Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
PocketBook IQ Firmware Repack

Greetings fellow ebook addicts!

I've modified the original PocketBook IQ 2.0.3 firmware to make life for us users a bit simpler.

This firmware adds:
  • Working superuser (root) out of the box
  • a2sd pre-installed, ready for setup
  • Launcher Pro as the default Launcher
  • A YouTube app that does not FC eventually
  • After you add an androidID, the Market will work as well

This firmware fixes:
  • The normal Google Account creation process is working now
  • Exchanged the much hated white boot logo
  • Rotated the boot animation to portrait mode
This firmware is missing most of the PocketBook apps. They can be re-installed via the included .apk files.

Firmware installation instructions:
  • Extract the archive and place the flashable file on the root of your (external) SD card.
  • Shut down the device, then press and hold Vol+ while pressing the Power button. After you see the boot logo, you may release the buttons.
  • Wait until your unit is fully rebooted, then do a factory reset (this is optional)

Post Installation Instructions
  • Add your WIFi password
  • Open Gmail and add your account
  • Wait for Gmail to sync (gtalk will FC on you until it is properly synced)
  • Add your androidID and reboot.

Download Stable
Download Experimental

Last edited by mtravellerh; 01-23-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Coredump-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
First off, thank you for all the hard work on this!

I'm doing something wrong. I have downloaded the file, and extracted (using 7z) it. I have copied the extracted file onto the root of a known good SD card.Then I put the card into the slot on the (turned off) device. I hold down the plus and power buttons until I see the little android guy. It reboots a couple of seconds later, with nothing changed--still the Bookland screen, still have the android logo in landscape mode. I even tried extracting the file again since it was still in .tar format. That didn't work either. What am I failing to comprehend?
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur
Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Coredump-EE once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
First off, thank you for all the hard work on this!

I'm doing something wrong. I have downloaded the file, and extracted (using 7z) it. I have copied the extracted file onto the root of a known good SD card.Then I put the card into the slot on the (turned off) device. I hold down the plus and power buttons until I see the little android guy. It reboots a couple of seconds later, with nothing changed--still the Bookland screen, still have the android logo in landscape mode. I even tried extracting the file again since it was still in .tar format. That didn't work either. What am I failing to comprehend?
The tar.gz file extracts into two files and one directory with the flashable image. WinRAR and WinZip handle tar.gz just fine IIRC.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only have 7z. What I get with 7z is a folder called flashable image, 2 readmes and a zipped folder of removed apps inside of a folder named 2011115. Inside of flashable image is a zipped folder called repack-201111564634_PB701SWUPDATE. Does this need to be unzipped, too?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Quote:
I only have 7z. What I get with 7z is a folder called flashable image, 2 readmes and a zipped folder of removed apps inside of a folder named 2011115. Inside of flashable image is a zipped folder called repack-201111564634_PB701SWUPDATE. Does this need to be unzipped, too?
I'm pretty sure not. The "201111564634_PB701SWUPDATE" file is the one you place on the SD card.

By the way, I assume this deletes everything on the device?
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
paww
Connoisseur
paww began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
This sounds awesome, once I've backed up some items off mine.

I will defiantly do this.

Whilst I'll hold judgement on it, I would still like to thank you in advance for the efforts to do this!

Edit; I see in the instructions you suggest a factory reset, what are the benefits of doing so?

Last edited by paww; 01-15-2011 at 08:52 PM.
paww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
ddj
ddj began at the beginning.

Great update, and fast too!!

Only one, probably simple problem, I cannot sideload apps anymore and cannot find the 'unckeck unknown sources' anywhere.
Also the ap2sd, I assume it will kick in when installing apps?

Rgrds,
ddj
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
MmavisO
Seeker

Moving only the 201111564634_PB701SWUPDATE seems to have done the trick. Imust have misunderstood the instructions. And myle00, it did not delete anything except the icons I had on my old homepage or whatever it's called.I didn't even lose my places in my books! Everything is there if I click on the doohickey in the middle on the bottom with all the little squares. Can you tell I know nothing about Android? But I did not do the factory reset as I know that would remove everything.

Moving on to the next question:

I have gmail synced (I saw my emails, in any case). When I try to get into Marketplace, I get a server error. I can get online just fine, so there's nothing wrong there. I've never logged in to the marketplace, so maybe the problem is that I don't have an Android ID? What is it and how do I get one? I'm never asked for any kind of login info, so I'm confused. Oh--and I have rebooted since I set up gmail.

Even though I can't access the Marketplace, I can't sideload apps I didn't get there. And I can't find app2sd either.

Last edited by MmavisO; 01-15-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Quote:
Moving only the 201111564634_PB701SWUPDATE seems to have done the trick. Imust have misunderstood the instructions. And myle00, it did not delete anything except the icons I had on my old homepage or whatever it's called.I didn't even lose my places in my books! Everything is there if I click on the doohickey in the middle on the bottom with all the little squares. Can you tell I know nothing about Android? But I did not do the factory reset as I know that would remove everything.

Moving on to the next question:

I have gmail synced (I saw my emails, in any case). When I try to get into Marketplace, I get a server error. I can get online just fine, so there's nothing wrong there. I've never logged in to the marketplace, so maybe the problem is that I don't have an Android ID? What is it and how do I get one? I'm never asked for any kind of login info, so I'm confused. Oh--and I have rebooted since I set up gmail.

Even though I can't access the Marketplace, I can't sideload apps I didn't get there. And I can't find app2sd either.
I'm new to Android too, and I plan to install this a bit later.

Her's some guide to get a market ID. I haven't done it though and it might be specific to that device. http://www.androidtime.com/blog/get-...rket-to-zt180/ I think though you can get the latest SDK links from the other thread about rooting the IQ on the board since the links in that article is outdated, I think.
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Perhaps I'm somewhat obtuse, but how do you install new firmware if you don't have an external SD card. This doesn't just apply to your update, as far as I can see the Pocketbook manual also assume you'll load the firmware to an external card. Is it impossible to update by loading it to the device directly? Does this mean I have to buy the card?
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
MmavisO
Seeker

I've read the other thread about getting Market working. But I didn't understand enough of it to help. What I need is step by step, Android-For-Dummies level instructions. Google Chat does not work, I can't sideload anything that didn't come from Market to begin with, and I can't get into Market because of a server error. I don't have an Android ID and don't know how to get one without being able to sideload. I know where the emulator is, but not what to enter in it if anything, and I have no idea how to use SDKs, either. I know; I'm pretty pathetic. Like I said, the other thread lost me right away.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Sideloading apps is indeed broken, I'm looking into it.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Updated firmware: 20110116

Fixes sideloading, adds sam2.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coredump-EE View Post
Updated firmware: 20110116

Fixes sideloading, adds sam2.

Coredump-EE, does this one include the google calendar?
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Coredump-EE
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
Coredump-EE, does this one include the google calendar?
No, I can't get Calendar to work.