Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #31
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
You just installed the wrong version of anaconda. You need the python 2.7 version:
https://repo.continuum.io/archive/An...OSX-x86_64.pkg
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #32
American_Desi
Connoisseur
American_Desi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
You just installed the wrong version of anaconda. You need the python 2.7 version:
https://repo.continuum.io/archive/An...OSX-x86_64.pkg
Well, I was right... I was doing something stupid. I don't know how to uninstall the wrong version, so I just installed the new version, and EUREKA! I think I'm in business. The Comic Tagger App now seems to be working.
American_Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #33
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. The first comic I loaded into it, Avengers #1, it took a long time to search online and then crashed.

Of note, this is what I saw in terminal after I loaded it using "python comictagger.py":

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/username/Applications/Comictagger/comictaggerlib/volumeselectionwindow.py", line 407, in currentItemChanged
self.volume_id, b = self.twList.item( curr.row(), 0 ).data( QtCore.Qt.UserRole ).toInt()
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'toInt'
Abort trap: 6

Feel free to laugh at me if I'm doing something stupid again :-)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #34
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Uggh, both the "search online" and "auto identify" functions are causing the App to crash. Grrrr! Sooooo close.....
Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #35
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm I just used an auto-convert script to convert from pyqt4 to pyqt5. Apperently, this does not work

open the terminal and enter
conda install pyqt=4
Hopefully, that will install pyqt4 to the right anaconda installation on your computer.
Now try the pyqt4 version of comictagger. That should work.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 PM   #36
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Done, and this is what happened:

Fetching package metadata .........
Solving package specifications: .

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
- navigator-updater -> pyqt >=5.6 -> qt 5.6.*
- pyqt 4* -> qt 4.8.6
- pyqt 4* -> sip 4.16.5
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

Is there a way to "uninstall" the newer version of pyqt? If not, what should I do next?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #37
dickloraine
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Desi View Post
Done, and this is what happened:

Fetching package metadata .........
Solving package specifications: .

UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be in conflict:
- navigator-updater -> pyqt >=5.6 -> qt 5.6.*
- pyqt 4* -> qt 4.8.6
- pyqt 4* -> sip 4.16.5
Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

Is there a way to "uninstall" the newer version of pyqt? If not, what should I do next?
There is. We will make an environment for comictagger. Type the following in the terminal:
conda create -n py27_qt4 python=2.7 anaconda
source activate py27_qt4
conda remove pyqt
conda install pyqt=4

If you want to start comictagger, you of course always have to switch to that environment first. You could of course make a batch script in the comictagger directory , so that you just need to click.
See https://stackoverflow.com/a/14065171 for how to do it
In the batch file you just need:
source activate py27_qt4
python comictagger.py
Old 06-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #38
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Quote:
There is. We will make an environment for comictagger. Type the following in the terminal:
conda create -n py27_qt4 python=2.7 anaconda
source activate py27_qt4
conda remove pyqt
conda install pyqt=4

If you want to start comictagger, you of course always have to switch to that environment first. You could of course make a batch script in the comictagger directory , so that you just need to click.
See https://stackoverflow.com/a/14065171 for how to do it
In the batch file you just need:
source activate py27_qt4
python comictagger.py
OK, that was extremely helpful and we're making progress. This time, the App did not crash. I loaded Avengers #01 and told it to "auto identify." Instead of crashing, it failed to find the information and flashed me this message:

"Python Imaging Library (PIL) is not available and is needed for issue identification."

Is that some kind of add on for the program?

Now when I canceled that message, I did see a window asking me to select the series, so I think that helps.

EDIT: OK, update to the above. I do keep getting that error message, but it WORKS! I am now able to import the metadata by doing the following:
1) Adding the series name to each comic individual
2) Clicking on "Auto-Identify"
3) Clicking to cancel the error message about the Python Imaging Library
4) Select the appropriate comic series
5) Saving the tags after verifying the information appears accurate

THANK YOU!

Now, just some follow up questions:

1) What is that Python Image Library thing? Do I need it? Can I get it so that I don't keep getting that error message?
2) How do I batch import meta-data? It seems I have to repeat the above process individually with each comic - a pain to be sure, though still more helpful than Calibre which wouldn't even find the metadata.

Last edited by American_Desi; 06-29-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #39
dickloraine
Guru

Seems like anaconda only ships with the successor of PIL. PIL is just a library for python, which allows all kind of things with images. Comictagger uses it, to compare the cover of the comic with covers on comic vine, to find the right issue (think of series like batman, which have x volumes. If you don't have that info or the pub date, it would be very difficult to find the right one).

Just activate the environment for comictagger
in the terminal just try
conda install pil

if that doesn't work, try
conda install -c anaconda pil=1.1.7

One of the two should work.

I hope, that now everything works. If something is missing, just try installing it with
conda install name
or with
pip install name

of course always in the envirenment, that you can activate with
source activate py27_qt4

Last edited by dickloraine; 06-29-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #40
American_Desi
Connoisseur

What about batch importing meta-data for multiple comics? Any way to do that?

I've tried selecting multiple files on the right side and right-clicking and doing "auto-identify" but it still only does one at a time.

EDIT: Ok, sorry about this... you've been incredibly patient and helpful but I discovered one more serious problem. In addition to my question above about batch editing, I'm still having two problems.

The less serious one is that, despite trying both commands above, the PIL is still not found.

The MORE serious one is that the program does not read .cbr files. It tells me I need to put in the pathway for the unrar program, and so I downloaded WinRar for MacOS and set the appropriate programs in preferences. Nevertheless, when I try to read a cbr file, it just hangs and never fully imports it. Have you encountered this problem? It is a bug? Is there another program I can try? I have "The Unarchiver" for Mac which I normally use for rar files, but it doesn't allow me to select this program.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of my comic files are in cbr format, so I can't do anything with them....

Last edited by American_Desi; 06-29-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #41
dickloraine
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Desi View Post
What about batch importing meta-data for multiple comics? Any way to do that?

I've tried selecting multiple files on the right side and right-clicking and doing "auto-identify" but it still only does one at a time.

EDIT: Ok, sorry about this... you've been incredibly patient and helpful but I discovered one more serious problem. In addition to my question above about batch editing, I'm still having two problems.

The less serious one is that, despite trying both commands above, the PIL is still not found.

The MORE serious one is that the program does not read .cbr files. It tells me I need to put in the pathway for the unrar program, and so I downloaded WinRar for MacOS and set the appropriate programs in preferences. Nevertheless, when I try to read a cbr file, it just hangs and never fully imports it. Have you encountered this problem? It is a bug? Is there another program I can try? I have "The Unarchiver" for Mac which I normally use for rar files, but it doesn't allow me to select this program.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of my comic files are in cbr format, so I can't do anything with them....
Concerning the rar issue: It should read cbr, but can't embed any metadata into it. Rar is not open source and only allows extraction without the rar program. You need to convert the cbr to cbz (just a zip).

For pil, try
pip install pil

It can batch import. Just select the comics on the right and on the toolbar click auto-tag.

Last edited by dickloraine; 06-30-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #42
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Concerning the rar issue: It should read cbr, but can't embed any metadata into it. Rar is not open source and only allows extraction without the rar program. You need to convert the cbr to cbz (just a zip).
It's definitely not reading cbr. When I try to import a cbr it gives me a message to the effect that it will be unable to read cbr files until I put in the pathway for the unrar program. When I do that, it just hangs while importing the cbr... even walked away for a while and came back thinking it just needed longer... it was still at 0% complete for importing the cbr.

I don't mind converting the cbr to cbz format. I understood from this process that both are just archives of jpeg files. Problem is, I can't seem to find a straightforward way to do it from all my Google searching. Jomic is a program that supposedly does it, but the program reads as "damaged" when I try to run it. There is another program called Unarchiver but this doesn't exactly covert them. It looks like I might have to individually unrar them and then zip them back which Unarchiver, which is painfully inefficient... another user also made mention of this issue from my internet searches.

Quote:
For pil, try
pip install pil
This is what I got when I did that:

Collecting pil
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pil (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for pil

Quote:
It can batch import. Just select the comics on the right and on the toolbar click auto-tag.
To be clear, I can batch import the files into the program, but when I select them all and click Auto-Identify, it only identifies one of the selections. When I select them all and click Auto-Tag, it ends up finding no matches and tags none of them. It's very strange, like it can only do the job properly one at a time.

I'm reading the online user manual for the program. I wonder if the problem with Auto-Tag is that there are multiple Avengers series of comic books? I'm using an exact name match for the series in the file name... don't know how else to get it to see the correct series.

Last edited by American_Desi; 07-01-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #43
dickloraine
Guru

Could be because it uses pil exactly for auto-tagging. Maybe google for pil and anaconda, there should be a way to import it. Alternatively you could try to replace all references to pil in the source code with pillow. That is the newer version anaconda comes with. But I don't know, if the api is fully compatible.

You could use the "embed comic metadata" plugin in calibre to mass convert cbr to cbz. It's one of the extra actions available there.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #44
dickloraine
Guru

Maybe this helps:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/36855408
Just use your environment as the destination.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #45
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Could be because it uses pil exactly for auto-tagging. Maybe google for pil and anaconda, there should be a way to import it. Alternatively you could try to replace all references to pil in the source code with pillow. That is the newer version anaconda comes with. But I don't know, if the api is fully compatible.

You could use the "embed comic metadata" plugin in calibre to mass convert cbr to cbz. It's one of the extra actions available there.
I didn't think about that. Yes, the embed plugin works perfectly for converting to cbz. Roundabout, though. Since I have to import the comics into Calibre, then use the plug in, then export them back, then import them into ComicTagger, then save the tags, then reimport them back into Calibre....

I'm trying to get my head around the first suggestion and your subsequent link. Bear in mind that I'm not a programmer, so this is all new to me. I always gravitate towards the simpler solution in these cases, so I looked at the web link you provided. There are a bunch of files there, about 8 for osX, 6 for what I assume is the 64-bit version and two for the 32-bit version. Which am I supposed to get? I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.5, Late 2012 model 21.5" with 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7. And, do I get all of the files for a given version (32 or 64-bit) or just one of the files? Also, where do I put them? And when you say, "use your environment as the destination," do you mean the directory where I have the comictagger.py file?