Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #211
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Also I suspect the onyx 7.8 might be capacitive so won't be as clear.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #212
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I belive onyx is introducing a new capacitive type screen with less layers, so hopefully capacitive screens will catch up infrared clarity.
You mean like the new screens from eInk with the integrated touch layer? That’s olds not news.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #213
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
\That’s olds not news.
Haha, I bugged at your sentence a bit, didn't know olds was a thing. Like it

I've been using my Voyage last week while my Libra has been sent back for replacement, and I have to admit that I like the smaller form factor.
I'm curious to see if the new Paperwhite will allow the same flexibility for me and I would love for it to get really close to the Voyage contrast level and clarity.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #214
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Haha, I bugged at your sentence a bit, didn't know olds was a thing. Like it
I lifted it from Terry Pratchett. For instance, in The Truth it is used several times.

Quote:
As they stepped out into the silent street he wondered if Lord Vetinari had been right about the press. There was something…compelling about it. It was like a dog that stared at you until you fed it. A slightly dangerous dog. Dog bites man, he thought. But that’s not news. That’s olds.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:39 PM   #215
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Id been dismissive of Amazon not using the new Carta 1200 screen in the PW5 because I anticipated the difference wouldnt be easily perceivable, but after seeing pictures of the screen of the Libra 2 compared to the original Libra, Im annoyed the new Paperwhite doesnt have it.
Do you have a link? (Libra vs Libra 2). Thanks
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #216
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The pictures are of the Tolino Vision 6 ( sharing most specs with Libra 2) beside the Tolino Vision 5 (Libra H2O)
I’ll post a side by side of the 2 Libra this week when I receive them
Old 10-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #217
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
does anyone know what type of internal storage is in the new Paperwhite?

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #218
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Never mind.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #219
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Any idea if the front light can be disabled completely?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #220
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I’ll receive the Paperwhite signature, Libra 2 and Sage.
I’ll be posting comparative pictures.
My experience has been that e-ink screens lose some contrast as they age. It's not enough to notice unless you compare it to a new screen. It's best to compare a new screen to another new screen.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #221
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
My experience has been that e-ink screens lose some contrast as they age. It's not enough to notice unless you compare it to a new screen. It's best to compare a new screen to another new screen.
They will all be new.
Also that hasn't been my experience so far, my 6 years old Voyage hasn't found any competitor in term of contrast / dark blacks.
Maybe with older eink technologies?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #222
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They will all be new.
Also that hasn't been my experience so far, my 6 years old Voyage hasn't found any competitor in term of contrast / dark blacks.
Same here. My 4-year-old Voyage had a more contrasty screen than my freshly released Oasis 3 (in 2019, when I compared them).

Perhaps if they are used in direct sunlight often? I never read with direct sunlight falling on my reader.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #223
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
It's wild how often some of y'all reference and discuss the contrast of the Voyage. It's gotta be a kind of mobileread folklore talking point. The mobileread Voyage cult. I would bet money the difference isn't as big as it's portrayed to be.

I'm super excited for reviews of the new Paperwhite this coming week. My upgrade plan is riding on it being as good as I hope. Much as I want an 8 inch device, I can't rationalize paying double for it and I'm skeptical we'll see the Forma heavily discounted.

I keep hoping I might find a Glowlight Plus in the future, though.

Last edited by mezzanine; 10-24-2021 at 10:42 AM.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #224
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
It's wild how often some of y'all reference and discuss the contrast of the Voyage. It's gotta be a kind of mobileread folklore talking point. The mobileread Voyage cult. I would bet money the difference isn't as big as it's portrayed to be.
You would lose money. I'm not assessing things from remembering the device. I still own it ( and it's probably the same for most people praising it)
The Libra 2's screen is getting really close to it, but still a slightly tiny bit under in term of contrast / deep blacks.

It all comes to the details and the differences, no matter how small they are, especially here.

And don't get me wrong, I look forward for the day a new reader from Amazon or Kobo gets better. That would mean having the best screen in an up to date reader.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #225
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It isn't big in some cases, but it's still noticeable. And yes, I compared my Voyage side-by-side with my other readers, when I still had it. The contrast of the Voyage was superb. Note that it was not perfect; mine had an uneven frontlight.

That's not why I sold my Voyage, though. I sold it because I preferred the larger screen and lopsided shape of the Oasis and the Libra. The good screen isn't everything. But yes, I've never seen an eink screen with so sharp and dark a text as the Voyage had. This is not an exaggeration.