Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
babygau
Enthusiast
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
Question cannot read side loaded epub files

hi everyone,

as I mentioned in the title, i couldn't read epub files transferred from calibre.

kobo only opens the book cover and unexpectedly exit to home page after i turn to next page

kepub files are ok but i just wanna read epub ones.

what did i do wrong?
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #2
babygau
Enthusiast

this is the video to illustrate the issue

https://youtu.be/rTZKoyNyeJg

Last edited by babygau; 05-09-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
At a WEG, your epubs have formatting issues. A quick and dirty check would be take one of the books that is having issues, doing an epub to epub conversion and then sending the converted file to your Kobo.

If one of the books that is having issues is public domain, you can attach it to a message here. If it isn't PD, sent a PM about the file or a link to it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:36 AM   #4
babygau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At a WEG, your epubs have formatting issues. A quick and dirty check would be take one of the books that is having issues, doing an epub to epub conversion and then sending the converted file to your Kobo.

If one of the books that is having issues is public domain, you can attach it to a message here. If it isn't PD, sent a PM about the file or a link to it.

bcoz the original format is .azw3 so according to your advice, i should convert the book twice, .azw3 to .epub, then .epub to .epub. sound strange but hope it works. i will let you know when i got home with the computer. thank you
Old 05-10-2020, 04:13 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Install the epubcheck plugin. Then check the ePub for errors using the Edit epub checka nd epubcheck and when both show no errors, then try the ePub again.

You will have to use the editor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
bcoz the original format is .azw3 so according to your advice, i should convert the book twice, .azw3 to .epub, then .epub to .epub. sound strange but hope it works. i will let you know when i got home with the computer. thank you
Have you tried using the KindleUnpack plugin to extract the epub from the azw3 instead of converting azw3 to epub? And yes, there are issues at time which calibre will clean up doing the epub to epub conversion. Most ereaders are a lot less forgiving than calibre's browser based ebook viewer.

And please forget using the size BB code in such an annoying fashion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:51 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you tried using the KindleUnpack plugin to extract the epub from the azw3 instead of converting azw3 to epub? And yes, there are issues at time which calibre will clean up doing the epub to epub conversion. Most ereaders are a lot less forgiving than calibre's browser based ebook viewer.

And please forget using the size BB code in such an annoying fashion.
If you do use KindleUnpack to shift the KF8 to ePub, you'll need to load the ePub into the Calibre editor to fix any errors. Use epubcheck to check for the errors and fix them until there are no more errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
babygau
Enthusiast

hi all,

i'm sorry for any inconvenience i made with the font issue because at the time, i posted this question using my mobile phone which i found its font was very small, was worried that you couldn't read it properly.

now back to the problem i had, you were right that the epub has format issue and i fixed it with your instruction.

many thanks to you all and have a good day!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
iggirl
iggirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Related question here. I've got a few books originally AZW3, converted into epub. They open and read perfectly fine from Calibre, and also on my Kobo Forma; but when I open them on my daughter's Kobo Libra we get the cover page and that's it. We can page through all the pages...but they're all blank, no text. Anyone else experienced that?
iggirl is offline   Reply With Quote