Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
Sevit
Sevit began at the beginning.

Device: Android, Kindle PW
Question How can I substitute Pocket for Moon Reader?

Hey everyone,

I use Pocket to read news and articles, but lately it seems limiting when compared to Moon Reader. I want a Random Article button, and to change fonts and backgrounds, and Pocket either doesn't have these features or keeps them behind a Premium subscription.

My thought process then went "I should just save the html of the article, or even download it as epub with some extension, and read it on MoonReader". Unfortunately, its been easier said than done.

Pocket is great at taking out unwanted elements and keeping just the text and relevant images, but when I open an html of the same article on MoonReader - or an epub version made with some firefox extension - I get zero images, and a lot of unwanted html code gibberish.

Any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?
Sevit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:09 AM   #2
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
I use Instapaper+Calibre.
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 02:38 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
a bit of a faff but you can use pocket to grab, then export from pocket to html, which calibre can then convert to epub or whatever...
"Want to take all your saved items somewhere else? You can easily export all of them into an HTML file."

actually, moon reader accepts html so maybe you can skip a step...
experiment
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Pocket also has Pocket Premium for $45 a year or $5 a month and that let's you change fonts. Even the basic Pocket lets you change the font size.

I don't have premium so I have no idea how varied the fonts are or if you can supply your own. I do find basic Pocket easy to use and easy on my eyes.

Another way is to get the Kindle app and send the articles to your Kindle and read them on the Kindle app as docs. This lets you control font and other style choices. It's free and with the Send to Kindle app in your browser sending articles to the Kindle app is trivial.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Unki
Unki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Asus Transformer
wallabag is an option.

Unki
Unki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unki View Post
wallabag is an option.
I use Wallabag, too.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote