Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-14-2018, 03:47 AM   #541
cicabum
Connoisseur
cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.cicabum is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx T68, Onyx Note
Cqman had installed a 1.8.3 firmware version and in that version the password/pin settings was activated, how you can see the screenshot on this page . I don't know how he got that version of the firmware (with Pin settings activated), but on 1.9 firmware the password/Pin settings is one more time deactivated.
On Android 4 was easy to unpack the firmware (here a tutorial), edit the boot.img file and flash it one more time. On Android 6 it's more complicated, because now Onyx use a upk format and it's more difficult to handle itt. Booxtor said a couple of weeks ago an extended version (with password settings activated) of the last firmware will be available soon. Onyx Note is a great device, but without a minimal privacy protection It's difficult to use it with confidential Information
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 AM   #542
parkher
Addict
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS (T1,T2), PocketBook 902
Is it possible to use a usb flash stick/drive with Note instead of the missing external memory card?
I completely ran out of the internal flash memory.
It would be very very helpful if it is possible.

I guess, I need a USB OTG cable or an OTG enabled usb c stick.
Hopefully, with an angled - not straight - usb-c connector at the end. To avoid inadvertently damaging the usb port on the Note.

Oh, at least the default Neo player allows to rotate the page upside down - so the usb port is at the top - great!

And the Note may have to be rooted. Are there any news about rooting Note? Or is it still a lottery?

It seems that on Max 2 OTG works without rooting but an external power has to be supplied to the usb memory stick.
Hopefully, at least the same with Note. But the solution gets less compact.

BTW, it would work instead of the missing password/pin - you could keep the sensitive data on it.

Last edited by parkher; 08-11-2018 at 04:03 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #543
Marinolino
Connoisseur
Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.Marinolino can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo A1, iPad(s), Kindle DX, Hanvon E930
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
It seems that on Max 2 OTG works without rooting but an external power has to be supplied to the usb memory stick.
Hopefully, at least the same with Note. But the solution gets less compact.

BTW, it would work instead of the missing password/pin - you could keep the sensitive data on it.
You could try some wi-fi memory stick, wi-fi HD, wi-fi enclosure etc. with a password protected network.

Last edited by Marinolino; 08-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #544
parkher
Addict
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess, it is a solution worth considering. But I'd rather have a cable hanging from the top of my upside down Note. I never switch wi-fi on on any of my e-readers, so I didin't even think of it. Thanks.

Perhaps it is possible to open up the Note and to connect 5 v to the usb port internally.
If I understand correctly that that what is missing.
There surely must be some pins with 5 v inside it. That would allow to add a compact right angled usb c otg stick (if they already exist - such micro usb stics - do) instead of a cable.

Last edited by parkher; 08-11-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #545
parkher
Addict

So Note's user manuals for both 1.8.3 and for 1.90 show 13 pre-installed apps.
And also the manual says the pre-installed apps cannot be removed.
So, with 1.8.3 I had 12, not 13.
With 1.9.0 - only 11. And then the number went down to 10. And then down to 9. Then it again increased to 10. Interesting.
Currently missing are:
• Monitor (perhaps applicable for Max 2 only, but the user manual is for BOOX Note, not Max 2)
• Read statistics
• Search
I don't remember trying to remove those apps, although I removed many apps I installed myself.