Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
snuffed
snuffed began at the beginning.

Device: none
A few Qs Re: DR800SG

Has anyone here tried buying/using the SG version (not the Europe one) outside of the US? Also has anyone tried reading documents and PDFs that are not in English, and can comment how well the iRex handles this?

With the upcoming firmware update I thought it might finally be worth buying this instead of waiting for the Asus reader. The problem is I've gotta be sure it won't freeze up in Australia when it fails to find any networks to connect to and preferably confirm that it can also read Chinese and Japanese without any trouble.
snuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've seen a few people trying to get them delivered outside of the US, and one person that bought one and then took it over to Canada.

I don't think you should have any problems. You won't be able to use the 3G, obviously, but I'm pretty sure it only tries to connect if you tell it to use the eMall stores. It's not going to connect on it's own while you're just using it to read content.

As for non-English content, I think that as long as the PDF has all of the fonts embedded inside it for the other languages, it should be fine. If it doesn't then it probably won't work.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert