Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 02-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Mini-Mozilla available for Pocket PCs in Summer'05

Mini Mozilla, also known as Minimo, is being ported to Windows CE by lead Minimo developer Doug Turner (we reported). From Cnet I just gathered that the Windows CE version, which will run on all popular Pocket PC devices, is set to debut this summer. Cnet quoting Doug:

"The first release to the general public will be in about four months," he said. "We are hoping to be producing nightly builds starting at the end of March. Nightly builds are...for quality assurance and those that live a bit dangerously."

Until now, Minimo has been built only for Linux-based PDAs. If you are a Windows CE developer, you can partipiate in the new project and contact Doug at dougt[at]meer[dot]net.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
jjesusfreak01
Senior Junior Member
jjesusfreak01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TH-55
How about a Palm OS version?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Don't hold your breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjesusfreak01
How about a Palm OS version?
Unfortunately, Palm OS (especially pre-Cobalt) has limitations which makes porting to it from other platforms non-trivial. Shame too, 'cause a standards-compliant free browser is something a lot of Palm OS users could really use.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
jjesusfreak01
Senior Junior Member
jjesusfreak01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TH-55
I dont see why. The standard for an internet connection on a Palm is set, so things like WebPro can run on all devices, but there is really no reason why someone could not make a universal browser.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjesusfreak01
I dont see why. The standard for an internet connection on a Palm is set, so things like WebPro can run on all devices, but there is really no reason why someone could not make a universal browser.
Limited memory jumps in pre-OS5 immediately comes to mind. That's just one example.

Probably the biggest problem for Garnet devices is simply that none of them have enough memory. While the Minimo project was trying to pare things down below 64MB, as of 0.1 they hadn't been able to do that (64MB was the absolute minimum). Plus, you have to allocate memory for the cache. Probably the only Palm Powered devices that could run a Mozilla-based app would be the PalmOne Tungsten T5 and Tapwave Zodiac2. Some of the Sony UX or NX may also have enough memory, but their memory is divided up in a weird way, so I'm not sure.

Of course, I never said it couldn't be done. For Garnet and Cobalt devices, it probably could be done, with a lot of work. And given the size of the work needed, I just don't think anyone will bother.

However, I reserve the right to be wrong, and the right to change my mind later.