CPU Speed 0 0%
Battery Life 2 15.38%
An average of the three 3 23.08%
Something else... 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2005, 06:14 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Screen vs CPU vs Battery Life

When it comes to choosing a new PDA, one has to find a balance between three essential factors: Screen size (physical, resolution), CPU speed, and battery life.

Personally I find screen size to be the most important aspect of my new handhelds. I do care about battery life, but if that means that my PDA screen is just a tiny square with a eye-straining low resolution, I rather give up some of the battery for a better screen.

What are your preferences? What is your most important factor when buying a new handheld?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
jlariviere
jlariviere began at the beginning.

Location: Rocklin, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe
Device: Onyx Boox Note 10.3 (want), Kindle Oasis (have)
Screen vs CPU vs Battery Life

I also prefer a balance; however that taken into account, Battery Life is a bit more important.
I like reading eBooks, so a large screen is nice; for games the CPU needs to be pretty good; but both reading & playing games are affected by / require good battery life.
I was able to get at least two with my T3, I just wish the battery was better.

Jeremie
jlariviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have to agree with you Morpheus. I saw my first VGA screen a few days ago, and I'm afraid that now I can't settle for anything less when I get my next device! A word of warning for those who thinks the screen's not important. Have a play with a VGA ppc, than go back to your poor QVGA device....and be happy, if you can

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
cheshire
Fence Sitter
cheshire began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
I have to agree with you Morpheus. I saw my first VGA screen a few days ago, and I'm afraid that now I can't settle for anything less when I get my next device! A word of warning for those who thinks the screen's not important. Have a play with a VGA ppc, than go back to your poor QVGA device....and be happy, if you can

Craig.
I did. Played with an iPaq 4700, and decided to get the O2 XDA II Mini in favour of its small size, heh heh. I am still, uh, moderately happy.

But I concur with what you said, the VGA displays are really nice!
cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like VGA also, but have the same issues about size. I won't trade off a small overall size for a big device with VGA. I'm sure some VGA devices will shrink a little soon.

But my primary concern is basic funtional specs... I want above average memory, cpu speed, and most recent OS so I can be confident that things will just "work" and I don't have to jump through hoops to handle limitations. Software usually runs better on more memory and faster cpu. That means both the core PIM functions and the fancy multimedia and specialty software will run smoothly and fast. If you've ever used subpar/subaverage hardware, you know what I mean. It's okay, and I've done it with success, but you end up with slow programs, inconsistently performing programs, or software you just can't get to run.

So believe it or not, as nice as VGA, wifi, etc are, they're still just optional bonus features for me. (But I hope they are core feature soon on all power PDAs!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2005, 01:23 AM   #6
sucahyo
sucahyo began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola C650
I think ergonomic is important too.
I don't want to make my hands or my head suffer when I have to answer email or make phone calls.
And I think people prefer big keyboard than big screen (blackberry vs palmone ?)
sucahyo is offline   Reply With Quote