Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #106
pepe2602
pepe2602 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd
New Firmware V 1.28 for story HD (Basic)

Only a few days after releasing FW 1.27 iRiver released this new FW update.

Reports have been from one brave user who succeeded to install it.

To Frostschutz: Well spoken, Sir! Good advices that techies should follow.

But: Many down-to-earth users will not have the ability to dig through thousands of lines of linux-code as you have.

And:

Who in his right mind would name a patch file in the same way as the original OS?

Who in his right mind would name all update-files the same (storyeb07.hex) so no one can distinguish between different versions?

Who in his right mind would give the user not a single line of text desribing how to install things? It would cost the writing of 20 lines of text for a readme-file.

What good software practice is it, not checking the integrity of a patch/update before installing the same?

What good software/hardware practice is it, not having a way from recovering from faulty updates?

A lot of questions remain unsolved ...
pepe2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #107
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A small side by side comparison between Story HD and Kindle Wifi. I slapped both devices onto my stone age flatbet scanner and hit the scan button. Image was reduced in size afterwards, otherwise not modified in any way.

The Kindle display seems to be slightly lighter in color than the Story HD (both black and white). Other than that the displays are about the same quality. The Kindle had horrible Ghosting (had to reload the shown page 3-4 times to get rid of ghosting), but I assume this could be a firmware / configuration problem that the device doesn't reset the screen properly.

With large text such as shown in the sample picture, the Story HD's higher resolution isn't really visible to the naked eye. It's more pronounced when using smaller fonts or when working with images (manga).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storyhd_vs_kindlewifi.jpg
Views:	1204
Size:	743.3 KB
ID:	78922  
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #108
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiessl View Post
[*] Bug (?): In landscape mode, documents can not be zoomed in/out. The zoom level is fixed to fit the width of the page. For documents with a lot of space landscape-zooming would be desirable.
I've just bought mine for $99 at Target - after having returned Kindle Touch that is cheap for good reasons (stripped down as compared to Kindle 3).

The screen is great - due to a better resolution you can read smaller fonts.
Still I'd like to be able to change font - not only the font size.

And lack of zoom in the landscape view is really something not simply annoying but just surprising - it is so obviously needed!
I am not sure why they skipped this feature.
I used to own Pocketbook 301+: you switch to the landscape and the characters are automatically scaled to fit the screen.
That's the purpose of landscape mode - what's the use of it if the characters stay the same size as in the letter mode? Of course, I can fiddle with the letter view: count the pixels and make the page exactly the size that would fit the screen after switching to the landscape mode.
But that should be done by the reader software.

(I am speaking about image-scanned pdfs)

I am going to leave them a feedback on their site if possible.
Is there a forum on the iriver site?. I did not notice.
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #109
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz View Post
Still I'd like to be able to change font - not only the font size.
I've done that, using a userstyle.css (you have to root it / change some system files to make it work), but it does not really work well with most other fonts - tried to make it work with the LinLibertine font to no avail. It did work somewhat okay with a funny random stencil font but the result was not very appeasing. I haven't found out what exactly it is that makes one font work over another.

Then again I haven't tried it with the latest firmwares - I only have the basic version and I'm still using the old 1.13 firmware which does not have this annoying "you are now on page X" progress bar animation on every page.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #110
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post

The Kindle display seems to be slightly lighter in color than the Story HD (both black and white).
With large text such as shown in the sample picture, the Story HD's higher resolution isn't really visible to the naked eye. It's more pronounced when using smaller fonts or when working with images (manga).
I have the same impressions.
I can read smaller fonts on iriver Story (alas, mostly taking off my glasses)
than on Kindle 3. I think I can get used to the slightly grayer background.

But scaling on the iriver Story HD is so annoyingly bad! Only very small increase in 4 steps. And no scaling in landscape mode!? So, what's the use of it?

Ironically, Kindle 3 gives you scaling options: 100, 150, 200% - which makes the steps too large.
I miss my broken Pocketbook 301+

Still there is time to explore more possibilities with iriver - 45 days (now 44) to return it to Target
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #111
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Quote:
(you have to root it / change some system files to make it work)
I'm very curious about rooting the Story HD, or at least getting access to the "system files". Do you have any links to information on this? Does it work with the wifi model?
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #112
frostschutz
Linux User

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/StoryHD

http://pastebin.com/0hREr33G
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #113
pepe2602
pepe2602 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd
Whre are the bookmarks ?

I have switched to Firmware 1.28.

I can enter bookmarks as usual and the small triangle shows up in the lower right corner.

But where the f**ck is a button to get back to a certain bookmark-entry? Especially for a previously read different book? OOPS, found it!

Last edited by pepe2602; 01-12-2012 at 05:51 AM.
pepe2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #114
frostschutz
Linux User

I made this mod for the German Story HD Wifi. When you select the book shop, it shows a Web Portal instead, where you can select the actual book shop, or various other sites, or enter any URL. The portal itself is a HTML file you can edit to your liking, so you can put in your own links.

I could probably do the same for the US model, but I don't own it, and I have yet to determine if the setup is identical to the point that the firmwares are interexchangeable so I could freely switch between German and US flavour of Story HD Wifi.

Of course I could just do it blindly and hope it actually works and doesn't brick your stuff. Any volunteers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webportal.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	81153  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #115
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Well I think that's pretty cool.
Other than using Wi-Fi for transferring Google books to the device, I really can't see browsing on an e-ink device. I know a lot of people do and more power to them. Too many page refreshes for my tastes. So I admire the effort but am an unwilling Guinea Pig for the US version.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #116
frostschutz
Linux User

Someone's posted a nice review (pictures and video) for manga/japanese on the Story HD Basic (old firmware):

http://ebookyaro.blogspot.de/2012/03...ic-ver113.html
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #117
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by perma View Post
This version I got is the so called the basic version and contrary to the CES preview it lacks wifi. I paid about 220 $ for it here in Sweden which included our vat of 25%.
Does Sweden have the Wifi version of the Story HD?

Just asking because today a 1.30 SWE firmware was released.

The Germans are still waiting for 1.29...
Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #118
perma
perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'perma knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Cybook Opus, Iriver Story HD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Does Sweden have the Wifi version of the Story HD?

Just asking because today a 1.30 SWE firmware was released.

The Germans are still waiting for 1.29...
Nowadays I think that you can only get the Wifi version in Sweden, they don't sell the basic version here anymore. Thats what you get for being an early adopter
perma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #119
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Does anybody know if there is going to be a 1.30 release for the United States Story HD
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #120
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
I would be surprised if we see any more firmware updates for the US Story HD. That said, I really have no idea.

Target no longer lists it on their web site. I had a sales associate do a store search for stores in SE WI yesterday and he found none in stock. It's listed as discontinued in his in-store(s) inventory. As they were the only US retail outlet that carried it my thought is that aside from a few online sources, this product has pretty much finished its sales cycle. Combine that with the fact that most of the major bugs having been addressed, I see little reason for iriver to spend much time adding features or fixing the "bricking" problem. They would have already done it if they were going to. I'll actually be surprised if they release another model in the US.

At least we are left with a very usable device. We enjoy ours and use them daily in my household.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote