Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Interesting, yes I can see a market for eBooks in a bi-lingual edition where you have two pages visible next to each other so you can follow the translation along the original.
I would love to have eBooks like that. I have some paper books that are made that way (scottish gaelic stories)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Or for combo editions (or bundles) that include the ebook and the audiobook to fit in with Amazon's "immersive reading"; right now you need to buy both separately. And, of course, only Kindle/audible are doing it.
I've wanted this for a while, didn't the DTBook profile of ePub allow that?

I'd especially like to see both these things together, bilingual books with read along in either language would be an amazing thing for learning or even just accessing literature in new languages.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
I would love to have eBooks like that. I have some paper books that are made that way (scottish gaelic stories)

I've wanted this for a while, didn't the DTBook profile of ePub allow that?

I'd especially like to see both these things together, bilingual books with read along in either language would be an amazing thing for learning or even just accessing literature in new languages.
Microsoft's LIT format and MSReader allowed for that, too.
It isn't the tech at issue: it is the publishers. They just don't use those features.
With "enhanced" ebooks the issue is that when its been tried it hasn't sold. But audio/ebook bundling just hasn't been tried; the publishers insist on full price for both editions. Even Amazon can only offer up a discount (out of *their* pocket) if you buy the the two editions separately.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
On thing might be that if you buy a ebook you will get all the following editions if you pay a bit extra. Concerning editions I am a bit unhappy about how that is handled in ebooks. It is sometimes hard to know which edition you are reading.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
On thing might be that if you buy a ebook you will get all the following editions if you pay a bit extra. Concerning editions I am a bit unhappy about how that is handled in ebooks. It is sometimes hard to know which edition you are reading.
If corrected editions of an eBook appear, Amazon do notify you and allow you to download the revised version. I don't know how other retailers handle this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If corrected editions of an eBook appear, Amazon do notify you and allow you to download the revised version. I don't know how other retailers handle this.
Do they change the ISBN number of the book then or how do you recognize what version you are reading?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
How about bundling where you buy the paper copy and the e-book as a bundle? Some authors get a permanent home on my bookshelf in paper, such as C.J. Cherryh and Terry Pratchett. But if I could get e-book bundled with the paper book, I might pay extra.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
How about bundling where you buy the paper copy and the e-book as a bundle? Some authors get a permanent home on my bookshelf in paper, such as C.J. Cherryh and Terry Pratchett. But if I could get e-book bundled with the paper book, I might pay extra.
The DOJ settlement with the conspiracy publishers *explicitly* listed this as an example of things that should be allowed.
Not holding my breath, though...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Penguin offer "Enhanced ebook editions" of a number of titles in the "Penguin Classics" range. I have the "Pride and Prejudice" one and it's very well done, with a lot of interesting extra content about the period, social life, even recipes .
But at what point, does it stop being a book and become. . . Something else?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #24
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
That would be a great idea, but I did not even bother suggesting it, since we may get accused of giving the pbook away and keeping the ecopy.
What I'd also like is the possibility to buy an ebook and give a library of my choice credit towards the purchase of the same ebook. Say, as an Amazon customer, I set up my library preferences, and so do other users. Once 10 users have purchased that book, the library gets a free copy. I'd pay a bit extra for this.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
But at what point, does it stop being a book and become. . . Something else?
For that it depends on the extra content. The content Harry was mentioning sounded like primarily being additional text; things that would add to the reader's understanding of the book and the period in which it is set.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
For that it depends on the extra content. The content Harry was mentioning sounded like primarily being additional text; things that would add to the reader's understanding of the book and the period in which it is set.
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Information about everyday life and customs in Austen's time.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Do they change the ISBN number of the book then or how do you recognize what version you are reading?
They generally change the date on the publisher's information page at the start or end of the book. Something like "Original publication date March 2010; revised edition August 2012" (or whatever).