Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #31
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Email from Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 15.39.15.png
Views:	356
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	187223  
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #32
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I have no intention of getting into a flame war on this issue, but honestly, why do you care? Live and let live; just because someone else has a different use case than yours doesn't make theirs wrong and yours right, and vice versa. Diversity is the spice of life, IMHO.
I was just curious. And the whole point of my post (if you read the whole thing not just the quoted bit) was that people may be interested in the Elipsa over competing devices from Likebook and Boox is because it can handle ePubs out of the box better and is probably less confusing for those not as technically inclined.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #33
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So, will amazon (still no 8" e-ink) respond, or continue to spend time on things like changing "GO TO" to "Go To"?
Mind you, you can now use a book cover as a screensaver on a Kindle
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #34
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so apologies if I missed it. Looks like the Elipsa is Kobo's entry into the USB-C world for data transfer and charging.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #35
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I find the the refresh settings essential to make the most of the Onyx's functions. Using non-refresh makes note-taking and text-based web page browsing almost comparable to LCD. I wonder if Kobo will implement a no-refresh mode. This is an asset for note-taking and zooming/panning pdf files.

Edit: I note that on the video document reading and annotation only occur in portrait. To read a normal size pdf, you will have to put it in landscape. In portrait, you will probably have to zoom/pan. I am interested to see how smooth this is.
Note taking is fine on Boox devices with the default refresh settings in KNote automatically. I'm sure Kobo has something comparable. Refresh settings are needed for random apps and web browsing but I don't think Kobo is aiming this at web browsing beyond what the other models do and it sure won't have apps.

Why would you need to put a A4 or letter sized PDF in landscape on a 10.3" screen? I think most people would find that comfortable to read in portrait with no zooming. Most LCD tablets are the same size for the same reason.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #36
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so apologies if I missed it. Looks like the Elipsa is Kobo's entry into the USB-C world for data transfer and charging.
Oh no! You say you don't want to start a flame war, then mention USB-C!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So? Amazon has been doing Readers longer then Kobo and Kobo is doing it better.

Maybe the Elipsa is better then these others.

[Ordering]: I'll have a burger with cheese, hold the fries, small coke, and 2 SD images.

[Taking order]: Cheese burger, cheese burger, cheese burger, SD image!

[Ordering]: That's 2 SD images!

[Taking order]: SD image, SD image, SD image!

[Ordering]: Forget it!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
  • - I own app 25.000 paper books - if I want to read one of them, I look it up on pirate sites and if I find it, I download it.
Fascinating. For someone who posted:

Quote:
In other states (EU) DRM remove is forbidden by law.
And since this forum can also be read there, such information is not particularly helpful - and that would be reason enough to reconsider this attitude.
So you don't want MobileRead to mention DRM removal because DRM removal is illegal in the EU but stating that you download books from pirate sites is okay?

Hypocrisy, thy name is otischwenk.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Before you attack, you should inform yourself about laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So you don't want MobileRead to mention DRM removal because DRM removal is illegal in the EU but stating that you download books from pirate sites is okay?
Yes - I donot remove DRM
Quote:
Hypocrisy, thy name is otischwenk.
Oh no, download isnt forbidden in Austria - only upload.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #40
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Before you attack, you should inform yourself about laws.Yes - I donot remove DRM
No, you just use the copies others have removed DRM from. So you do it by proxy, as you knowingly use de-DRMed copies. And the author doesn't get paid for your pirated copy. So, since you said people who use their Kindle copy on a Kobo or vice versa are thieves, by your own terms you're a thief too. Because you don't buy a second license. Having a paper copy doesn't give you the right to have a free digital copy.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Two points:
  • MR does not condone advocacy of piracy. Another such reference will result in sanctions.
  • Time to get back on topic, discussion of the new Kobo. Further comments about piracy and hypocrisy will be deleted.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Two posts have been deleted. Knock it off.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #43
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Two posts have been deleted. Knock it off.
What kind of forum is this where I'm not allowed to respond to an accusation that I'm a thief and a not very insightful administrator deletes something like that?
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What kind of forum is this where I'm not allowed to respond to an accusation that I'm a thief and a not very insightful administrator deletes something like that?
Moderator Notice
The same kind of forum where it's against the rules to discuss/question moderator decisions in open forum. The same kind of forum where it's against the rules to continue a discussion that a mod said to stop.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #45
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Thrilled to see Kobo continuing to innovate and put out new devices. Keep hoping for an updated Forma with better hardware, that'll be my next Kobo purchase and will replace my PW4.

This tablet? No thanks, I get that it's Linux so lower hw requirements, but 1 GB RAM for a $400 device is too weak for my taste. Also, they provide no information on the compatibility of the data you capture in their note-taking apps. I see that it's a port of the MyScript/Nebo app family, which you can also get in Android and iOS stores. But for this to be truly useful, the app needs to be able to cleanly export data to other editable formats without any loss of data or formatting. Hopefully there are generous export options built into the app. Otherwise you're painting yourself into the corner of a walled garden, with your data.

For this application, I still prefer Ipad Mini/Ipad Pro 11. More spendy, for sure, but far great flexibility and hardware specs speak for themselves.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote