Book would be my choice of titles for a book on cooking those parts. ha

It really is all about what you have grown up thinking is acceptable to eat, as well as how you like the taste. My grandmother, who lived all of her life in the deep South, thought that a meal of pork brains (eaten with poke salat) was a real treat!
I haven't (yet) looked through that book but am aware that the USA's deep South is the source of many recipes, typically labelled "soul food", that fit this category. An important historical reason for that is: slaves (especially field slaves) were given the discarded portions of foodstuffs that the ruling classes (slave masters, etc.) didn't want to eat and had to find ways to supplement those rations and make the food palatable. Eventually, as with many other American "folkways" originating with oppressed and/or minority groups, "slave food" cuisine was adopted by the majority population, renamed "soul food", and became trendy. (https://www.bing.com/search?q=slaves...ZI&form=MOZLBR)

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-19-2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:51 AM   #112
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I haven't (yet) looked through that book but am aware that the USA's deep South is the source of many recipes, typically labelled "soul food", that fit this category. An important historical reason for that is: slaves (especially field slaves) were given the discarded portions of foodstuffs that the ruling classes (slave masters, etc.) didn't want to eat and had to find ways to supplement those rations and make the food palatable. Eventually, as with many other American "folkways" originating with oppressed and/or minority groups, "slave food" cuisine was adopted by the majority population, renamed "soul food", and became trendy. (https://www.bing.com/search?q=slaves...ZI&form=MOZLBR)
There were a lot of poor whites, too, in the Deep South. And they ate whatever they could get. I'm sure that pork brains was one of those things, at times.

I have no idea how pork brains became a delicacy to some Southerners (I assume that my grandmother wasn't the only one who ate them. In fact, at one time, at least, grocery stores where she lived would sell canned pork brains. That's within my lifetime), though. If it wasn't because of what I mentioned in the first paragraph, then perhaps it came from the slaves. I dunno. Perhaps both are true.

Poke Salat (often erroneously called and written "Polk Salad") is a leafy plant that grows wild in the Deep South. Poor people who could not afford collard greens, mustard greens, or turnip greens would go outside to forage for it when they wanted greens and, I'm sure, when there was nothing else to eat, too. Nowadays, some native Southerners will go out and "pick a mess of it" even if they afford other greens. It's a delicacy to them.

By the way, there is a song called "Poke Salat Annie," about Southerners eating Poke Salat. Elvis Presley was one who used to sing it. When he was in a live concert and about to sing it, he would explain to some audiences what Poke Salat was. He would have been very familiar with it, having grown up very poor in northeastern Mississippi (Tupelo) in the 1930's and 40's.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-19-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 02-19-2016, 02:20 AM   #113
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
There were a lot of poor whites, too, in the Deep South. And they ate whatever they could get. I'm sure that pork brains was one of those things, at times.

I have no idea how pork brains became a delicacy to some Southerners (I assume that my grandmother wasn't the only one who ate them. In fact, at one time, at least, grocery stores where she lived would sell canned pork brains. That's within my lifetime), though. If it wasn't because of what I mentioned in the first paragraph, then perhaps it came from the slaves. I dunno. Perhaps both are true.

Poke Salat (often erroneously called and written "Polk Salad") is a leafy plant that grows wild in the South. Poor people who could not afford collard greens, mustard greens, or turnip greens would go outside to forage for it when they wanted greens and, I suppose, when there was nothing else to eat, too. Nowadays, some native Southerners will go "get a mess of 'em" even if they afford other greens. It's a delicacy to them.

By the way, there is a song called "Poke Salad Annie," about Southerners eating Poke Salat. Elvis Presley used to sing it. When he was in a live concert and about to sing it, he would explain to some audiences what Poke Salad was. He would have been very familiar with it, having grown up very poor in northeastern Mississippi (Tupelo).
Yes, I acknowledge your point about poor Southern whites and their diet, and the value of also making those points explicit (though I did qualify my statements to leave room for sources of "soul food" other than "slave food").

As a fan of The Walking Dead TV series, I was very surprised - and more than a little disappointed in the writers - that in the seasons showing Rick's group and groups of cannibals nearly starving, in Georgia, Virginia, and the regions between them, the characters (many of whom were from the South and from Appalachia) were not shown foraging for any of the many edible, native or invasive plants that grow in abundance in those very regions, such as (Phytolacca americana), aka pokeweed, from which poke salad (aka poke salat or poke sallet) is made, and about which numerous artists (e.g., Big Twist and The Mellow Fellows, Tom Jones, Johnny Hallyday, Bill Carlisle, and Joe Dassin) in addition to Elvis (as you pointed out) have sung songs, and in honor of which multiple southern folk festivals are held.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-19-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #114
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
192 results for Kindle Store : "heviz" : £0-£0

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-...d-author=heviz

177 Today with some new.

Big Book of Cakes by Heviz's

Actually only 31 pages like most.
pity there is no way of comparing old and new lists.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #115
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Canning and Preserving Guide (box) - 99 cents
http://www.amazon.com/Canning-Preser...dp/B00M5P0ETU/

Cooking for One - free
http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-For-On...dp/B0183NRH8S/

Alkaline Foods - 99 cents
http://www.amazon.com/Alkaline-Balan...dp/B00VQMO8GS/

The Decaf Diet - free
http://www.amazon.com/The-Decaf-Diet...dp/B003ZSHOSK/
Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #116
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Poke Salat (often erroneously called and written "Polk Salad") is a leafy plant that grows wild in the Deep South. Poor people who could not afford collard greens, mustard greens, or turnip greens would go outside to forage for it when they wanted greens and, I'm sure, when there was nothing else to eat, too. Nowadays, some native Southerners will go out and "pick a mess of it" even if they afford other greens. It's a delicacy to them.

By the way, there is a song called "Poke Salat Annie," about Southerners eating Poke Salat. Elvis Presley was one who used to sing it. When he was in a live concert and about to sing it, he would explain to some audiences what Poke Salat was. He would have been very familiar with it, having grown up very poor in northeastern Mississippi (Tupelo) in the 1930's and 40's.
In this case, it is called "White Trash Cooking"
See here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...oo%2Caps%2C292
I am going to pretend I didn't scroll down and see more books.
This book has great recipes and good stories.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #117
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

In consideration of the million and one paleo diet cookbooks I have posted, I want to point out that today the Telegraph reports that the paleo diet is "unhealthy and fattening!"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-devotees.html
Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #118
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
...were not shown foraging for any of the many edible, native or invasive plants that grow in abundance in those very regions, such as (Phytolacca americana), aka pokeweed, from which poke salad (aka poke salat or poke sallet) is made, and about which numerous artists (e.g., Big Twist and The Mellow Fellows, Tom Jones, Johnny Hallyday, Bill Carlisle, and Joe Dassin) in addition to Elvis (as you pointed out) have sung songs, and in honor of which multiple southern folk festivals are held.
Not to forget the Southerner Tony Joe White who was the artist who actually wrote and made a hit of "Polk Salad Annie" .

As far as I know the published lyrics and title have always used "polk salad" and White sings it that way, at least in the recordings I have; Elvis, at least often, too (if not always?) I think but I only have BR copies of his singing it in recordings from shows.

I understand (but don't know, maybe someone does?) that this may have been be a change from how White originally wrote the lyrics though. It was some time before the song was accepted for recording and later still before it became a hit so I wonder if the change, if there was one, came along in order to smooth the lyrics e.g. by removing the hard "t" before the "A" in Annie?).

Thanks all for the Southern foodie history . For those that remember an earlier discussion, collard greens have since proved to do well in our very sandy beach front garden.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #119
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Not to forget the Southerner Tony Joe White who was the artist who actually wrote and made a hit of "Polk Salad Annie" .

As far as I know the published lyrics and title have always used "polk salad" and White sings it that way, at least in the recordings I have; Elvis, at least often, too (if not always?) I think but I only have BR copies of his singing it in recordings from shows.

I understand (but don't know, maybe someone does?) that this may have been be a change from how White originally wrote the lyrics though. It was some time before the song was accepted for recording and later still before it became a hit so I wonder if the change, if there was one, came along in order to smooth the lyrics e.g. by removing the hard "t" before the "A" in Annie?).

Thanks all for the Southern foodie history . For those that remember an earlier discussion, collard greens have since proved to do well in our very sandy beach front garden.
Didn't know who wrote it. I notice that he also sings it himself.

Yeah, I searched for "Poke Salat Annie" on Spotify. Didn't get a hit. Decided to check "Polk Salad Annie," there were a large number of hits. Maybe all of them are found under "Polk Salad," although someone could get the first part right, "Poke," and get the second part wrong, ending up with "Poke Salad." I didn't check for that.

In the two recordings of Elvis singing the song, both times he told the audience beforehand that it was not "polk salad," but "poke salat." The producers, or someone, must not have listened to the recording, because each one of them has the song labelled, "Polk Salad"!

If any of you haven't heard the song, you might enjoy listening to it. It's pretty funny.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #120
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
<snip>
I've never tried cooking them myself, but I've heard that it takes a knack. Some cooks can do it right, some can't.