Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
RonaldJJames
RonaldJJames began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Any problems with library downloads?

I'm considering buying a PRS 505 and woud like to download eBooks from my local library. So I did a trial download and read the eBook on my laptop. During this exercise I downloaded Adobe's Digital Editions and I noticed that DE made a connection to the web every time I re-opened the book. I presume this was to validate whether my (librray downloaded) eBook had expired. (Just guessing here).

So would I be able to read this type of book on the Sony reader? Would (can) the Sony reader need to connect to the web to ensure the book has not expired?

Thanks
RonaldJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nope. Sorry. You can't read DE ebooks on the Sony Reader.

If you're interested in library ebooks, then you might want to check to see if your library has ebooks in Mobipocket format. If so, you could read them on the Cybook, which is made by Bookeen.

P.S. Welcome to MobileRead.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
My library's downloadable books require the installation of proprietary software for reading. It's software which has a time limit for the book you have checked out. It stops working after a specified amount of time, just as if I had checked it out and returned it.

No way to transfer to any other devices.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
The Cybook should work with mobipocket format library books, but it does not work at this time. Bookeen is aware of the problem and has told me in an email that this problem will be fixed in the next firmware update.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
According to Sony, they should be having a version of DE for the 505. When, we don't know. But that said, the eBooks from the library are PDF and they won't be all that wonderful to be honest.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert