Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
dacattt
Connoisseur
dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Astak 6 EZ Reader Plus
Read all about it! Device owners read more books, magazines and newspapers

The Los Angeles Times had this survey info: Device owners read more books, magazines and newspapers

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ewspapers.html

I think their results, heavy readers adopt new reader technology first... is a DAH moment... but nice to see stats back up the assumption.
dacattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
On the flip side though, from my own personal experience, I would say that having an ebook reader has actually lead to me reading more than I was before. There are a few other reasons for this.

1. Previously, obtaining books was often done once every few weeks and I had to pick multiple books. Often when I was thinking of starting a new book, none peaked my interest at that moment. Now, I can almost always find something between here, Baen, PG/Manybooks.net/Feedbooks and smashwords.

2. An ebook reader is more convenient to carry around than a hardback or trade paperback. Result, its usually with me.

3. Since ebooks never flip closed by accident, they are great for the Gym, or for places where I might need to stop fairly frequently for brief periods.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I too have read many more books than before I got my device. However, I am spending less time reading newspapers and magazines.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
CPhill505
CPhill505 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
I only read about one book a month before my sony because my husband is a tight-a$$ and I just didn't seem to find the time to go to the library. Now I can access the library from home and get as many free books as I can read. I'm also buying more because Mr. pucker-butt has no idea what I'm doing online
CPhill505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
On the flip side though, from my own personal experience, I would say that having an ebook reader has actually lead to me reading more than I was before. There are a few other reasons for this.

1. Previously, obtaining books was often done once every few weeks and I had to pick multiple books. Often when I was thinking of starting a new book, none peaked my interest at that moment. Now, I can almost always find something between here, Baen, PG/Manybooks.net/Feedbooks and smashwords.

2. An ebook reader is more convenient to carry around than a hardback or trade paperback. Result, its usually with me.

3. Since ebooks never flip closed by accident, they are great for the Gym, or for places where I might need to stop fairly frequently for brief periods.

--
Bill
Other than point 3 I agree (I don't goto the Gym so I can't comment, I do body pump instead).

Essentially what you have said I feel the same way. Also for me;

- The price of paperbacks in Australia led me to purchase from overseas, leading upto a 2 week delivery wait.
- Ebooks allow me to have a craving for a particular book and get it then and there. I can satisfy my reading urges instantly.
- With instant access I don't need to plan ahead what I am going to read. I buy what I want to read when I want.
- No stock issues. If a book is in ebook form I can buy it then and there. With paperbacks you need to wait for the store/supplier to get more stock in, by then I've usually lost interest.
- Book stores only push selected titles, they don't (well my local) doesn't really stock alot of sci-fi/fantasy/history.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've practically forgotten how I had to reread old books, because I hadn't been to a bookstore recently, and HAD to have something to read. Of course, I can reread books, if I want to (and have), but it isn't because I can't find something else to read, any more.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I've been reading on devices like PDA's , phones, an eBookwise, a Nokia N800, a jetBook and now a Sony for many years. I find so many free books to read at Gutenburg, Feedbooks, etc. that I don't feel the need to buy the current hot seller. Having such a good selection of free reading material also helps with the budget. I do purchase ebooks when necessary.

As for the LA Times survey, I read more because of the conveniences offered by an ebook reader device. Having the same content on a PC or laptop screen is not the same as having it on a handheld reader. In my case, this has nothing to do with any supposed "eye strain" issues from a lit screen. I sit in front of a computer every day.

The sheer portablilty and convenience of a dedicated reader lets me read at odd moments and locations that would not be possible with a computer. Weight and size also have a great deal to do with it. Even a small paperback is more cumbersome than an ereader.

As others have stated, ebooks mean no trips to the library or bookstore. There is also the benefit of not needing all that shelf space that pbooks require. Now that I live in a tiny apartment, that means a lot.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Of course, I can reread books, if I want to (and have), but it isn't because I can't find something else to read, any more.
I've lost count of how many times I've read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories since I was a small boy. Some stories are just so good that you never get tired of them.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
dacattt
Connoisseur
dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Astak 6 EZ Reader Plus
Time wise, I'm reading the same amount... but I'm back to my super-speed reading speed that used to have my college roommates threatening murder.

When I downloaded Calabre and started using the reader, rereading free book, I started devouring a book a night. Less web paper reading, but same time. Realized the format to just paperback book wide and being able to tweak font size up a bit was why my speed went back up again.

When I got my reader, a nice and light 6" Astak, I realized how hard it had gotten to be to hold open the book and get the light right...

Ooooop.... age creeping in???? Sigh. Yup... eyes wanted bigger print, and arthritis wants something I can prop and angle.

Consuming more books... does make it feel like I've more time in my day.
dacattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I now read many books, due to my kindle... Before my e-reader I never took a book to work, because it was always too heavy or I couldn't decide which one to take... Now I'm spending hours every day reading, whereas before it took me a long time to read a book - as in finding the book I was reading, finding the place I was up to, and forgetting all I'd read previously...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Mr. pucker-butt
Please please don't make me laugh so hard when I'm drinking tea! It tends to ruin monitors! (got to be the funniest thing I have read all week!)
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
TripletDad
Banned
TripletDad began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've been too busy working to read books. I bought a Kindle 3 for a photo shoot with my company's reading light (Beam N Read). Since it arrived I've read more books in the last few weeks than the last few years. I'm finding it more comfortable and convenient to read with the Kindle. For me, bumping the text up one notch in size makes the reading more comfortable. In the past, when I've flown, I usually carry some books but watch the movies instead of reading the books. About a week ago, I had to take a trip and spent most of the time on both flights reading - both fiction and business books. Perhaps heavy readers make up most of the early adopters (and it's still very early in the product's life - there were very few people with eReaders on the plane) - but device does make a difference.
TripletDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Ya know, not discounting anyone who reads ebooks, but I'm wondering if the reasons behind these numbers is less about people owning ereaders, and more about the fact that those who do are already prolific readers. Think about it. If you're someone who reads a lot, what are you going to do? Have your own public library full of print books in your house and constantly have to shovel all the read ones off to the library or book sales or other locations, or even store them? Or will you instead have a single device capable of holding a library full of books in your hand? I'd likely say the latter in all honesty. So there comes an interesting dilemma. If the early adopters are all prolific readers, what will happen to reading rates once everyone else starts to adopt ebooks and ebook readers?

Again, I'm in no way knocking ebooks or readers, but simply asking a question. Statistics always intrigue me, mostly because they're so often used by one party or another in order to back up their own claims, or refute the claims of others. But rarely is any background information given to go with those stats. I for one enjoy hunting down and theorizing about that hidden, or often times suppressed information. I for one would love to see Ebooks become the only source of printed material out there, which would in turn take a massive chunk out of the paper demand in this country, and even the world, as newspapers, publishers, and other organizations wouldn't need it anymore (or in very small quantities), which is good for the planet. Plus I wouldn't have to print anymore books for sale at events. I could just show up with a PC and sell ebooks right from my computer at the event (that's actually an idea I'm looking into).

But anyways, getting back to the original topic, I'd love to see what the true breakdown of readers is when it comes to ebooks. IE, were they a prolific reader before, and if so, was that the primary reason why they switched to ebooks? I think once we know that, we'll have a better idea how the market will evolve in the coming years, among other things. Also, if it turns out that only a small portion of ebook adopters were prolific readers, and the majority simply adopted it for the ease and convenience, or other reasons that normal print books can't fulfill, then that would make an even stronger case in favor of ebooks. However, if it was proven to be the first one, that only prolific readers were picking them up, then other strategies could be employed by the ebook community to change that.

Again, knowing the truth behind statistics can be very beneficial. The numbers themselves make great talking points, but the information itself is worth far more because, while talking points are nice, action plans are even better, and having the information behind the ebooks can provide that.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
ckim06
ckim06 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I don't think I would have ever gotten around to reading Count of Monte Cristo without my eReader. Funny how paying $200 for something will make you want to make the most of it.
ckim06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i'm definitely reading more after i got my ereading device. more space, less hassle, no clean up necessary (unless it's in the form of ebook deletion ). but i've always enjoyed reading. it's just that the convenience now makes it easier to read as much as i want
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote