Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Text import - loan words

I have noted that when I import a text file which uses Markdown formatting for italic characters (_txt_) things work fine except in two circumstances -

1) The italics should extend over more than one word e.g. _Hard Times_ (this may only happen when the phrase extends over more than one line)

2) A single word contains an accented character e.g _littérateur_

I can understand the problem in correctly identifying (1) as a missing closing _ can mean whole pages in Italics, however is there some setting I can use in Calibre to catch case (2).

This is an unfortunate side effect of a book which, although in English, is loaded with foreign words.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Set the input encoding correctly to whatever the encoding of the txt file is.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Set the input encoding correctly to whatever the encoding of the txt file is.
I've now made a little more sense of this - the character encoding was correct and if under text encoding I use Paragraph Style "Auto" and Formatting Style "Auto" then the document structure (Chapters etc) are correctly presented when I convert to EPUB and some Italics (not those with accented characters) are correctly rendered.

If I change to Markdown for the Formatting Style then the chapters aren't detected but the italics are properly interpreted for accented characters.

A bit of initial editing of the text file sorted this out so chapters are correctly identified in Markdown form. I now have Chapters, a TOC and correct italics.

Thanks BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I use Paragraph Style "Auto"
With Markdown sources I find that Paragraph style "off" and Formatting style "markdown" works best for conversion.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote