Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
It is not a design from Bookeen. It is the same setup that any MobiReader based system uses. The temp data is saved in the .mbp files in the same directory as the original .prc or .mobi files. If you read on a desktop or ppc and you delete those files you also start from scratch.

I read from 'internal' memory. That could be the explanation that it works OK for me.
I meant internal as something that can not be mounted as a drive by the user.

I do not see why a MobiPocket reader has to save the file in the same dictionary. But I agree that it is practical to do it that way. But it leads to the kind of problem we are seeing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #47
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLausPetersen View Post
I usually set a Bookmark before turning the device off. During long reading sessions I also place Bookmarks at about 1 hour intervals.
Do you exit the book before turning the device off? Maybe that can make a difference in the frequency of the occurrence of position not being saved.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #48
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Do you exit the book before turning the device off? Maybe that can make a difference in the frequency of the occurrence of position not being saved.
I've stopped using bookmarks , and I nearly always turn my Cybook off where I am in the book . And touch wood I've had a trouble-free time now for some weeks - and that's with more than one book on the go ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #49
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLausPetersen View Post
Also I would like the option to turn 20 pages at once when pressing right or left on the cross instead of only one page at a time.
That would help a lot with this Bug.
The problem with 'this bug' is the some people have it all the time and other people, like me, never see it.

So it seems there must be some external factor causing it. I realy tried to provoke it.

I turn the reader of during reading
I let the battery go flat
I let the automatic shutdown kick in
I read one book and close it, read another one and go back to the first one.

Never any problem, the reader always knows the last position

And I also never use 'safely remove hardware' I know that is a risk, But personally I never had any problem with it on any device the last 5-7 years.

I never use the Mobipocket software. I find it more convenient to drag and drop.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #50
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Normally I don't exit a book before turning the device off. But I set a bookmark.

If setting the bookmark failed (no Bookmark marker apearing on the page) it doesn't matter what I do afterwards, because the Bug seems to prevent the cybook from altering the status file for the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
And I also never use 'safely remove hardware' I know that is a risk
I always do the "safe remove". But I don't think that this is related to the Bug in any way.
If a corrupt file was responsible, then the Bug would happen more often.

Quote:
I never use the Mobipocket software. I find it more convenient to drag and drop.
Same with me. I haven't even installed the Mobipocket software on my PC yet.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #51
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
I eventually just started leaving my Cybook on all the time b/c it was losing the page so often. I'm not using an SD card, and I haven't done anything else that's been mentioned to cause problems.

Backing out to the menu before turning my Cybook off does seem to reduce how often it happens, but it still seems to happen. If I leave one book, read another, and go back to the first one, the page is almost always lost. For a long time I actually thought the Cybook was only designed to remember the page of one book at a time.

It doesn't actually bother me a ton b/c I just leave my Cybook on now, but has anyone noticed a change with the new software?
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote