Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Tinwolf
Greasy biker
Tinwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Be-book, Jetbook, Kindle
Kicked out of book when turning page

I recently bought and downloaded Foundation series by Isaac
Asimov on DRM mobipocket format.
On my be-book when I get to a certain page (in fact this has
so far happened on 2 seperate pages in Foundation) and try
to go to the next page I`m kicked out of the book back to
the file menu. This happens every single time.
On looking at the book on my PC using mobipocket reader I
can see a strange character which looks like a square on the same page as the one where I am kicked out on the be-book.
I can only assume it is this character which is causing the
problem.
I`ve tried downloading the book a couple of times with the
same result.
I`ve even tried buying the book from another site but it`s the same file with the same character.

Any ideas?
Is there a way to delete the character?
Tinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Complain to the people you bought it from. Get a refund. There's no easy* way to fix up the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinwolf View Post
can see a strange character which looks like a square on the same page as the one where I am kicked out on the be-book.
problem.
same result.
I`ve even tried buying the book from another site but it`s the same file with the same character.

Any ideas?

*OK, it /is/ possible. But it's complicated, and possibly breaks licences and/or laws. Because the first thing you'd need to do would be to strip the DRM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Tinwolf
Greasy biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Complain to the people you bought it from. Get a refund. There's no easy* way to fix up the book.
I already did that and bought the same book from another site but it`s the same file with the same strange character
Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried this book in Mobipocket Reader for Windows? If it works there, then it's a problem with the BeBook's firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried this book in Mobipocket Reader for Windows? If it works there, then it's a problem with the BeBook's firmware.
That does not follow. Just because some software does handle a broken MpbiPocket file it does not follow that software that do not handle it have a problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I had the same problem with my BeBook (running the 20090910 firmware) returning to the library on a certain place in a book. Looking at the book it probably choked on an image at that point. I converted the book to ePUB from the original Mobi and tried again; that worked.

It's probably an issue with the Mobi reader on the BeBook.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That does not follow. Just because some software does handle a broken MpbiPocket file it does not follow that software that do not handle it have a problem.
But how do we know the file is broken and not the implementation of the reading software?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
But how do we know the file is broken and not the implementation of the reading software?
The Hanlin's MOBI reader does seem to less stable than some other implementations on EInk devices, so it could be Hanlin specific.

Stripping DRM and converting to ePub using Calibre is worth trying because Calibre can fix some issues with MOBI and the Hanlin's ePub reader is mobile Adobe Digital Editions (completely separate from its MOBI Reader).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Hanlin's MOBI reader does seem to less stable than some other implementations on EInk devices, so it could be Hanlin specific.

Stripping DRM and converting to ePub using Calibre is worth trying because Calibre can fix some issues with MOBI and the Hanlin's ePub reader is mobile Adobe Digital Editions (completely separate from its MOBI Reader).
And converting to ePub means the eBook will be forward compatible should the OP ever want to get a different reader.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
problem.
same result.

Any ideas?
Hi, Tinwolf.
What' version of your firmware do you use now? And what kind of file format do you use now? .prs format or .mobi format?
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
problem.
same result.

Any ideas?
Downloading the same book over and over won't change the actual content in the book. It sounds like you have a higher ascii character that isn't correctly escaped. You'll need to notify the store where you bought the book, saying that there is a problem with the book (it would help if you actually say where it is, naturally), and hope they'll fix the source. Once they've done that, you can download and try again.

Or, you could remove the DRM, and either convert to epub (I don't like that format, but that's personal) or convert to HTML, edit the HTML (aka, replace the offending character with its HTML counterpart) and convert back to Mobipocket (which is what I would do...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #12
Tinwolf
Greasy biker

Thanks for the responses guys.

As I said I have viewed the book using mobipocket reader on my PC and it reads fine but does show this strange character, I`ts obviously a problem with the be-book`s handling of the weird character which kicks me out of the book.

I`m using the firmware version before the latest one as the latest one doesn`t support DRM mobi files and I`ve got a few books in that format to get through

I did contact the site I bought it from and they refunded some of the money but didn`t seem too concerned that there was a problem with the original file.
As I`ve bought the book from another store and it was the same file with the same problem it`s not seller specific.

I think I`m going to have to search through the forum for how to de-drm the book and try and fix it that way.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Only Mobipocket can supply software that will read DRMed Mobipocket files, so the BeBook firmware that can read DRMed files is official Mobipocket software.

So it is definitely a problem with the book.

Removing the DRM from a Mobipocket book isn't hard. Editing a Mobipocket book is tricky - you need to convert to HTML, edit the hTML, and then re-compile into Mobipocket again.

Perhaps the simplest way would be to use Calibre to go from Mobipocket to ePub, use Sigil to edit the ePub, and then use Calibre to convert back to Mobipocket.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

As I said I have viewed the book using mobipocket reader on my PC and it reads fine but does show this strange character, I`ts obviously a problem with the be-book`s handling of the weird character which kicks me out of the book.

I`m using the firmware version before the latest one as the latest one doesn`t support DRM mobi files and I`ve got a few books in that format to get through

I did contact the site I bought it from and they refunded some of the money but didn`t seem too concerned that there was a problem with the original file.
As I`ve bought the book from another store and it was the same file with the same problem it`s not seller specific.

I think I`m going to have to search through the forum for how to de-drm the book and try and fix it that way.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
Tinwolf
Greasy biker

I can see a learning curve ahead

Change down and off we go...................
Old 11-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
If it's any consolation I had a similar problem with my ECO Reader some time ago. I was reading an ebook which contained a Greek word in Greek characters, and whenever I came to that word the book closed.

I don't know what this says about the mobi reading software on my reader.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote