Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Prefixes

I (we) may have picked a bad one for the White PW-3 - - -

Calling it: PW-3W is suggestive of other model nicknames where we add a 'W' to indicate "Wifi (only)".

I would like to suggest we use: WPW-3 (White, PaperWhite, 3)
before we get too immersed in using my carelessly picked nickname.

= = = =

The nickname for the Oasis model, KOA, was "technical group" chosen in the middle of the night when we needed something for file naming purposes.

We rejected: KO (Kindle Oasis) because of possible confusion with "Knock Out" model (which it might be when you consider the (sticker shock) price).

We rejected: OZ (an abbreviation of 'Oasis') because we thought our Australian members might never speak to us again.

Some authorities we found said that Oa (or OA) was the proper, 2 letter, abbreviation of 'Oasis'.

So: Kindle Oasis -> Kindle OA -> KOA it became.
Regardless of the chance it might be further nicknamed the "Campground Model" (somehow related to Kampgrounds Of America).

So KOA it is, unless someone comes up with some truly brilliant idea.

= = = =

The sequence of the 'Kindle Basic' models -
<insert picture of can of worms here>

The background:
The first 'Kindle Basic' showed up when we (Mobileread technical people in this forum) had started using the firmware major number as part of the name.
I.E: that made it the: K4 (which it still is).

And then the first touchscreen Kindle showed up -
the K5 (because of the firmware major number) or alternately the KT (because it was also publicly known as the 'Kindle Touch')

Then the *next* 'Kindle Basic' showed up -
(and the can of worms came open)
Open up both the first and second 'Kindle Basic' models, turn over the display/motherboard unit, lay them side-by-side and you can easily see that its proper nickname should be: "K4-2".

But that was too easy to miswrite or misread as the Amazon 'Kindle Basic' model K42 (2057) model.

Since it also had a touch screen (the same IR touch screen of the original K5 (or KT) model), it became the: KT-2
Note that using the major (first number) of the firmware number had fallen into a black hole - everything since the original K5 runs a firmware with a major number of '5' (the Kindle Fire has its locks on '6').

Well, we technical people may not be any better than the marketing people at naming things, but at least we have a reason.

So the Kindle Basic series as it now stands (with the third 'Kindle Basic' arriving soon) is:
K4 - first 'Basic'
KT-2 (or KT2) - second 'Basic' (technically a K4-2)
KT-3 (or KT3) - third 'Basic' (technically a K4-3)
and for next year, when the can of worms falls over:
KT-4 (or KT4) - fourth 'Basic' (notice chance of confusion with K4)

Unless someone comes up with a truly brilliant suggestion to put a major turn in this road headed for a cliff next year -
I think we are stuck (by history) to the above path.

As the Roman Solder pinned to the ground by a lance through his chest is quoted as saying:
"It only hurts when I laugh."

= = = =

The most recent choices have not (yet) been carved into stone (I.E: written into the forum software as prefix filter names) - -

NOW is the time for people to speak up with those inspired, brilliant, suggestions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I thought this was in our private group. It was linked from there. Oops.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-09-2016 at 11:57 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have my dibs on k9 - see http://KayNine.info

Last edited by knc1; 07-10-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am okay with this.

The Kindle Touch models, have the regulation touchscreen, organized by release date.
The Paperwhites, have the regulation frontlit touchscreen, organized by release date.
The Voyage and Oasis are special one-off models which don't fit as regulation-issue "paper-white" devices. (If Amazon wants to make them into a whole line, okay, we'll stick a number after them.)

So we can just keep on like that.
I doubt Amazon will release multiple non-frontlit touchscreen devices at a time, which is the only thing that seriously screws up our ability to keep to this path.

If people can't tell the difference between a KT4 and K4, I don't care. It is much less ambiguous than a K4-2 <-->K42.

tl;dr
Just tell everyone this is exactly what we intended.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The single biggest service our prefixes provide is disambiguating the "All-new Kindle" name.

We at least have highly-consistent version specifiers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
- - - - -
tl;dr
Just tell everyone this is exactly what we intended.
Planned this way from the start.
I am alright with that.

But since the subject of prefixes is still pending (it got push aside by more pressing matters (no pun intended)), I wanted to get the story in front of everyone.

And I see a little bit of "Keystone Cop" slapstick humor in it myself.

As I wrote in the story, we aren't doing any worse than the marketing people at Amazon.