Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
Is the Clara much of an upgrade from the Glo HD?

I'm pretty happy with my Kobo Glo HD, but with the Walmart Clara black Friday sale I was debating if $100 would be a good price for overdrive integration, 8gb storage, and the comfort light. Has anyone upgraded? Would you be willing to weigh in?

My main complaints with the Glo HD are the loose-with-most-cords port (can make transferring books and charging annoying at times) and ghosting (it definitely needs refreshes more frequently than my Paperwhite 3 and whenever I turn on after having a screen show the text is fainter where the screen was, things like that - but I mostly buy books from Kobo or sideload epubs via Calibre and Calibre collections are kind of hard to enable on the Paperwhite, so I still rarely use it). Are these fixed in the Clara?

Thank you!
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Clara HD is definitely an improvement over the Glo HD. But, I don't think it is enough of an improvement to justify replacing a perfectly working device. If one of the extra function is something you need, then it could justify the upgrade. I have both, and while I didn't upgrade directly from the Glo HD to the Clara HD, it is better.

Having said that, and rereading your post, the answer is obvious. So, here is a version you can show whoever manages your finances :

The Clara HD is a much better device. The screen is much better and has very little ghosting. The Comfortlight Pro light means you will sleep better. The Overdrive integration means you can borrow books from the library rather than buy them. The extra space means that you can carry more books including those big books you haven't been able to read. And it will mean you can stop swearing each time you need to put a few books on the device and the USB port doesn't connect.

Will that work?

And in case you are wondering, I'm very familiar with the question, "Why do you need another ereader?"
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Clara HD is definitely an improvement over the Glo HD. But, I don't think it is enough of an improvement to justify replacing a perfectly working device. If one of the extra function is something you need, then it could justify the upgrade. I have both, and while I didn't upgrade directly from the Glo HD to the Clara HD, it is better.

Having said that, and rereading your post, the answer is obvious. So, here is a version you can show whoever manages your finances :

The Clara HD is a much better device. The screen is much better and has very little ghosting. The Comfortlight Pro light means you will sleep better. The Overdrive integration means you can borrow books from the library rather than buy them. The extra space means that you can carry more books including those big books you haven't been able to read. And it will mean you can stop swearing each time you need to put a few books on the device and the USB port doesn't connect.

Will that work?

And in case you are wondering, I'm very familiar with the question, "Why do you need another ereader?"
Ha! I manage my own finances so it's more of me arguing with myself while looking at my YNAB than anything. I think I am ok paying the $30 more or whatever it is full price, plus shipping, on the Kobo site (which is way less than the $168 the Walmart site was saying is original mrsp?) and riding the Glo HD out, I just know kobos go on sale maybe once a year and that's why I was considering it. If it dies I can use the Paperwhite 3 and make collections on the device and sideload Kobo purchases until the next sale, though it's a bit of a PITA to download and remove DRM on a Chromebook running Linux (I haven't done it in a while, I just read the occasional book only available in Kindle on the Kindle and the rest on the Kobo). Maybe I'll decide that the Libra is portable enough for me and go for that next time too, who knows. All the annoyances are annoying but hey, it still works.

Anyway, thank you!!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by restinginlove View Post
I'm pretty happy with my Kobo Glo HD, but with the Walmart Clara black Friday sale I was debating if $100 would be a good price for overdrive integration, 8gb storage, and the comfort light. Has anyone upgraded? Would you be willing to weigh in?
I don't own the Clara, but I own the Tolino Shine 3 (which is a Clara with Tolino firmware instead of Kobo). For me the comfort light makes it worth it on its own. I also like the light weight and small size, but I'm guessing a Glo HD isn't a whole lot bigger or heavier -- (quick check, 180 grams vs 166).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

My main complaints with the Glo HD are the loose-with-most-cords port (can make transferring books and charging annoying at times) and ghosting (it definitely needs refreshes more frequently than my Paperwhite 3 and whenever I turn on after having a screen show the text is fainter where the screen was, things like that - but I mostly buy books from Kobo or sideload epubs via Calibre and Calibre collections are kind of hard to enable on the Paperwhite, so I still rarely use it). Are these fixed in the Clara?

Thank you!
I do not own any of those two devices, but I've owned a Kobo without the Comfort light and one with it (Aura 6" and Aura One). All I can say is, the light is worth every penny! One can't imagine it until one has had it. It really makes a big difference. I do wake up a couple of times every night and sometimes I do read a bit until I fall asleep again. This is mostly around 4.30 a.m. With the Aura, I was wide awake after reading for a while, with the Comfort light, I just slip back into sleep. Sadly my Aura One started to have that loose plug-in port, too and it drove me nuts so I sold it. I didn't know it was discontinued and now I own a different brand reader but it does have a Comfort light, too

Go for it, I think you'll love it!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I do not own any of those two devices, but I've owned a Kobo without the Comfort light and one with it (Aura 6" and Aura One). All I can say is, the light is worth every penny! One can't imagine it until one has had it. It really makes a big difference. I do wake up a couple of times every night and sometimes I do read a bit until I fall asleep again. This is mostly around 4.30 a.m. With the Aura, I was wide awake after reading for a while, with the Comfort light, I just slip back into sleep. Sadly my Aura One started to have that loose plug-in port, too and it drove me nuts so I sold it. I didn't know it was discontinued and now I own a different brand reader but it does have a Comfort light, too
A little correction. The non-colour changing light was called "ComfortLight". The colour changing light is "ComfortLight PRO".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A little correction. The non-colour changing light was called "ComfortLight". The colour changing light is "ComfortLight PRO".
Oops

Stupid me

Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
restinginlove
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Oops

Stupid me

I called it that too! Also when I said screen I meant book cover screen saver, whoops. Also bummer that the Aura one had the same USB issue over time, that sucks that newer kobos still have that issue

I'll have my Glo HD five years in the fall of this next year so I'm gonna try and hold out at least until then I think, especially since I wasn't looking to upgrade until I saw the black Friday sale on Slickdeals and I'd have just been buying it cause it's on sale, and I'm trying to break that habit of buying things I don't need just cause they're on sale (and I have something else functioning that serves its purpose!). But awesome to hear the new light makes a difference! I read a lot during the day and also during night shift work (where I'm actually trying to not fall asleep!) so I think I would appreciate it but it's not a deal breaker in the meantime?

But it's a long 48 hours ish between now and the end of cyber Monday so I may talk myself into it again, who knows. But this was all very helpful, thank you!
Old 12-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Ha! I manage my own finances so it's more of me arguing with myself while looking at my YNAB than anything. I think I am ok paying the $30 more or whatever it is full price, plus shipping, on the Kobo site (which is way less than the $168 the Walmart site was saying is original mrsp?) and riding the Glo HD out, I just know kobos go on sale maybe once a year and that's why I was considering it. If it dies I can use the Paperwhite 3 and make collections on the device and sideload Kobo purchases until the next sale, though it's a bit of a PITA to download and remove DRM on a Chromebook running Linux (I haven't done it in a while, I just read the occasional book only available in Kindle on the Kindle and the rest on the Kobo). Maybe I'll decide that the Libra is portable enough for me and go for that next time too, who knows. All the annoyances are annoying but hey, it still works.

Anyway, thank you!!
The Clara HD at Walmart is on sale for $99.96 US. (You mention this.) I think that's a very good price, and it will soon jump up.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
am I to understand that I can have book covers show on my Clara HD I just ordered? do I have to do anything special? also, and thank you in advance, anything you want to tell me, tips, etc., would be welcome. haven't found too many threads on this device yet. coming from a PW2.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
restinginlove
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
am I to understand that I can have book covers show on my Clara HD I just ordered? do I have to do anything special? also, and thank you in advance, anything you want to tell me, tips, etc., would be welcome. haven't found too many threads on this device yet. coming from a PW2.
On my Glo HD (which should have the same or similar UI to the Clara) --> settings --> energy saving and privacy --> under sleep and power off, select "show current read".
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Don't have a kobo but I concur. Comfort light is a must have.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
restinginlove
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Don't have a kobo but I concur. Comfort light is a must have.
The yellow/orange tint makes that much of a difference?? Dang. It's in my cart, guess I'll go for it, I just hate to retire my Glo HD when it has a lot of life left.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
The yellow/orange tint makes that much of a difference?? Dang. It's in my cart, guess I'll go for it, I just hate to retire my Glo HD when it has a lot of life left.

the yellow/orange tint is the Comfort light Pro. you already have the Comfort light on your Glo HD.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
On my Glo HD (which should have the same or similar UI to the Clara) --> settings --> energy saving and privacy --> under sleep and power off, select "show current read".
thank you! made my day. one more question if you don't mind, is it possible to have black background with white text (accessibility mode type thing)? tia
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote