Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #661
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Is it possible to just flat out download 2.5.8 and reinstall it?
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #662
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Is it possible to just flat out download 2.5.8 and reinstall it?
No.
Amazon did not ship complete images back in those days, only incremental image updates.
That is one of the reasons the directions for the Frankenstein series 3 firmware on series 2 devices tells you to keep a backup of your 2.5.8 firmware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #663
zelfdoen
Kindle k3-dxg fan
zelfdoen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, K3KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No.
Amazon did not ship complete images back in those days, only incremental image updates.
That is one of the reasons the directions for the Frankenstein series 3 firmware on series 2 devices tells you to keep a backup of your 2.5.8 firmware.
After I found that the Amazon Kindle Store stopped working on my jailbroken DX-G on 3.1 (after the Amazon update I acepted) I used my 2.5.8 backup firmware to restore to that old version. When back on that stock firmware the Kindle Store worked again, and I bought a Kindle Single short story without any problem.

Then I did a full factory reset, re-installed the 3.2.1 formware, did factory reset again, an re-registered the device. Now the Kindle Store was broken again, not able to connect. But downloading my Archived Kindle books and that short story worked well. So the 3G connection works but the Store is gone.

I think I will wait for March 22 to see how others are affected and then maybe try the road to 3.4.2 to try to restore the Kindle Store.

But... I think maybe restoring the 2.5.8 firmware using the backup binary does not completely cleanup the device ? Could there be some config file hidden somewhere in another place that controls the connection protocols for the store ? Just curious...
zelfdoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #664
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That all depends on what you included in your backup.
IIRC, the DX has 7 (or 11) partitions, well, a lot more than one or two in any case.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #665
zelfdoen
Kindle k3-dxg fan
zelfdoen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, K3KB
Quote:
That all depends on what you included in your backup.
IIRC, the DX has 7 (or 11) partitions, well, a lot more than one or two in any case.
Aha, thanks, I understand (a bit). I was referring to the 'backup' created by the Yifanlu firmware upgrade procedure, in the 'output' folder, named 'update_restore-os.bin'. There is also another file there named 'rootfs.img'. I restored my DXG to version 2.5.8 using the update_restore-os.bin file and the normal Kindle firmware update action. I guess that that is not really the same as a 'real' restore. It worked, but did not help with my real problem of getting back the Kindle Store in 3.1 and 3.2.1.

I assume that restoring the rootfs image using usbNetworking would be more convincing to the device. But that is still just one of many partitions I understand. So my backup is probably incomplete anyway

So maybe I will just give it a rest now and wait to hear if K3 firmware 3.4.2 on K2 devices is sufficient to access the Kindle Store after whatever action Amazon will take next month.

Maybe someone will figure out a somewhat less intimidating process to get from 3.3 to 3.4.2. In the meantime thanks for all the help and info.
zelfdoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #666
zlodei
zlodei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Unhappy Updating 2.5.8 to 3.1 - error 0003

Hello guys!

I receive 0003 error while updating my Kindle DXG (worldwide) from 2.5.8 to 3.1. I mean "prepare-kindle (to 2.5.8)" package worked without error and I had an output folder with all stuff. Next, I copied the precompiled bin and restarted the Kindle. Update bar fill up completely.
Than I put rootfs.img and update_k3g-3.1-create_updater.bin to Kindle usb root.
Update menu was gray (non-active) so I restarted the device.
When update bar show up the error 0003 appears.
I tried to create a blank text file named "NO_VALIDITY_CHECKS.txt" in root with no result.

Please help!!!
zlodei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #667
zlodei
zlodei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlodei View Post
Hello guys!

I receive 0003 error while updating my Kindle DXG (worldwide) from 2.5.8 to 3.1. I mean "prepare-kindle (to 2.5.8)" package worked without error and I had an output folder with all stuff. Next, I copied the precompiled bin and restarted the Kindle. Update bar fill up completely.
Than I put rootfs.img and update_k3g-3.1-create_updater.bin to Kindle usb root.
Update menu was gray (non-active) so I restarted the device.
When update bar show up the error 0003 appears.
I tried to create a blank text file named "NO_VALIDITY_CHECKS.txt" in root with no result.

Please help!!!
I'd like to celebrate post #666 above )))
zlodei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #668
donB006
Connoisseur
donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.donB006 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle k3G 3.4.2; DXG 2.5.8; DXG 3.1; Iriver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlodei View Post
Hello guys!
I receive 0003 error while updating my Kindle DXG (worldwide) from 2.5.8 to 3.1. Please help!!!
Are you using a Kindle Keyboard with 3.1 OS to make the update BIN for the DXG?
Be sure to read the README in the kindleupdater.zip by Yifan Lu.
Please explain your steps in more detail.

Last edited by donB006; 03-07-2016 at 09:19 PM.
donB006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #669
mrkapqa
mrkapqa began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1, prs-t3,
Hello , i have a Kindle DXG which runs 2.5.8 and i can't register the device via Whispernet - it would say - can't connect - would this update 3.1.2 help me to register the device?
mrkapqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #670
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkapqa View Post
Hello , i have a Kindle DXG which runs 2.5.8 and i can't register the device via Whispernet - it would say - can't connect - would this update 3.1.2 help me to register the device?
Apply the "Amazon Services Update" as you should have done last March.

Failure is the only indication that it was not installed, it does not change the visible version number.

- - - - -

In answer to your question: No
This procedure has not had the "ASU" installed in it either.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #671
stassk8
stassk8 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg, kindle pw3
Amazon Services Update apply successfully on dxg firmware 3.xx.
stassk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #672
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassk8 View Post
Amazon Services Update apply successfully on dxg firmware 3.xx.
Which update did you use?
The one for the device, 2.xx or the one for the firmware, 3.xx?
Old 03-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #673
stassk8

Quote:
Which update did you use?
The one for the device, 2.xx or the one for the firmware, 3.xx?
Service update for dx 2.5.8 on device dxg firmware 3.xx, update completed.

Prompt, firmware 3.4.2 contains the same certificates and updates on this firmware does not make sense or does firmware 3.4.2 still have an OTA update?
Old 03-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #674
knc1
Going Viral

Is your problem fixed?
If so, we can quit troubleshooting it.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #675
stassk8

everything works except purchases in store - "you must first register user account", although registration is. On settings 411 - registration yes, certificate yes, time correct, it's not clear what's wrong.

Last edited by stassk8; 03-31-2019 at 02:13 PM.