Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
vmonkey
vmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Custom pdf reader from the home screen?

Hi all,
you may find this thread stupid and useless and if so, just sorry for spamming.

So what's the point? I really like this project (KPDFreader) and really thought of "Could there be a way to open a PDF file in that pdf-viewer directly from the Kindle 3 home screen instead of in the default pdf-reader?"

The first thing I've decided to do was getting of all files from the root of my Kindle. This thing I've done with this terminal emulator by just running
Code:
tar -c -z -f /mount/us/archive.bzip /
and this file I extracted to my computer, again with tar - so now I have a full directory and file structure of my Kindle 3 (However it takes a while and you need to have a lot of free space on your Kindle).

Now, as I have all the sources, it is needed to decompile amazon jar files and see whats happening there. And that is my problem, because I really do not understand JAVA.

Does anyone know how to continue? Is it possible to just alias the command which runs the built-in-pdf-reader to the one I want to use? Or change few lines in one of the /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ files? If so, how is it backy reversible?
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote