Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
lamp
lamp began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air using Marvin, Nexus 7 (2Gen) using Calibre Companion
Question Use iBooks on Mac as default epub e-book Viewer

Hi -- Apologize if this is covered before, is there a way to change the default epub viewer when I choose the book in Calibre and click View (or press V)?

I want to use the iBooks App on my Macbook, instead of the built-in e-book viewer? I look at Preferences but nothing jump out that I could do that.

Thanks!
lamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences ==> Interface ==> Behavior.

The right side is taken up by a list of formats to "Use internal viewer for", just uncheck EPUB and calibre will open that format using whatever the OS default is (as though you double-clicked in Finder).

You can also take a look at the Open With plugin. Under Preferences ==> Advanced ==> Plugins, click the Get new plugins button (on the bottom) and install the plugin. It will add a right-click option to books which will let you use multiple opening options for each book. This is useful if you don't want to just use the OS default.
There may already an entry to open in iBooks, if not it should be easy to make one.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-19-2014 at 07:12 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp View Post
Hi -- Apologize if this is covered before, is there a way to change the default epub viewer when I choose the book in Calibre and click View (or press V)?

I want to use the iBooks App on my Macbook, instead of the built-in e-book viewer? I look at Preferences but nothing jump out that I could do that.

Thanks!
Preferences: Behavior: Use internal Viewer FOR:

Will that jump out far enough ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
lamp
lamp began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air using Marvin, Nexus 7 (2Gen) using Calibre Companion
eschwartz and theducks -- Thanks a ton, you guys are awesome! Have been fuddling around for hours before. I'm also going to check out "Open With" plugins. I have Marvin on my iPad Air for reading but there are some snafu on the plugins that I'm waiting for fixing before reading on iPad again. For now I'm reading my ebooks on my Nexus 7 through Calibre Companion, but I'm going to try iBooks on my Macbook also.
lamp is offline   Reply With Quote