Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It'll be free, just like everything I plan on releasing
Well I'll pay for it anyway
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
(edit : oops, should have refreshed the page before i posted...)

about the 2nd version of the Song of Insects cover :
i like this one better as well, although i might suggest inversing the wings so that the little curl on the bottom of the clef makes a swallow tail. i agree the font is better. out of curiosity, have you tried it without the decorative lines ? or maybe with just one instead of both (i would remove the top one) ? it's hard to say but they might be drawing attention away from the butterfly.

about the new ghosts cover : gorgeous ! i don't know if i would want to read it (i don't like scary stories. i'm a big baby that way.) but if the title didn't have "ghosts" in it it definitely would.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(edit : oops, should have refreshed the page before i posted...)

about the 2nd version of the Song of Insects cover :
i like this one better as well, although i might suggest inversing the wings so that the little curl on the bottom of the clef makes a swallow tail. i agree the font is better. out of curiosity, have you tried it without the decorative lines ? or maybe with just one instead of both (i would remove the top one) ? it's hard to say but they might be drawing attention away from the butterfly.

about the new ghosts cover : gorgeous ! i don't know if i would want to read it (i don't like scary stories. i'm a big baby that way.) but if the title didn't have "ghosts" in it it definitely would.
Your points on the second cover are exactly what I was thinking, I'll give it a shot and post the results

As to the Ghosts thing, I don't write out-and-out horror even when I'm writing horror - I have no stomach for gore and violence in my own writing. In the sense of this particular story the Ghosts title it's more metaphorical than anything else. I'd go further, but I'll let you decide when it's finished
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(i don't like scary stories. i'm a big baby that way.) but if the title didn't have "ghosts" in it it definitely would.
Oh... you didn't read Four and Twenty Blackbirds? One of the Tor freebees. It was very good!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #20
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Tried the swallow-tail as suggested but it just never came out looking right. Here's the latest version, furthering the musical notation motif.

Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moejoe, I like this latest version of the musical notation motif.

Couple of things: for some reason the word "The" above "Song of Insects" strikes me as off (Maybe the type of font used? A need to be centered?) and the design below the center graphic should be directly below the the overlap of the clefs.

What is genre of the book? The color of the cover leads me to believe that the story is something stark. The title makes me want to know what is beyond the cover.....
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #22
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Moejoe, I like this latest version of the musical notation motif.

Couple of things: for some reason the word "The" above "Song of Insects" strikes me as off (Maybe the type of font used? A need to be centered?) and the design below the center graphic should be directly below the the overlap of the clefs.

What is genre of the book? The color of the cover leads me to believe that the story is something stark. The title makes me want to know what is beyond the cover.....
You're right on both counts, the "the" is off completely, just doesn't fit and in my rush I forgot to re-position the divider. Thanks for pointing those out

The story is science-fiction... it takes place on the back of a walking city as its progresses from winter to spring and involves a young girl on the eve of her sixteen birthday searching for the spirit of her mother - which in this universe is trapped, like all the memories of the dead, in a holographic insect body. It's a journey story, a transition from youth into adulthood. And also, there's an intelligent bicycle

Last edited by Moejoe; 02-24-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #23
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
And also, there's an intelligent bicycle
Well, thank the gods for that then! Up until that point I was getting bored at the sheer normality of it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #24
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The story is science-fiction... it takes place on the back of a walking city as its progresses from winter to spring and involves a young girl on the eve of her sixteen birthday searching for the spirit of her mother - which in this universe is trapped, like all the memories of the dead, in a holographic insect body. It's a journey story, a transition from youth into adulthood. And also, there's an intelligent bicycle
Sounds all the more interesting...The holographic insect body makes me think how cool it would be to see that in the cover-- or at least a beautiful butterfly (or maybe it's colorless until released or saved - then becomes beautiful?)

Also, maybe something besides muted brown for the cover? Spring and butterflies make me think of color (yeah, some of us are suckers for "pretty" and will be drawn into picking / checking out a book just because it's "pretty").

for being so generous in sharing your work with us.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #25
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Sounds all the more interesting...The holographic insect body makes me think how cool it would be to see that in the cover-- or at least a beautiful butterfly (or maybe it's colorless until released or saved - then becomes beautiful?)

Also, maybe something besides muted brown for the cover? Spring and butterflies make me think of color (yeah, some of us are suckers for "pretty" and will be drawn into picking / checking out a book just because it's "pretty").

for being so generous in sharing your work with us.
I'll be working on alternative covers for everything I do, and probably post up the variants and have a poll or something here on Mobileread before I put the books out there. So far I have a loose schedule (subject to drastic change)

Mid-March Release -- Small Victories (short story collection)
End of March -- The Song of Insects
Mid-April - The Mortgage of Ghosts

The website should be up around the same time as Small Victories is released. I'm still toying around with the idea of releasing a standard version on Feedbooks and a special-edition for Mobile Read (with extra stories and the like).

Lots to think about, and all of it fun
Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
You're right on both counts, the "the" is off completely, just doesn't fit and in my rush I forgot to re-position the divider. Thanks for pointing those out

an intelligent bicycle !!!! well, now you've got me.

i like this new version (minor details already mentioned aside). i think it works much better using only the musical notations, and taking out the top divider line really lightens the design.
Quote:
I'll be working on alternative covers for everything I do, and probably post up the variants and have a poll or something here on Mobileread before I put the books out there. So far I have a loose schedule (subject to drastic change)

The website should be up around the same time as Small Victories is released. I'm still toying around with the idea of releasing a standard version on Feedbooks and a special-edition for Mobile Read (with extra stories and the like).

those sound like some excellent projects. i don't usually like science fiction much but i'm looking forward to these. i might even try the ghost story, since you've promised me no gore. of course, if it's too spooky i'll have to come find you and beat you up for all the sleep i'll be losing while i huddle terrified in my bed, jumping at the slightest sound.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #27
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:

Yes, yes, we looove polls around here

Quote:

Oh YEAH!! That would be soooo great!

Keep us informed on what is happening
Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #28
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
I liked the cover with the insect/butterfly head/body on it, with the clefs as the wings.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Both covers are beautiful. In fact, a framed print of Song of Insects would look nice in my dining room. May I steal it?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
You should release this one sooner, what with the housing market collapse and mortgage banking industry in chaos.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote