Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #61
Mister L
Enthusiast
Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
In order to cause the tab movement crash, you really need to almost flick the tab or drag the tab back and forth quickly and repeatedly. An occasional normal speed drag and drop of the tab should be reasonably safe if it is enabled.
Really. Well, brilliant, in that case I'd like to give it a try. I can always undo it if it crashes too much. Where can I find instructions for how to add this variable?
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #62
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Depends on platform. On Linux and MacOS simply add it to your .bashrc or .profile so that it gets set every time you login.

On Windows I would do a google/bing search on how to set environment variables for your particular Windows version. Perhaps a Windows user can add additional help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
Really. Well, brilliant, in that case I'd like to give it a try. I can always undo it if it crashes too much. Where can I find instructions for how to add this variable?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #63
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
If you have a Windows 10 machine, click the Start menu, search for Edit environment variables for your account, click the result, click New, enter SIGIL_ALLOW_TAB_MOVEMENT as the name and 1 as the value and click OK.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #64
Mister L
Enthusiast
Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Depends on platform. On Linux and MacOS simply add it to your .bashrc or .profile so that it gets set every time you login.

On Windows I would do a google/bing search on how to set environment variables for your particular Windows version. Perhaps a Windows user can add additional help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you have a Windows 10 machine, click the Start menu, search for Edit environment variables for your account, click the result, click New, enter SIGIL_ALLOW_TAB_MOVEMENT as the name and 1 as the value and click OK.
Thank you very much. I'm using windows 8.1 but Doitsu's instructions worked there too, and I have moveable tabs again.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #65
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks very much for the information and explanation. I like this feature, but if it might cause crashes, I think I'll just learn to live without it. Thanks again for all the hard work.
I go out of my way to find tabbed applications (or enhancers like Office Tabs), and they all allow tabs to be moved. When the functionality to move CV tabs disappeared in Sigil I couldn't imagine it would have been disabled deliberately, so I decided it was never there

Then when DD told me I could restore the functionality via an envar I set it in a heartbeat, not had any problems since - nor did I have any problems before.

Added: I don't have enough memory to hold rarely used obscure Windows command and argument names, and the fixed postage stamp sized dialogue box in msconfig is a PITA, so I use a freebie called Rapid Environment Editor.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-13-2019 at 09:13 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #66
Mister L
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I go out of my way to find tabbed applications (or enhancers like Office Tabs), and they all allow tabs to be moved. When the functionality to move CV tabs disappeared in Sigil I couldn't imagine it would have been disabled deliberately, so I decided it was never there

Then when DD told me I could restore the functionality via an envar I set it in a heartbeat, not had any problems since - nor did I have any problems before.
Very good to know. I've also set it again and so far no problems.

Quote:
Added: I don't have enough memory to hold rarely used obscure Windows command and argument names, and the fixed postage stamp sized dialogue box in msconfig is a PITA, so I use a freebie called Rapid Environment Editor.

BR
Very useful information, thank you!
Old 06-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #67
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't have enough memory to hold rarely used obscure Windows command and argument names,
Sure you do! But if you LIKE doing things a complicated way to save a handful of bytes... :-)

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 06-16-2019 at 07:55 AM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #68
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was thinking I already had.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320663

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...to-qtwebengine

If not ... consider yourself officially warned.
As in "very, very soon"? I actually had something more definite in mind. But never mind; I will download n.n.14, use it as long as it lasts, then find something else to do the job.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #69
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Sure you do! But if you LIKE doing things a complicated way to save a handful of bytes... :-)
Can't afford the brain surgeon's fees to upgrade my synapse pool. Maybe my electro-cardiologist can add some bytes to my pacemaker and wire it up to my brain - I'm seeing him tomorrow to get a tune-up

BR
Old 06-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #70
BartZorn
BartZorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Unpleasant surprise.

I just installed the 64 bit version. Unpleasant surprise was that the installation does a reboot without any warning!

In case you are asking: I do other things on my laptop, besides editing epubs.

Bart
BartZorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #71
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Not on macOS and not on Linux. Has anyone else seen this on Windows?

Could it be an unrelated reboot by Windows update that just happened to coincide with your Sigil installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartZorn View Post
I just installed the 64 bit version. Unpleasant surprise was that the installation does a reboot without any warning!

Bart
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It (Microsoft) may tell you that a reboot is necessary after the installation of the VS2017 runtime that's included with Sigil, but it rarely actually IS necessary for Sigil operation, and it certainly gives you the opportunity to NOT reboot at that time if you so choose.

There is absolutely nothing in Sigil's installer script that forces a reboot (with a warning or without) and I've never had a Microsoft VC++ runtime installer ever force a reboot, either. Only Windows updates will do that, that I'm aware of. You can only delay updates for so long before Windows makes the decision for you (under certain conditions).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-17-2019 at 02:09 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #73
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:

Bart
Not here W10 x64
WHEN sigil does install a package that needs a reboot. THE PACKAGE installer (not Sigil), ASKS you to reboot.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:

Bart
I didn't get a reboot (or even a prompt recommending a reboot) when installing 9.1.14. Windows 10 in 4 versions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #75
BetterRed
null operator

FWIW: this is from a couple weeks ago - Curious - Calibre Install asks for a restart

I've installed a later version of calibre since then, did not get a restart needed popop, so it was a 'one off'. Very occasionally I have had installs of other programs do the same thing - I call them blue moon events.

Aside: I'm still using Sigil 0.9.13. Given 0.9.15 will be released soon, is there any reason I should not skip 0.9.14, there's nothing in it I need.

BR