Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Academic Books and E-Readers

Connectionist Models in Cognitive Psychology

Here is an example of an academic work available in electronic form.
Clicking on the cover produces a very nice e-reader. Its says "Powered By DXReader" in the lower right corner.

My questions:
1. Is this DX reader the same as the Kindle DX?
2. What is the file format for this e-reader?
3. Does Calibre support it?

- Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
Connectionist Models in Cognitive Psychology

Here is an example of an academic work available in electronic form.
Clicking on the cover produces a very nice e-reader. Its says "Powered By DXReader" in the lower right corner.

My questions:
1. Is this DX reader the same as the Kindle DX?
2. What is the file format for this e-reader?
3. Does Calibre support it?

- Fabe
1. No, this is a software based reader. There is no connection between this and the Kindle DX.

2. Unknown. They simply refer to it as "the DX Reader electronic format." It may be an encrypted epub since they mention that elsewhere - but that's sheer speculation.

3. No.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Hi Troy, thanks for your response. I have a note into the publisher's help desk asking about what they refer to as the "off-line" reader. If and when I get a response from them, I will post it here. - Fabe
Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Troy, thanks for your response. I have a note into the publisher's help desk asking about what they refer to as the "off-line" reader. If and when I get a response from them, I will post it here. - Fabe
Their "off-line" reader is just a standalone version of their web-based DX Reader. You can download the reader and install it locally and then download content to read offline.

Troy
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Fabe
Dylanologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Their "off-line" reader is just a standalone version of their web-based DX Reader. You can download the reader and install it locally and then download content to read offline.
Right. That's what I thought. However, I didn't see where this standalone version was available for download. Do you know the URL? Thanks. - Fabe
Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
troymc
Groupie

http://www.ebookstore.tandf.co.uk/ht...efaqs.asp#dxp4

Troy
Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Fabe
Dylanologist

Troy - Thanks for the link. It appears I am SOL as a Mac user. :-(
Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
troymc
Groupie

Quote:
Troy - Thanks for the link. It appears I am SOL as a Mac user. :-(
Yeah, as a linux user so am I.

But, that's Ok. I don't like DRM'd books anyways. Plus it's their loss - not ours.

Troy