Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #16
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No. There are rarely video related issues with Qt on Mac as Qt use the native widgets simply wrappered by Qt. I have never seen any issues related to Qt and Video drivers unless a user has installed their own video driver as opposed to an official apple driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
@Kevin: does Qt on MacOS blacklist video cards/drivers like it does on other platforms? I understand Mojave has dropped support for NVIDIA (but I assume a Mojave upgrade would warn about this if relevant). Any chance the video card in the macbook in question just isn't supported by Qt5.12.3? The OP does mention rolling back to Sigil 0.9.9 (which would be Qt5.6) to get things working again.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
Vroni
Beast
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Clesaring the cache does not change anything. I'm always checking with Sigil/Sigil about that i have the correct version started.

And i dont understand why you said "0.9.9" does not start sigil by clicking on an epub file double. It always worked like that. If Sugil ist not yet started it is opening an empty epub and the double clicked epub file. If sigil is already running the double clicked file is loaded.
You're confusing me now, it's always been that way.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #18
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, in the latest releases you can set epub to launch with Sigil or drag and drop an epub on the Sigil icon and it will happily open just that epub with no empty MainWindow hanging around.

Did you do the entire sequence like I asked:

- erase Sigil from app cache
- remove or rename Sigil ini file
- restart your machine without the reopen windows box checked

After restart up Sigil and rearrange windows the way you like and save and exit to write the settings to the ini file.

If that does not fix the issue, then try changing your screen resolution to see if that impacts the issue.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #19
Vroni
Beast
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

I did evrything except changing the screen resolution.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
KevinH
Wizard

Please try changing the screen resolution just to see if it impacts the problem. To be off by one line screams a wrong screen dpi being detected by Qt or alternatively improper x and y positioning (ie a y offset issue) of the widget.

Are you sure you have no 3rdparty apps that impact window frames and decorations?

Are you by any chance using a qt custom qss stylesheet?

Could you be using a broken font which does not match its reported font metrics?

Last edited by KevinH; 08-04-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Advert
Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #21
Vroni
Beast

I changed screen resolution to 1289*800, issues still present.

Indeed, i had a qt_style to bring back the close icons in the tabs, but deleting it didnt resolved the issues.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #22
KevinH
Wizard

Wow, you have me stumped. I have never seen anything like that and no one has ever reported an issue of this type for mac.

So it must be something specific to your system/setup and Qt 5.12.3 but I can not see anything that would cause the symptoms you have reported.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I have never seen anything like that ...
I have, not in Sigil, in Finder; a double click on file 'b' would get file 'a'.

But that was at least a decade ago. The owner took her MacBook to a dealer and they reinstalled OSX. She lost most of her 'settings', but her data was okay.

Can't recall if there was a double title bar too.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #24
KevinH
Wizard

The Double Title Bar is what is really confusing me. Its presence alone is enough to cause the off by one line issue.

It is almost as if there are two main windows nested together. The fact that a fresh start with an empty ini file makes the problem go away for a short time again is quite puzzling.

It is as if something outside of Sigil is confusing the layout and corrupting the ini file.

Or it may be someone changed the mac OS setting that normally limits things to a single gui app running at the same time (ie one instance of Sigil) but allowing multiple main windows for each app.

This is the paradigm used on Mac whereas the other platforms allow multiple instances of Sigil to be running simultaneously.

This looks a bit like two versions of the app melded into one resulting in nested windows.

Either way, something specific to that system is the problem. I am just not sure, what that might be.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-05-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #25
KevinH
Wizard

I searched the entire Qt bug database for anything about dual title bars on a single widget but nothing was found.

So whatever is causing this, no one else has reported anything similar.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #26
KevinH
Wizard

The only thing a broad google search came up with was this post:
Quote:
Re: Two (Stacked) Title Bars in OSX
Post by Klaus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi Andy,

this is a macOS setting:
(translated from a german system, so it might read a bit different on your machine)
System Settings -> Dock -> Prefer tabs when opening documents
I set it to -> Manually
after i also experienced this scary thing effect.
Do you have this system setting set by chance? Are you somehow tabbing multiple windows of the same app?

If so, I really do not think that is a good idea for Qt based apps.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #27
KevinH
Wizard

And here is another post about two title tabs due to a system key sequence found by google search.

Quote:
At a guess, you have enabled tabs in an app that doesn't support them - the result appears as a double title bar.

Sierra comes with a feature that allows compatible applications to create multiple tabs in one window, much like a web browser. On an incompatible application, accessing this - using Cmd ⌘ Shift ⇧ T will generate a second title bar below the regular one, with no apparent way to get rid of it.

Try hitting Cmd ⌘ Shift ⇧ T again, then relaunching the app.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #28
KevinH
Wizard

Okay, I forced it to use tabs instead of normal windows using the System Preferences -> Dock settings and sure enough, macOS tries to inject a tab bar right below the title bar and that messes Sigil up badly as it forces all selections in BookBrowser to be off by one line. This also messes up the ini file when saved in that sad state.

I strongly recommend always setting that Dock Preference to "Manually" and then removing the keyboard shortcut Apple(Cmd) Shift T from the shortcuts used by the macOS system.

Apple should not try and tabify an already tabbed multi-frame QDockWidget ever!

I wonder if there is a way to disable this stupidity using something in the Info.plist of the Sigil app.

Only Apple would allow itself to inject code into a thrid party app.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Anything relevant here?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #30
KevinH
Wizard

Yes! Dead On!

After our upcoming release, I will try to incorporate those code snippets into Sigil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Anything relevant here?
KevinH