Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #3871
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Echo would need either GPS, or the ability to get its location from a cell-tower in order to automatically adjust its timezone. I doubt either of those features are going to be incorporated into a device that's not really billed as being "mobile."

Just remember to change the timezone in the Alexa app if you're travelling with your Echo.
So what'll happen when Echo Auto hits the streets?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #3872
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Echo would need either GPS, or the ability to get its location from a cell-tower in order to automatically adjust its timezone. I doubt either of those features are going to be incorporated into a device that's not really billed as being "mobile."

Just remember to change the timezone in the Alexa app if you're travelling with your Echo.
Wouldn't the wifi connection be enough? Don't wifi routers know their general location?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #3873
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW4, Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (SP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Wouldn't the wifi connection be enough? Don't wifi routers know their general location?
In my experience, they're notoriously unreliable for that. I don't know why, but of the last 5 routers / gateways I've dealt with, only one of them would consistently provide the correct info to the connecting device when trying to use "automatically get timezone from wifi" option.

I've even had boxes that had a manual setting for it that still communicated the wrong timezone to devices. And it's not always the same incorrect timezone! I've been made fun of for anthropomorphizing electronics before, but sometimes I really do feel like they're just screwing with me.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #3874
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
So what'll happen when Echo Auto hits the streets?
Seeing as how that's intended to be a mobile device that connects to the Alexa app on a smartphone, I suspect accommodations will be made to get location-based info from the phone. In all honesty, it seems to me that the Echo Auto device is little more than an interface for the Alexa phone app. It is the phone (and the phone's data) that will be doing the "dropping in" and navigating and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
In my experience, they're notoriously unreliable for that. I don't know why, but of the last 5 routers / gateways I've dealt with, only one of them would consistently provide the correct info to the connecting device when trying to use "automatically get timezone from wifi" option.
That's been my experience as well. It works about as well as the location services on a wifi-only Fire Tablet does.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #3875
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Thanks, I did not know that.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #3876
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's a brave new world we live in. Parrots talking to computers and cats joy riding on roombas. Is this a harbinger of things to come?

Tell me you have a roomba for your cats
A Roomba-like device is on my list for the next gadget. I think it would be helpful for my Mom as well as provide more entertainment for my herd. I can picture Bartie riding along down the hall and into the entry way, turn, then go along back down the long hall. He would never tire of it. Currently, he jumps onto the seat of my brother's walker when bro is getting up so that he can ride along to the bathroom or when he makes the rounds for exercise. It's pretty funny.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #3877
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
A Roomba-like device is on my list for the next gadget. I think it would be helpful for my Mom as well as provide more entertainment for my herd. I can picture Bartie riding along down the hall and into the entry way, turn, then go along back down the long hall. He would never tire of it. Currently, he jumps onto the seat of my brother's walker when bro is getting up so that he can ride along to the bathroom or when he makes the rounds for exercise. It's pretty funny.
Well, Black Friday is just 3 months off. There are bound to be some good deals then.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #3878
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Quote:
I had a Roomba for years. No cat ever tried to ride it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #3879
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Quote:
Currently, he jumps onto the seat of my brother's walker when bro is getting up so that he can ride along to the bathroom or when he makes the rounds for exercise. It's pretty funny.
A couple of our furbabies enjoy riding is Susie's lap as she wheels herself around in her wheelchair. Sometimes more than one at a time.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #3880
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Cats are definitely fun and playful and find ways to entertain themselves. One of mine runs into the bathroom when I flush the toilette so she can watch the water swirl around and disappear. Put a red laser on a Roomba and I bet they will really go wild.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #3881
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
True but even a guess based on the registered location info for the public IP might be better than nothing. Also there is (or were) geolocation services that were based on a survey database of wifi access points. I'm not taking the time to Google it right now, but I think one of the providers was called Skyhook. I always assumed that the "enhance GPS precision with wifi" option on smartphones was based on that sort of data in Google's portfolio.

On a totally unrelated topic: has anyone here tried the Hubitat Elevation home automation hub?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #3882
cc_in_oh
Addict
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can always just ask the time in Salt Lake City...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #3883
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting thing I accidentally discovered. I can start and stop my Nano while playing audiobooks. The Nano is connected via Bluetooth to use the speaker. They are loaded via Itunes, but are not Audible titles. Can't go back at all without the nano, but this was handy today as I was moving about a lot while listening to an audiobook and the phone kept ringing (mostly scam robo calls).
Old 08-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #3884
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, Black Friday is just 3 months off. There are bound to be some good deals then.
Sadly, my central a/c broke yesterday and the repair guy said it is unfixable, so I think my options for fun gadgets will be on hold until sometime next year. Fortunately, we are nearly past the hot season (maybe another week or two). I have a fan.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #3885
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, PB Touch Lux 623, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Sadly, my central a/c broke yesterday and the repair guy said it is unfixable, so I think my options for fun gadgets will be on hold until sometime next year. Fortunately, we are nearly past the hot season (maybe another week or two). I have a fan.
Ouch! Painful.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote