Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
ustou
ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle PW4
Philosophy book club, anybody?

(DISCLAIMER: I have no idea if this is the right place to make this suggestion, if it indeed isn't, please forgive me and have the good will to redirect me to where it would be appropriate)

I absolutely love philosophy, whatever shape or size it may come in, and was wondering if like-minded individuals, active or lurking, would be interested in starting a book club for us to be able to read and discuss works, authors, ideas; best of all, get involved in some spicy debates on the way things are or the way things should be. What would be especially important to me would be that NO PRIOR PHILOSOPHICAL KNOWLEDGE BE REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all have brains, and so we can all discuss ideas, the whole point would be to have a strong diversity of perspectives. On top of that, philosophy can be quite an intimidating domain because of all the intellectualism and disdain involved, and it's always easier to tackle these sorts of challenges as a group.

Of course, this would all be up to those interested, but the format I initially envisioned would be similar to the other book clubs you find on the forum: book suggestions, a vote, and a read per month, or perhaps bimonthly, since philosophy can sometimes require a more minutious read.

Anybody interested?
ustou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustou View Post
(DISCLAIMER: I have no idea if this is the right place to make this suggestion, if it indeed isn't, please forgive me and have the good will to redirect me to where it would be appropriate)
Members are welcome to have as many book clubs as they’d like and this is the place for them.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I do enjoy the occasional foray into philosophy, but doubt I could manage monthly. Bi-monthly might work. I've not studied philosophy, it's very much an amateur's interest, as a result I tend to prefer works that don't take themselves too seriously, but sometimes it's interesting to dive a bit deeper.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I'm in.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If you are into philosophy, here are a couple of recent books I'd highly recommend:

I'd also suggest the Peter Adamson series, "A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps." It is currently up to 5 volumes with the fifth volume, "Classical Indian Philosophy", due to be released June 1, 2020.

Of course, philosophy covers many things. I am currently reading Simon Wiesenthal's "The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness" which includes Wiesel's original story plus contributions from contributions from the Dalai Lama, Harry Wu, Cynthia Ozick, Primo Levi. Iit is a fascinating look into the question of what would "I/you" do in the circumstances.

Last edited by rhadin; 02-15-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: corrected author name for "The Sunflower"
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Thank you for these interesting suggestions. The Peter Adamson books look particularly intriguing.

(Just to mention, I think "The Sunflower" book is by Simon Wiesenthal)
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxpose View Post
(Just to mention, I think "The Sunflower" book is by Simon Wiesenthal)
It is and I corrected it in my post. Sorry about that. I have a habit of attributing Wiesel's books to Weisenthal and vice versa. Don't know why, I just do.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

If you are interested in contemporary US philosophers, an excellent one to read is Martha Nussbaum. Her "The Monarchy of Fear: A Philosopher Looks at Our Political Crisis" and "The Cosmopolitan Tradition: A Noble but Flawed Ideal" are excellent.

I haven't yet purchased/read Nussbaum's 2012 book, "The New Religious Intolerance: Overcoming the Politics of Fear in an Anxious Age", but it seems prescient to the intolerance of Trump and rightwing America in 2020. (This thread is inspiring . I just ordered a copy of this book.)
Old 03-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It sounds fun and I might be interested, though I'm a slower reader generally and wouldn't want too many commitments. I would prefer for the most part shorter/easier works and/or maybe on a slower time frame of like a book every two or three months instead of every month. I'm just throwing out ideas should you start the club up but you can do whatever you like.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote