Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: N/A
Realities about Aura One Complaints?

When researching the Aura One I see two complaints that jump out at me:

1. It's slow. Relative to Kindles that is. I occasionally see someone say theirs isn't slow but the majority of comments seem to note speed. Has this ever been compared in a controlled way? Any other input?

2. The glare. I have never had a glass front E-Reader and always read with a lamp fairly directly lighting my device to really bring out the contrast. (LED lighting bothers me so no plan to use frontlight) How is the glare compared to the bare matte plastic screens?

Anything else to consider?
FlyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hap124 View Post
When researching the Aura One I see two complaints that jump out at me:

1. It's slow. Relative to Kindles that is. I occasionally see someone say theirs isn't slow but the majority of comments seem to note speed. Has this ever been compared in a controlled way? Any other input?
Are you talking about recent complaints? If not, the performance of the firmware was been improved by a lot over several firmware version last year. You also need to be clear about whether the speed difference is in the interface or page turning. And which is more important to you.

From my point of view as non-Kindle user, I have no issue with the performance of any of my Kobo devices. They aren't fast, but I don't expect them to be.
Quote:
2. The glare. I have never had a glass front E-Reader and always read with a lamp fairly directly lighting my device to really bring out the contrast. (LED lighting bothers me so no plan to use frontlight) How is the glare compared to the bare matte plastic screens?
I really don't know what you are talking about here. I can't think of much discussion on glare with respect to any Kobo devices. And none of the screens are glass. They are probably the same screens as in Kindles.

Also, the lighting in all of these devices are LED. So, of that bothers you, you are in trouble. Or did you mean the lighting for LCD screens?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
My older Kobos (Mini, Touches, WiFi) lag when compared to my older Kindles, Tolino or Sonys. My main issue is that the touch screen is not as responsive. I think if I were only using Kobos (like davidfor above) I probably wouldn't notice, but I go back and forth a lot and it does get my attention. I can't speak for more modern Kobos, however.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My older Kobos (Mini, Touches, WiFi) lag when compared to my older Kindles, Tolino or Sonys. My main issue is that the touch screen is not as responsive. I think if I were only using Kobos (like davidfor above) I probably wouldn't notice, but I go back and forth a lot and it does get my attention. I can't speak for more modern Kobos, however.
Comparing my Kobo KA1 and a Tolino epos, the touch screens seem much the same for responsiveness. Software wise, Kobo definitely has the edge over Tolino. Series info, sort and filter selections when displaying your library, margin and line spacing settings, a lot more choices in font size selection, remembering your font settings from the last book when you open a new one, etc. Even trivia such as customizing the tap zones.

Comparing Kobo to Kindle? Compare the simplicity of installing an older version of firmware on a Kobo. Want to patch the software? Kobo (borrowing from Nike) is just do it. Kindle? Hopefully, your firmware version will let you do a jailbreak. Yes, Kindle has the advantage in highlighting but having control over the book format is likely a great help there -- compare highlighting an epub to highlighting a kepub on a Kobo for another example.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Comparing my Kobo KA1 and a Tolino epos, the touch screens seem much the same for responsiveness.

Comparing Kobo to Kindle? Compare the simplicity of installing an older version of firmware on a Kobo. ...
I don't disagree concerning the ease of patching Kobos. I've mentioned in the past that this where they really shine. But the original question I answered was about speed of the device. When comparing devices of the same age, the Kobos lag a little. And, for me, all Kobos with touch screens that I've used (Glo, Touch and Mini), have (or had in the case of the Glo) touch screens that are (were) not as responsive as other touch eReaders (Sonys, Kindles and my Tolino Page). It must be a software design decision by Kobo but, since I move around from different brands of eReaders, it is noticeable to me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Well, the topic may be about comparing the speed and responsiveness of Kindle and Kobo, but let's just go ahead and talk about patching software and installing older firmware releases instead.

I use both a Kindle Oasis 2 (reading mobi, azw3, and pdf) and Kobo Aura One (reading epubs) every day. I think the Kindle is generally faster and more responsive. Pages turning, and things happening generally, happen quicker. Words are selected and buttons are registered more accurately. Clicking footnotes and links works quickly and reliably, without having to stick to a specific file format. Text-based PDF files can be read conveniently and reliably using only the page-turn buttons (when in landscape mode) without worrying about zooming to a specific part of the page.

The Aura One is slower. But it is not slower for nothing. It takes longer to turn a page, because it has more words to load, and because it arranges those words more beautifully and elegantly than Kindles do. It hyphenates words, (unlike Kindles), and it hyphenates them well (unlike Nooks). As such, it uses kerning (using spaces between words to spread the words across a line) much more sparingly and elegantly than Kindles do.

If you really want, I could do a video comparison of the two readers. The difference in speed between the devices will be small - they will both be significantly slower than a tablet is. Such a video comparison would not inform you whether you will find the relative speed difference annoying whilst reading. I think the Kobo Aura One is noticeably slower in regular operation, but I think it more than compensates for this by being generally better at displaying text, so I actually find it more pleasurable to read on than the Oasis 2 (except when reading pdf, which I don't even bother to load onto any Kobo device).
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
DiegoArmando
DiegoArmando began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
The only problems I noticed with my Aura One is the touch screen, selecting word / character is really a pain. Sometimes you select a word for the dictionary and select the word on the the right. When I had the PW, I use to mark text all the time, now with the KA1 and not doing it anymore, is really bad. Is my only complain.
DiegoArmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Well, the topic may be about comparing the speed and responsiveness of Kindle and Kobo,
If you really want, I could do a video comparison of the two readers. The difference in speed between the devices will be small - they will both be significantly slower than a tablet is. Such a video comparison would not inform you whether you will find the relative speed difference annoying whilst reading. I think the Kobo Aura One is noticeably slower in regular operation
Yeah its aggravating when you ask questions and people answer something you didn't ask, ignore what you wrote and tell you something you already said, or any of the usual sorts of things forums result in rather than answers.

Don't trouble yourself with the video, although I do appreciate it. There has been enough confirmation it is slower and less responsive to turn me off. I wouldn't want LESS than the Kindle in that regard for sure and would be aggravated constantly regardless of it;s other benefits. To me touch screen performance is a major UX thing that can ruin an experience. Kindle's aren't FAST...but I'd not want slower. Wish I could find some English Onux Prometheus and Chronos reviews as it seems the only other choice for this size...albeit a lot more costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoArmando View Post
The only problems I noticed with my Aura One is the touch screen, selecting word / character is really a pain. Sometimes you select a word for the dictionary and select the word on the the right. When I had the PW, I use to mark text all the time, now with the KA1 and not doing it anymore, is really bad. Is my only complain.
This and the slower page turns are very disappointing and a deal breaker for me. The touch screen being fast and responsive on a touch only device is required and it's frustrating at the price point of these things it's not top tier. There seems to be no device this size that doesn't have some fatal flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I really don't know what you are talking about here. I can't think of much discussion on glare with respect to any Kobo devices. And none of the screens are glass. They are probably the same screens as in Kindles.

Also, the lighting in all of these devices are LED. So, of that bothers you, you are in trouble. Or did you mean the lighting for LCD screens?
Yeah the flush fitting bezel devices ARE glass covered and this more reflective than the sunken displays that are the bare e-ink matte plastic. I am asking if people have noticed this increased reflectiveness to be an issue.

I also said I was going to turn the LED frontlight off and use an external light and that's why the reflectivity of the display was important.

Last edited by FlyHero; 08-11-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Yeah its aggravating when you ask questions and people answer something you didn't ask, ignore what you wrote and tell you something you already said, or any of the usual sorts of things forums result in rather than answers.

Don't trouble yourself with the video, although I do appreciate it. There has been enough confirmation it is slower and less responsive to turn me off. I wouldn't want LESS than the Kindle in that regard for sure and would be aggravated constantly regardless of it;s other benefits. To me touch screen performance is a major UX thing that can ruin an experience. Kindle's aren't FAST...but I'd not want slower. Wish I could find some English Onux Prometheus and Chronos reviews as it seems the only other choice for this size...albeit a lot more costly.

This and the slower page turns are very disappointing and a deal breaker for me. The touch screen being fast and responsive on a touch only device is required and it's frustrating at the price point of these things it's not top tier. There seems to be no device this size that doesn't have some fatal flaw.

Yeah the flush fitting bezel devices ARE glass covered and this more reflective than the sunken displays that are the bare e-ink matte plastic. I am asking if people have noticed this increased reflectiveness to be an issue.

I also said I was going to turn the LED frontlight off and use an external light and that's why the reflectivity of the display was important.
unfortunately in the capitalist world we live in it's maximum profit for minimum outlay and it's up to the individual to find what works best of them whatever they are buying and good for you for doing so.

i have the Amazon Kindle/Basic 8th generation and in my opinion yes it as a faster touch screen than my Kobo Aura Original, but and it's a big but i use my Kobo Aura Original (ALL) of the time because it as the far superior software (unpatched) for my needs.

i apologise that this post isn't KA1 specific but i thought it worth mentioning that the hare being faster than the tortoise isn't always the most or only important thing although i appreciate for you it is.

btw. like you i also prefer the light off.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-11-2018 at 02:30 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
FlyHero
Member Retired

What bothers me about laggy touch is you don't know if the input registered. There is that awkward delay where you aren't sure if you should press again and risk double actions...or wait and see if it is just slow. I have a very old iPad that does this constantly and its very frustrating. I think this is absurd to still be happening on modern devices in 2018, esp on such a simple device with so few demands on it. I'm not picky about impreceptible differences...but when it causes confusion it's a deal breaker.

Sadly the effects of "the market" you mention are getting worse and worse against the consumer. E-Ink has stagnated because of greed and patents and it's so frustrating. We should have good quality, high refresh, color E-ink by now but because of corporate and money games we don't. ClearInk is many years off in reality and isn't even "good" based on what I have seen. Just tired of garbage and hassles with no real alternatives.

Last edited by FlyHero; 08-11-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Let me start first by saying that I don't have an Aura One. But 2 things to keep in mind about ereaders.

There are YouTube videos out there comparing the speed of page turns between various readers, as if that's any important criteria for buying one. The differences are milliseconds, and it's still going to be faster than turning the page of a physical book. By the time your eyes go from the bottom right to the top left, the new text is ready, even if it should be slightly slower than a Kindle on a page turn. Milliseconds. My testing between other Kobo readers and a PW2 is that they were pretty much identical though.

The full glass front on the Aura One means you have full glass... full sheen... and no matte border as the frame as on most readers. Whether that's enough extra glare in your case (and I'd hesitate to call it "glare", it would be no worse than viewing a tablet's glass screen), only you can decide. If you're extremely touchy about glare normally, it "might" be a consideration.

Don't let the speed races decide what reader you're getting. Pick the features you want and how it actually functions as an ereader vs another brand. For myself, I love the Kobo readers I've had (the Glo, and now the Glo HD), and have always hated the Kindles. It's all about your personal preferences and your comfort while reading.

Edit: You snuck in a post while I was typing:
Quote:
What bothers me about laggy touch is you don't know if the input registered. There is that awkward delay where you aren't sure if you should press again and risk double actions...or wait and see if it is just slow. I have a very old iPad that does this constantly and its very frustrating. I think this is absurd to still be happening on modern devices in 2018, esp on such a simple device with so few demands on it. I'm not picky about impreceptible differences...but when it causes confusion it's a deal breaker.
That is not the usual case for Kobo readers. Although I'll admit I had that issue on my first Glo, but found that it only happened with specific firmware. I just stayed on the firmware that didn't have the problem for me and was a perfectly happy camper having all the other features Kobo had over Kindle. With Kobo you can manage to stick to a different version of firmware. I believe still with Kindle, if you connect, you have no choice but to get the update and no way to roll back.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 08-11-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
FlyHero
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

That is not the usual case for Kobo readers. Although I'll admit I had that issue on my first Glo, but found that it only happened with specific firmware. I just stayed on the firmware that didn't have the problem for me and was a perfectly happy camper having all the other features Kobo had over Kindle. With Kobo you can manage to stick to a different version of firmware. I believe still with Kindle, if you connect, you have no choice but to get the update and no way to roll back.
Well maybe I should reconsider then. That's how many complaints made it sound and I have no local way to test as I could tell in 5min if it was even worth trying.

I don't care about hacking the device in any way. I CAN do such things but don't want to bother. I want it to just work out of the box. If it registers touches and turns pages when I press...and not an awkward pause later then that's fine. I don't care about any of the other features, I organize my stuff on Calibre manually, and don't need integration or stats. I just want a reliable, bit larger screen device, to read clearly and cleanly.

About glass...I just need to know how much difference the glass front makes when using a reading lamp with the frontlight off. I prefer 100% reflected light rather than playing games trying to balance frontlighting or backlighting with ambient/lamp light and generally get strain with LED lighting of any type, and I worry the added gloss of the glass cover can make it uncomfortable with reflections/glare.

Last edited by FlyHero; 08-11-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The front LED lighting on an ereader is completely different than what you're used to seeing on tablets or phones. Maybe you should try to borrow a reader from a friend if possible? Then you could see the differences. I can't imagine ever getting another reader without the front LED lighting anymore, and making good use of it. It's like night and day over reading on a typical backlit screen.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #14
FlyHero
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The front LED lighting on an ereader is completely different than what you're used to seeing on tablets or phones. Maybe you should try to borrow a reader from a friend if possible? Then you could see the differences. I can't imagine ever getting another reader without the front LED lighting anymore, and making good use of it. It's like night and day over reading on a typical backlit screen.
I am aware of the diffrence between front and backlighting. It's LEDs themselves that bother me, in any application.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #15
FlyHero
Member Retired

Oh also does anyone know if the Aura One has a visible digitizer layer? Meaning you can see lines in a diamond or square grid pattern if you look very close like some lower end touch displays? Apparently the H202 has this.