Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #46
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
hypothesizing
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenTrout View Post
If you ordered it from Walmart, it will by default display a Walmart lock screen. However, you can easily fix that - connect it to your computer, enter the .kobo folder, and open affiliates.conf with a text editor. Change the line “affiliate=Walmart” (or WalmartHybrid or whatever it is) to “affiliate=Kobo” and save the file.

Also, instead of the current book cover, you can have the lock screen display images you place in a certain folder: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321609
You may not want to switch the affiliate to Kobo. Change to beta or bestbuyca or walmartca. Having Kobo as the affiliate wil not allow you to sync the new 4.19.14123 firmware just yet. Any of the other three will allow a firmware sync.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-15-2019 at 08:12 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #48
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
Well if anyone was on the fence, the Clara is on sale again
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/523781
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Why spend that much when one can go directly to WalMart and save 4 pennies?!

https://www.walmart.com/cp/kobo-erea...sories/3252253
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #50
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Why spend that much when one can go directly to WalMart and save 4 pennies?!

https://www.walmart.com/cp/kobo-erea...sories/3252253
Someone didn't click the link I appreciate Slickdeals' discussion which is why I tend to include it if possible, it may help others, though here probably not so much because we all know about Calibre, but for the muggles... Yeah.
Advert
Old 12-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #51
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW2, PW4, Clara HD
Amazon has it for the same price
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #52
restinginlove
Enthusiast

Well, finally pulled the trigger on the latest sale going on now. My Glo HD is still working well, but I'm excited to see if I prefer the orange light in pitch black? If not, I can probably return or give it away. Not sure what I will do with two 6" ereaders of the same brand (finally unloaded my Paperwhite 3, gave it to a friend during quarantine) but I'll figure it out!

Edit: Just kidding, canceled it because I decided I'd rather wait for the Libra to be back in stock (even at full price once the sale ends). I read at night at home or during my night shift (where I have a backpack with me, so it doesn't need to take up less real estate in a purse or anything), it would make more sense to have a Libra for mostly home use and use the still working Glo HD as a travel/purse reader, and replace it when it finally dies. This latest sale is so tempting though!

Last edited by restinginlove; 05-03-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #53
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by restinginlove View Post
...it would make more sense to have a Libra for mostly home use and use the still working Glo HD as a travel/purse reader, and replace it when it finally dies. This latest sale is so tempting though!
Ironically, used Glo HDs are selling for more than the new Clara is on sale. You might want to pick up the Clara, try it out to see which you like better, and sell one or the other on eBay. Either way you would probably come out about even.

My wife would love it if I only had two 6" eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #54
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle DXG
I love the Clara. I think I bought it for $90 CAD a while ago. Now I use it as my main e-reader. I plan on selling my other ones. Best of luck
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
...I'm excited to see if I prefer the orange light in pitch black?
I wasn't sold on the orange light until the better half started reading on a Glowlight 3. In a darkend room, the bluish white light of my Aura suddenly seemed glaring compared to the orange Nook screen.

I bought a Clara pretty quick after.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #56
restinginlove
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wasn't sold on the orange light until the better half started reading on a Glowlight 3. In a darkend room, the bluish white light of my Aura suddenly seemed glaring compared to the orange Nook screen.

I bought a Clara pretty quick after.
Dang, everyone got me reconsidering! The thing is when I am reading at night, usually I am actually trying to actively stay awake, so the whole "helps you go to sleep better" thing isn't that big of a selling point for me? But I also don't read right before bed on the nights I am trying to sleep for that reason, and I can always turn the orange lights off when not needed...

Well, just bought it again, and am now scouring aliexpress and amazon for covers!
Old 05-05-2020, 12:13 AM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Dang, everyone got me reconsidering! The thing is when I am reading at night, usually I am actually trying to actively stay awake, so the whole "helps you go to sleep better" thing isn't that big of a selling point for me?
Remember, the orange light (supposedly) doesn't interfere with your body's sleep cycle. It doesn't put you to sleep!

Honestly, I don't know that white/blue light interferes with your sleep. But in a darkened room, the orange light is less harsh. No doubt.

Quote:
But I also don't read right before bed on the nights I am trying to sleep for that reason, and I can always turn the orange lights off when not needed...
I bet once you have it, you will always use it at night.

Quote:
Well, just bought it again, and am now scouring aliexpress and amazon for covers!
I like the slim cases myself. I use this one: Kobo Clara HD Case

The corners look funky in the picture. They're less noticeable in person and have helped when I've dropped my reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:28 AM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Here's the one I like. Not as thin as the SlimShell but more comfortable for me to hold. And I think it probably gives the screen a little more protection.

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-eReade...8659962&sr=8-3

I don't use the strap.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-05-2020 at 02:31 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #59
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Dang, everyone got me reconsidering! The thing is when I am reading at night, usually I am actually trying to actively stay awake, so the whole "helps you go to sleep better" thing isn't that big of a selling point for me? But I also don't read right before bed on the nights I am trying to sleep for that reason, and I can always turn the orange lights off when not needed...

Well, you can always set the Kobo color adjustment to the blue end of the scale if that keeps you awake
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #60
restinginlove
Enthusiast

Quote:
Remember, the orange light (supposedly) doesn't interfere with your body's sleep cycle. It doesn't put you to sleep!

Honestly, I don't know that white/blue light interferes with your sleep. But in a darkened room, the orange light is less harsh. No doubt.

I bet once you have it, you will always use it at night.

The corners look funky in the picture. They're less noticeable in person and have helped when I've dropped my reader.
I like slim cases too. My latest aliexpress one for my Glo has a hairline crack on a corner but it's still holding up (the original leather one from kobo started fraying and I got sick of trimming it every few months, also I tend to be a klutz so the dropping didn't help), maybe I should look for a TPU one with corners like those vs hard plastic.

I was looking at the purple one here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...683M5NNA&psc=1
and these -$15 is a bit much for a case for me when it's just as protective as other slim cases, though prettier https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000474003955.html