Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wow, Kobo Touch is incredible!

I had a 1st Gen Kobo, and later a Vox, and returned both. I don't know if I changed, or if this ereader is that much better, but it's a keeper!

Battery life is INCREDIBLE, page turning is super fast, screen looks great, the wireless sync is superb, and the "extras" such as the web browser and Sudoku are great! I found the browser disturbingly usable for basic browsing actually. I always wanted that "free 3g" kindle years ago, and you know, for the right price, I would buy one now for traveling.

Anyway, I really lucked out, as a girl had bought one for her mother in law as a gift, who ended up having one. The return period was expired, so I got it off her brand new for much less than retail. I had some books already from my Kobo Vox experiment, so I was up and running in no time.

If they manage to get a backlight on these ala the new Nook, I would upgrade.

I am blown away at how amazing a product the Touch is compared to the Vox and the Kobo 1st Gen. Just blown away.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I had a 1st Gen Kobo, and later a Vox, and returned both. I don't know if I changed, or if this ereader is that much better, but it's a keeper!

Battery life is INCREDIBLE, page turning is super fast, screen looks great, the wireless sync is superb, and the "extras" such as the web browser and Sudoku are great! I found the browser disturbingly usable for basic browsing actually. I always wanted that "free 3g" kindle years ago, and you know, for the right price, I would buy one now for traveling.

Anyway, I really lucked out, as a girl had bought one for her mother in law as a gift, who ended up having one. The return period was expired, so I got it off her brand new for much less than retail. I had some books already from my Kobo Vox experiment, so I was up and running in no time.

If they manage to get a backlight on these ala the new Nook, I would upgrade.

I am blown away at how amazing a product the Touch is compared to the Vox and the Kobo 1st Gen. Just blown away.
A light, you say?

Your wish is my command.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
LOL. That was a fast product upgrade. The new ereader looks great but the glo doesn't make me want it as I love my KT and attached book light.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
I might change my mind when I see it though!
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
So, when does the touch get glow as a firmware upgrade :-D
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Yes please
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
A light, you say?

Your wish is my command.
Lol, great timing!
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
The day after your five year old automobile gets a free, no charge upgrade to the latest model year.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post

[snip]

It is really good to ear someone enthusing so much about the KT. After spending some time around the "buggier" parts of the forums, it is easy to forget just how good the KT is! Thank you so much for the reminder
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've bought a KT last week and I'm loving it. My first ereader too. The only thing I'm snarky about though is if I'd waited just a bit longer I could have got the Glow model. I do find my screen a bit dull, so that it does need a light.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
It is really good to ear someone enthusing so much about the KT. After spending some time around the "buggier" parts of the forums, it is easy to forget just how good the KT is! Thank you so much for the reminder
Yeah. Me too. If someone gets all enthusiastic I remember how fiercely I love my Touch (((But grrr @ it not having a front light )))

I'm not quite sure about earing someone though
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
I've bought a KT last week and I'm loving it. My first ereader too. The only thing I'm snarky about though is if I'd waited just a bit longer I could have got the Glow model. I do find my screen a bit dull, so that it does need a light.
Aren't you still within returning time since purchase? I'd try returning it if I were you!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #13
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm not quite sure about earing someone though
I was just checking that you were paying attention (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! )
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #14
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Aren't you still within returning time since purchase? I'd try returning it if I were you!
How would I go about that Mrs_Often? I've opened it and used it and still have the box but not the plastic wraps for the cord. Officeworks (Australia) give a 12-month warranty but that may be only for a fault, and then they might insist on replacing it. I do love the sound of the Glo model though, though I suppose to buy a light for my KT is no huge chore. .
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
How would I go about that Mrs_Often? I've opened it and used it and still have the box but not the plastic wraps for the cord. Officeworks (Australia) give a 12-month warranty but that may be only for a fault, and then they might insist on replacing it. I do love the sound of the Glo model though, though I suppose to buy a light for my KT is no huge chore. .
Mmm that's indeed tricky. You could phone Officeworks and ask them if they accept returns (if you pack the KT up nicely). You could argue that you would have waited for the Glo had they mentioned it was on its way... I know it's a long shot, but it's worth it (because, oh! the glo! ). I'd try it if I'd just bought the KT.

Someone else (ng7apoc) managed a return for the same reason: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190433 but they were in the UK and they'd used a different USB cable so that was still wrapped up in its packaging...

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-12-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: adding the smiley I couldn't find before