Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Hitch, is that why the Send to Kindle app will dispatch a Calibre-generated "mobi" to my Fire tablet, but not a Calibre-generated AZW3?

(Sometimes my library offers a book in digital format only. I use Calibre to convert the epub so I can read it on the tablet instead of tiring my neck at the computer screen.)
nj: Amazon no speakee AZW3 as an input format. Remember? Read the "accepted formats" line, in the FAQ, at the KDP, or in KG's output. AZW3 is not an accepted format. That's all there is, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Maybe.

But calibre is only following Amazon's lead -- Amazon called it a .mobi file, first -- for all that they emit "prc" in the log.

I'll bet you the real reason it says PRC in the log is not because Amazon was trying to be less confusing, but simply because no one ever thought to update the string since the days when they were creating actual .prc files for PalmOS.

Sense be darned.
Possibly. Look, I don't give two darns, but when you're endeavoring to answer questions, it's pretty bloody confusing. Now I'm going to have to preface everything with "EXACTLY what type of MOBI are you making....?" Urgh.

Quote:
calibre's logs will (should) tell you that a dual-MOBI ("PRC" if it makes you happy) was created, which would be just as helpful to the average user as kindlegen's logs.

Generally you know which one you are making, because you have to specifically dive into the guts of calibre's configuration in order to get a dual-MOBI. At that point, I start expecting people to know what they are doing (which may be unrealistic of me ).
As I said: don't use Calibre. Only just tried Calibre's editor. So...I think I'm pretty clear about that caveat when attempting to assist someone.

(And after all this--it wasn't an embedded font. It was monospace. If it was not so exasperating, it would be funny.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sorry!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sorry!
Not your fault, is it?

I'm just being crotchety.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote