View Poll Results: Do you use Calibre?
Yes 202 89.38%
No 21 9.29%
Other. (Leave a comment in the thread) 5 2.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've commented in this thread before, but I'm just realizing that I've been using Calibre for almost 9 years. Without Calibre, ebooks would have been almost unmanageable. Without Alf's De-DRM plugins, my ebook use would probably have been constrained to classics and DRM-free ebooks.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:10 PM   #47
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

Device: Repurposed Fire 7 &10 epub/pdf reader-Kobo Nia: KOReader & Plato
My choice of other--explained here. Initially, my set-up was Kobo-->Kobo Mini-->Kobo Touch with Calibre running in Linux desktop. After 3rd Kobo broke and abandoned desktop, moved to Android + iPod Touch + Chromebook with Kobo app. The Android tablets not portable, bad battery life and iPod Touch battery died, 3rd party battery, then died again.Then decided wanted something fitting in pocket bought 2 Fire 7 tablets - cheaper than Kobo's, other Android or iPod Touch. Followed recipe to convert them to Android tablets, running Pocketbook app so DRM ePubs OK. Got used Windows laptop - stripped DRM from ePubs bought, set up Calibre. Moved to KOReader with syncing. Built up huge collection PDFs and djvu's with classical organization. Now running Calibre for ePubs only on Linux VM on Chromebook (Windows machine broken by Microsoft update).

Last edited by Albertde; 09-14-2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to say iPod Touch broke as well.
Albertde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just realized that the poll is wrong for the question. The poll should have be different reasons why someone doesn't use Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #49
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Make a new thread?
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:12 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Or, let this poll run with it's completely valid question that includes a request to give the reasons and then create another poll using the supplied reasons to get a better indication of how many people do it for each reason. After all, if this poll had included a few reasons, @JSWolf would have just posted that some other reason was missing, or that one of the included reasons was invalid in some way.

And Jon, please don't claim you would not have done that. If there was any surprise at your post, it was in how long it took for you to make it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #51
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I only use one function of Calibre, and that is command-line conversion between e-book formats. For many reasons, some of which are:

1) Organizing books via the filesystem is so much faster and more comfortable for me.

2) I am a control freak and I don't want Calibre to clutter my painstakingly cleaned-up e-books with its tags, except when putting them on the reader device. Calibre content is not good enough for storage, as far as I am concerned.

3) I use multiple devices and I want significant customizations on each - but I want one source book so that any found mistakes can be fixed in one place. That can be easily done with my source files and a preprocessor, not so with a third-party tool.

And many more.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #52
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
2) I am a control freak and I don't want Calibre to clutter my painstakingly cleaned-up e-books with its tags, except when putting them on the reader device. Calibre content is not good enough for storage, as far as I am concerned.

As far as I know, tags in Calibre are stored in the database, not in the bookfiles. Only booktitle and author are saved in the formatting of the bookname in the books that are in Calibre.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #53
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I have it but probably 90% of my reading is on Kindle so I let it do its thing. I may eventually use it enough to really understand it and make good use of it but for now it's too much brain work.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #54
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I wonder how many Kobo users forgo Calibre? How many use Calibre?

If you don't use Calibre, I'd be curious to know why not? How do you manage your library?
Never used it.

I just borrow books with OverDrive, and bougth a few books from Kobo Store.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote