Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Collections weirdness

So I know that non-Amazon titles aren't supposed to be synced to the cloud collections. No problem.

But here is the weirdness -- I have some non-Amazon books that were in collections, then I took them out (I take books out of collections when I'm reading them), but every time I turn on wifi and sync with Amazon -- they end up back in the old collection. Despite the nag that changes to this collection will not be synced.

Something is syncing somehow. I've tried forcing a "sync and look for new" when I first connect, the books don't move, but a few minutes later -- boom, back in old collections.

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

There really, really has to be a better way of managing collections overall that doesn't require a jailbreak.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Are you using calibre? That may have something to do with it. I think there's an option that allows side-loaded books to sync between devices and you might need to turn that off for collections to work better. But I don't know the details, I always use send to kindle instead of side loading.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I hate to suggest that you change your way of working .... but can you create a CURRENT collection (or some such) and will your current book "stay" in that collection? Or can't you move these older books at all, any more?
Separate question: If these books had been mailed to amazon to put on your kindle -- is that how come they are now in a collection? Or perhaps that's why these older books ARE in a collection? Not that that helps, but it might be interesting to understand WHY this is happening.....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Are you using calibre? That may have something to do with it. I think there's an option that allows side-loaded books to sync between devices and you might need to turn that off for collections to work better. But I don't know the details, I always use send to kindle instead of side loading.
I am using Calibre, and generally use "send to device." I didn't with a few books that went wonky when I changed to the Voyage (I just dragged and dropped those from Explorer) but none of those books are at issue here.

Do you know where in prefs this sync option is located?
Old 11-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I hate to suggest that you change your way of working .... but can you create a CURRENT collection (or some such) and will your current book "stay" in that collection? Or can't you move these older books at all, any more?
I can move them -- they move every time, and just go back to their collections at some point while wifi is turned on. I guess I could use a "current" collection but I'd really rather not.

Quote:
Separate question: If these books had been mailed to amazon to put on your kindle -- is that how come they are now in a collection? Or perhaps that's why these older books ARE in a collection? Not that that helps, but it might be interesting to understand WHY this is happening.....
These aren't books that have ever been mailed to Amazon. They are books I bought somewhere else that never had DRM in the first place, or did and have been Alf'd, or non-DRM free books downloaded from Baen, Mobileread, author's giveaways, etc.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there another kindle on your account, that may have these books listed in that original collection? I've just side-loaded some Baen books, and they seem to be staying in the collections that I assigned them to 36 hours ago.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Is there another kindle on your account, that may have these books listed in that original collection? I've just side-loaded some Baen books, and they seem to be staying in the collections that I assigned them to 36 hours ago.

That was going to be my question. Either they are being updated from another device or your changes are not updated on their server yet.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
That was going to be my question. Either they are being updated from another device or your changes are not updated on their server yet.
My old PW2 is on the account, but I haven't connected it to the server since before I got the Voyage....
Old 11-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Well, it *oughtn't* to matter, but you could try moving those books into the desired collection from the PW2 instead. That doesn't solve the "why" but it might cure the problem. Maybe.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
My old PW2 is on the account, but I haven't connected it to the server since before I got the Voyage....

I am not sure how the syncing works but try de-registering your pw2 and see if the problem still occurs.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
whitearrow
Guru

Ok. Will give it a shot.