Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
UrzaJR
UrzaJR began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem installing in Windows 7 - msi file only opens with extractor

Hi everyone, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm having trouble getting started with Calibre on Windows 7 (I installed it just fine on a mac OX machine).

The installer file is a .msi, but by this file will only open with a file extractor, where it just creates an empty folder. I've seen other threads about installation problems with Windows 7 and permissions, but I'm not even getting to that point.

Am I missing something obvious?
UrzaJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A msi file should automatically be opened by the setup sub-system in Windows. If it is not, then it is not clear what the problem could be.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
skeptik
skeptik began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrzaJR View Post
The installer file is a .msi, but by this file will only open with a file extractor, where it just creates an empty folder.
Hi there. Not sure if you're still wanting the answer but I'm sure someone will in the future. I was having the exact same problem downloading and attempting to open/run the add-on Web of Trust for IE9. By default it wanted to open with MegaZipper but that didn't work, because .msi files are supposed to auto-open with Windows Installer. The most I could do was right-click and have it prompt me to chose what program I wanted to open the .msi file with.

After spending several frustrating hours searching the internet attempting to get it to open by variously searching my computer in vain to locate Windows Installer, redownloading Windows Installer unnecessarily from microsoft.com, trying to find some type of third-party software which could run the file, etc., I came across the link I included below.

It's incredibly simple. Somehow my computer had misassociated the default program to open .msi files. All I had to do was download the file for restoring default for .msi, right-click MERGE, and presto, now the file opens with Windows Installer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-restore.html

Edit: I'm using Windows 7 and that link is only recommended for people using Windows 7 ... regardless, this is the reason I was having the problem, I'm sure there are other ways to restore the default file type association.

Last edited by skeptik; 12-09-2011 at 02:20 PM.
skeptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yours is the second calibre problem that I have heard of caused by Megazipper Hijacking a standard extension.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Nerio
Nerio began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrzaJR View Post
Hi everyone, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm having trouble getting started with Calibre on Windows 7 (I installed it just fine on a mac OX machine).

The installer file is a .msi, but by this file will only open with a file extractor, where it just creates an empty folder. I've seen other threads about installation problems with Windows 7 and permissions, but I'm not even getting to that point.

Am I missing something obvious?
I made a video . It works on any Windows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQRukFYCE9M
Nerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerio View Post
It works on any Windows
Even three years from now Windows?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Even three years from now Windows?
Absolutly
Windows generates lots of garbage.. Did you expect that to ever change
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerio View Post
I made a video . It works on any Windows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQRukFYCE9M
@Nerio - Can you explain what disabling VSS has to do with the .msi extension becoming disassociated with its default handler (msiexec.exe), no doubt via some sort of malware.

Thanks BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote