Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Western eBooks

Anyone able to recommend any good ones? The only requirement is it must be digital

I'm going away on Monday and am kind of craving the genre..

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-12-2010 at 12:19 AM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I hope you are going some place for relaxation and not work on Monday.

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (at feedbooks) is one that I've seen mentioned a few times.

Max Brand (pen name) is another author I've seen mentioned. I just checked a page in Wikipedia on him.
Quote:
Faust managed a massive outpouring of fiction, rivaling Edgar Wallace and Isaac Asimov as one of the most prolific authors of all time. He wrote more than 500 novels for magazines and almost as many stories of shorter length. His total literary output is estimated to have been between 25,000,000 and 30,000,000 words. Most of his books and stories were turned out at breakneck rate, sometimes as quickly as 12,000 words in the course of a weekend. New books based on magazine serials or were previously unpublished continue to appear, so that Faust has averaged a new book every four months for seventy-five years. Beyond this, some work by him is newly reprinted every week of every year, in one format or another, somewhere in the world.
Zane Grey and Max Brand books are in the MR library.
Westerns at feedbooks
Westerns at manybooks.net
Westerns on MR
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Max Brand. One of the finest pulp writers and finest writers ever to put finger to typewriter key. Brand (Faust) only wrote his tales for the money and to keep up his lifestyle. He also wrote classical poetry that is now all but forgotten. The poetry was his true passion, the pulps paid his bills. But you'll never find a finer pulp writer.

Manybooks and Gutenberg has plenty of his stuff. I'll send you my modified ePubs of his work and a short biography too, if you'd like.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found The Outlaw Kid in a secondhand store today. Picked it up for $2.00. Already on chapter 4. It's an interesting read so far, different in style from what I usually read. Then again, that is to be expected for a book that's 82 years old.

There were shelves upon shelves of Max Brand and Louis L'Amour.

I also found some of the book of the new sun and an original 1982 TPB of The Elfstones of Shannara. I was in heaven. The girlfriend, was not. She sat on a stack of books and played ipod touch games while I had a nerdgasm all over the store. =)

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-12-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
MR user crutledge has posted a very large number of Westerns to our book upload forums. I'm sure you'll find lots to read there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I read many Louis L'Amour westerns when I was younger, and now most of them are available as ebooks. Three of my favorites are Flint, A Man Called Noon, and Reilly's Luck.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I read many Louis L'Amour westerns when I was younger,....
Dito that. One that I have read several times is To the Far Blue Mountains.

It's the start of the Sacketts in America. But WAY back when the west was no so far west.

Attachment 45551

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 04-15-2010 at 09:23 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
SomeThingWickd
First to go, last to know
SomeThingWickd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, iPhone w/Stanza, and NOW a 16GB Apple iPad WiFi
I just finished the Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch westerns by Robert B. Parker, who just recently passed away.....

The movie Appaloosa is actually based on the first of the 4 books he wrote. (Blue Eyed Devil, the 4th book is due out sometime this year...) Brilliant Westerns by any account.

I recommend them highly...
SomeThingWickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, SomeThingWickd!

Thanks for the recommendation. Stop by our Introduce Yourself Forum and, well, introduce yourself, so we can all welcome you here.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Amazon has The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard for the Kindle.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThingWickd View Post
I just finished the Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch westerns by Robert B. Parker, who just recently passed away.....

The movie Appaloosa is actually based on the first of the 4 books he wrote. (Blue Eyed Devil, the 4th book is due out sometime this year...) Brilliant Westerns by any account.

Welcome to MobileRead, SomeThingWickd.

You might want to try our "Introduce Yourself" thread so that we can welcome you properly.....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThingWickd View Post

I love Apaloosa, I had a feeling they were based on a book just hadn't had the chance to do the research.

Thanks!