Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Prepak

1) Books by Folder doesn't show the root of the IM, but the /database/media/books. If there are no other cards, the IM is chosen automatically.
2) The current structure is meant only for beta testing and quick updates. I am still not sure what's the best way for the release. Whether I'll keep the js files in IM or include them in /opt etc.

jeromedevine
I doubt it's that easy, but will give it a try.
Kartu! You'll be my HERO if you can manage to do it!! yes please!
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
jeromedevine
I am sorry but it doesn't seem to be possible. There is only one function called by js code: doRotate and it seems to switch only between 2 positions. Changing it would require changing compiled linux binaries, my skills in this area are lacking, I am afraid...

prepak
I don't mind, but you could update the files directly in projects repository on google code.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
How to combine PRS Customizer and Books By Folder

1) Install PRS Customizer, prepare all your customizations and copy them to your SD card.

2) Edit file (SD Card)/files.505.1.1.00.18040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/applicationStart.xml (replace the first part of the path according to your reader's firmware version).

3) Near the end of the file you will see this code:
Code:
		<function id="initialized">
			USBDispatcher.doRegister(this.getWindow())
			this.getDevice().doProcessed(100);
			this.getDevice().enableBlueLED(true);
		</function>
4) Replace that code with this (stolen/lifted/adapted from kartu's excellent work):
Code:
			try {
				var path = "/Data/autorun.js";
				if(FileSystem.getFileInfo(path)) {
					var f = new Stream.File(path);
					try {
						var fn = new Function("target", f.toString(), path, 1);
						fn(this);
					} finally {
						f.close();
					}
				}
			} catch(ignore) {
			}
		</function>
5) Copy autorun.js and the folder addons and its contents from Kartu's Book By Folder ZIP file to the root of your reader's internal memory.

6) Continue flashing as you would with PRS Customizer (boot with SD card inserted, choose "5) Make a new image", then "6) Flash the image")

7) Reboot and you are done!
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
prepak
I don't mind, but you could update the files directly in projects repository on google code.
I don't know how. How about I post the modified files somewhere where you can download them?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
pepak
Guru

Updates you may want to do to Books By Folder

1) Storing the addons in a different directory
Edit (Internal Mem)/autorun.js. On first line, you can change the root directory of addons to whatever suits you; I use /Data/database/software/addons/:
Code:
this.addonRoot = "/Data/database/software/addons/";
2) Moving autorun.js to a different directory
Use PRS Customizer to prepare your custom reader, then modify file applicationStart.xml as detailed in this post. The sixth line in the modified part tells where the autorun.js file is located. I use /Data/database/software/autorun.js:
Code:
			try {
				var path = "/Data/database/software/autorun.js";
				if(FileSystem.getFileInfo(path)) {
					var f = new Stream.File(path);
					try {
						var fn = new Function("target", f.toString(), path, 1);
						fn(this);
					} finally {
						f.close();
					}
				}
			} catch(ignore) {
			}
		</function>
3) Browse all of internal memory by folders
Open (Internal Memory)/addons/_BrowseByFolder.js. Search for /Data/database/media/books and replace it with /Data. There are two instances that need changing:

Line 246:
Code:
	var rootFolder = "/Data/database/media/books/";
to
Code:
	var rootFolder = "/Data/";
Line 339:
Code:
		var node = new FolderNode("/Data/database/media/books", "", "directory", "Internal Memory", NodeKinds.INTERNAL_MEM);
to:
Code:
		var node = new FolderNode("/Data", "", "directory", "Internal Memory", NodeKinds.INTERNAL_MEM);
(Notice that it ends with slash in the first case and doesn't end with slash in the second case.)
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #21
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I don't know how. How about I post the modified files somewhere where you can download them?
Yes, that would do.
If you have google account I'd add you to developer list, then you would get rights to add downloads, do code changes etc.

PS
Forgot to thank you for your involvement in this, thank you, pepak!

Last edited by kartu; 12-07-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
MarkLatham
MarkLatham began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
On my PRS-505 I copy the files to the memory card, reset the device and no matter what function I select, I get:
Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.1.00.18040

Help!
I would really like this update please.

Thanks!

Mark
MarkLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Very interesting! Thank you.

Send the icon files (Books by folder, games and utilities, Internal memory, SD Card ...) for flashing, please. It's posible?

I supose there are a new KBookIcon.png, no?
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #24
ijrobertson
ijrobertson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Will this work with the SD card auto-loading dictionary already released? Or is that impossible. Good work in any case.
ijrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #25
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLatham View Post
On my PRS-505 I copy the files to the memory card, reset the device and no matter what function I select, I get:
Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.1.00.18040

Help!
I would really like this update please.

Thanks!

Mark
I guess this is the message from universal flasher? If yes, it's easy to trick, just create folder with corresponding name in the root of the SD card. HOWEVER better check with prscustomizer guys whether there are other pitfalls, not to brick your reader!!!

2surquizu
I'll create new repository "firmware" and upload all files there (including mentioned png image) in a few hours. (on google code)

UPDATE: done. You can get files from:
http://code.google.com/p/sony-prs505...?repo=firmware
kbookIcon.png is the file you need.

2ijrobertson
It will work, however I don't like the way released dictionaries work (grep-ing entire files) and still ponder on whether to include them.
If somebody could suggest any (preferably open) _indexed_ dictionary format, with index that is reasonably easy to parse (compression is more or less the only show stopper), that'd be of great help.

I plan to add word selection feature, so that you can select words in 3 steps:
1) pressing 1-0 buttons and selecting 1-5 rows from the page
2) pressing 1-0 buttons and chosing one of the lines chosen in step 1
3) choosing a word from the line chosen in step 2

But this will rather come some time in January - February 2010.

Last edited by kartu; 12-10-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #26
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Thank you very much!

Another question, is it easy to include another games (five Balls and mahjong)? How?
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #27
kartu
PRS+ author

surquizu
Depends on the game actually, but rather easy. You have 2 options

1) examine the sources, namely sudoku.js and corresponding folder content and suggest your own patch to add the mentioned games
2) paste links to the games and I'll integrate them myself (can't promise that it will be today or tomorrow, but rather sooner than later)
Old 12-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #28
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Additionally, you can disable card scanning by creating .noscan file in the root (works only with MM/SD cards). In this case, you'll be able to copy books from the card (to the /database/media/books folder of the internal memory) using Browse by Folder menu option.
Sorry to sound silly, but could you elaborate on how do I disable card scanning? Am pretty new to these hacks and I'm afraid I may brick my reader if I were to try and assume things.
I've recently installed PRS Customizer onto my 505 and would love to try this out too, to be able to have all my books on one card is awesome. :D
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #29
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Confused about which file to download

Quote:
2surquizu
I'll create new repository "firmware" and upload all files there (including mentioned png image) in a few hours. (on google code)

UPDATE: done. You can get files from:
http://code.google.com/p/sony-prs505...?repo=firmware
kbookIcon.png is the file you need.
I've been playing with the thought to customize my 505, too. Then I found this thread, and I like the idea of the books by folder really a lot. But I'm not sure which files I need. I would love to get some new Icons, the books by folder and the uniform sized letters for the menu.

Can you help?

Thanks
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #30
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcandy View Post
Sorry to sound silly, but could you elaborate on how do I disable card scanning? Am pretty new to these hacks and I'm afraid I may brick my reader if I were to try and assume things.
Don't worry. Once the firmware is flashed, there is little you can do to brick your Reader, and disabling scanning certainly won't do it.

What you need to do, copy any file to the reader (e.g. in Windows Explorer, right click on an image, choose Copy, then open the Reader, right click in an empty space and click Paste) and rename it to .nocard.

I've recently installed PRS Customizer onto my 505 and would love to try this out too, to be able to have all my books on one card is awesome. [/QUOTE]