Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #106
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Amazon's top genres for Sense and Sensibility

#3 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Sisters
#7 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Foreign Language Fiction > French
#13 in Books > Literature & Fiction > British > Classics > Austen, Jane

Not sure if any of these would be useful for us to add. Classics is like Fiction -- a catch-all genre that could easily be "abused" to categorize a large number of e-books.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #107
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that's what i was expecting, but when i clicked "edit" and "go advanced" to edit the title, i didn't see a list for categories. is it not implemented yet ? i only have a few uploads, so i can do it by hand.
Zelda, can you try this. Click on Edit -> Go Advanced. Look at the screenshot I attached. Can you see the thread prefix drop down box before the title? If you cannot, then I must check if user permission are set correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prefix.png
Views:	370
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	12550  
Old 05-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #108
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Do you have an example?
Hmm... Something like "A Dance to the Music of Time". I don't think it's really about relations between people, there's not much adventure in it...

Another one could be The Hive.

I guess an "Other" genre could be useful, although it would probably be abused.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #109
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Hi Alex,
wow, you get up really early.

i checked again to be sure it had not changed over night, but i confirm i don't have that dropdown menu when i click edit > go advanced. i can edit the title, but there is not menu for categories.

so i guess it's the user permission.

thanks for looking into it ; i will check back later in the day.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #110
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i confirm i don't have that dropdown menu when i click edit > go advanced. i can edit the title, but there is not menu for categories.

so i guess it's the user permission.

thanks for looking into it ; i will check back later in the day.
Same here!

I can't edit the categories/genre (nor see them), but I can set them when I create the new thread for the ebook upload.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #111
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I confirm, it's definitely a user permission issue. Seems like it's even hard-coded and cannot be changed without some code changes. I'll look into it!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #112
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Upon some more careful consideration we decided to add a "General" prefix to the list that would serve as a catch-all genre. Of course it should only be used if none of the other prefixes work for a specific upload.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #113
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Upon some more careful consideration we decided to add a "General" prefix to the list that would serve as a catch-all genre. Of course it should only be used if none of the other prefixes work for a specific upload.
I would caution people that if they use this prefix they should add a tag with the correct genre in it. If there is enough tags in one genre it might be time to add it as a prefix. Be creative and shoe horn it in if you can. Having meaningless tags doesn't help much. Even some of the prefixes we have should have tags as well like youth should be tagged with a genre that is specific about the books content.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #114
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Young adult is a bad category. The term Young Adult would either be 18 or 21 and most young adult books are written for those a bit younger.
That is not true. From wikipedia for example:
Quote:
* A person in the early years of adulthood.
* Young adult (psychology), persons aged 19 to 40
* Young adult fiction, works targeted to ages 12 to 18
* Youth, aged around 15 to 25.
So for books it is 12-18.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #115
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is not true. From wikipedia for example:

So for books it is 12-18.
The word has already been changed to youth. No reason to continue this about the earlier proposed words.

Dale
Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would caution people that if they use this prefix they should add a tag with the correct genre in it. If there is enough tags in one genre it might be time to add it as a prefix. Be creative and shoe horn it in if you can. Having meaningless tags doesn't help much. Even some of the prefixes we have should have tags as well like youth should be tagged with a genre that is specific about the books content.

Dale
But what is the "correct genre" for something like, say, Dickens' "Great Expectations"? It's not a romance; it's not an action story; it's not SF; it's not a historical novel - it really is just "general fiction".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #117
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But what is the "correct genre" for something like, say, Dickens' "Great Expectations"? It's not a romance; it's not an action story; it's not SF; it's not a historical novel - it really is just "general fiction".
I would call it biographical fiction. This is to aid people in what to expect as all genre is designed to do.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #118
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Remember, the genre specification is there to guide, and not to make a final claim about the content.

We can always revise the genres if needed.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yesterday I tried to post an eBook and found that the genre prefixes do need work (IMHO). So I think we should sort them out so they make more sence overall and have more genres for books we have but don't have proper genres for.

I went to Fictionwise and took their list of genres and came up with the following based on their overall list.

Fiction
  • Children
  • Fantasy
  • Historical Fiction
  • Horror
  • Humor
  • Mystery/Crime
  • Romance
  • Science Fiction
  • Suspense/Thriller
  • Young Adult
Nonfiction
  • Business
  • Children
  • Food/Recipes
  • History
  • Biography/Autobiography
  • Personal Finance
  • Politics/Government
  • Reference
  • Self Improvement
  • Spiritual/Religion
  • Sports/Entertainm't
  • Technology/Science
  • Travel
Misc
  • Other Fiction
  • Other Non-Fiction
  • Poetry

We do have eBooks that fit most of these categories. What we have now does not define in enough categories and some are just plain not right such as SF&F should be separated into Science Fiction and Fantasy as two separate categories.

Here is the list as we have it now...
  • Action
  • Graphic
  • Mystery
  • Poetry
  • Romance
  • SF&F
  • Short Fiction
  • Youth
  • Biography
  • History
  • Philosophy
  • Reference
  • Spiritual
  • Other

Now to work the current list into the newly proposed list....
  • Action - goes away
  • Graphic - I don't think we'll ever have a need for this one
  • Mystery - becomes Mystery/Crime
  • Poetry - stays
  • Romance - stays
  • SF&F - becomes separated out as Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Short Fiction - goes away
  • Youth - becomes Young Adult and we add Children
  • Biography - becomes Biography/Autobiography
  • History - stays
  • Philosophy - stays
  • Reference - stays
  • Spiritual - becomes Spiritual/Religion
  • Other - becomes Other Fiction & Other non-Fiction

Now I know we will have to go back and sort out the existing prefixes. So the sooner this is sorted, the less work there will be to fix what needs fixing.

Yes, I know I am restarting this thread, but we need to get this sorted one and for all so that all that needs possibly be done is add genres and not change what's already there. So pleaswe chime in and let's get this sorted.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #120
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The word has already been changed to youth. No reason to continue this about the earlier proposed words.
What are you saying here. Is it not allowed to correct incorrect information in a thread if the incorrect information is no longer central to the thread?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book genres, category, prefix, tag