Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #106
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
11982 is available now
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #107
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
My Aura Ed 2 didn't need anything removed.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #108
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Lightbulb Firmware 4.11.11980 on Kobo Aura 2013

Has anyone tried this in the original/2013 Kobo Aura?

How does one go to apply / sideload this on said Kobo?

Any precautions?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #109
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Has anyone tried this in the original/2013 Kobo Aura?

How does one go to apply / sideload this on said Kobo?

Any precautions?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Open the .zip file you downloaded, copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo directory on your Kobo ereader. Safely eject and the install should automagically run. While the files in the upgrade directory should not attempt to install on hardware it doesn't apply to, I just find it safer not to take any chances. 4.11.11982 should install the same way.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #110
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Firmware 4.11.11980 on Kobo Aura 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Open the .zip file you downloaded, copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo directory on your Kobo ereader[...]4.11.11982 should install the same way.
Thanks for your prompt reply!

For anyone that has tried it on a Kobo Aura 2013: what are the main improvements of this firmware version?

Last edited by Incanus; 11-12-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Minor misspelling
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #111
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know I still have to install the latest official firmware for my H2O. So what should I do from there. Should I install KoboRoot.tgz as is or should I remove anything from that before installing?
Just install the KoboRoot.tgz. Nothing needs to be removed from it. But, putting the full package on the device is safe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #112
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply!

For anyone that has tried it on a Kobo Aura 2013: what are the main improvements of this firmware version?
The changes compared to the 4.10.x firmware are listed early in this thread. The changes specific to the Forma (light, button and rotating the device) will not be seen, but everything else will be. Depending on the firmware you are currently running, you might need to look at the change list for other updates to get the full picture.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #113
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
I can reproduce this issue by

1) open document
2) open Reading Settings from "3 dots" menu
3) use the X button to exit out of Reading Settings
4) X button "ghost" remains drawn under top bar, and if headers are disabled then it will remain on the screen after top bar is dismissed (and until screen refresh)

this is on the Kobo Forma.
Yes, mine is Kobo Forma, I didn't test it on my Kobo Aura One.

When I tap the middle of the screen to open the menu bar to check the time or reading progress or any other setting, after exiting the menu bar, in old firmware, the screen will refresh once no matter what your refresh page setting is, but current firmware ( Firmware 4.11.11980, I don't know what version this bug is introduced) won't refresh, since I set it to refresh every 50 pages, so now it may take a long time to refresh, the a lot of things will stay one the same page, I have to exit to home page the open the book again or set the refresh screen to a smaller number of pages. This is very annoying.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #114
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Yes, mine is Kobo Forma, I didn't test it on my Kobo Aura One.

When I tap the middle of the screen to open the menu bar to check the time or reading progress or any other setting, after exiting the menu bar, in old firmware, the screen will refresh once no matter what your refresh page setting is, but current firmware ( Firmware 4.11.11980, I don't know what version this bug is introduced) won't refresh, since I set it to refresh every 50 pages, so now it may take a long time to refresh, the a lot of things will stay one the same page, I have to exit to home page the open the book again or set the refresh screen to a smaller number of pages. This is very annoying.
Or just rotate the screen (you say you have a Forma) which will also cause a refresh, still a pain but at least you don't have to exit to home page and reopen the book.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #115
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Or just rotate the screen (you say you have a Forma) which will also cause a refresh, still a pain but at least you don't have to exit to home page and reopen the book.
Didn't know that,
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thank you everyone who said what I needed to do to update the firmware on my original H2O.

Now I just have to figure out the new patch system before I install the new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #117
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
You can use the new patch system just like the old one the difference is you can save the on/off state for patches. If you look in the dev forum at the new patching system there’s a quick blurb on how to do so.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
You can use the new patch system just like the old one the difference is you can save the on/off state for patches. If you look in the dev forum at the new patching system there’s a quick blurb on how to do so.
I hope it's that easy. I've never used it before because the top margin bug in ePub put me off installing the latest official H2O firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #119
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Okay -- this is weird. I just found out by chance that all of the books that I've either downloaded from the Kobo store, or sideloaded as .kepubs from Calibre, since I updated to this firmware version have the cover shown with different colours: not quite negative, but almost as if the red were substituted with blue. I noticed this the "Device" tab in Calibre as I was syncing a book downloaded from the Kobo store on my device with its copy in my library. I was able to fix the issue temporarily with the Kobo Utilities plugin, by resending the covers to the device. Is it just me or is this an actual bug? Can someone check on theirs?
I'm trying to see if this difference actually shows on the screen or if it's just Calibre, but I'm having trouble understanding if that's the case (and you might ask 'Why do I care if I'm not sure it's visible', but...).
I sideloaded this on a Glo HD.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #120
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mathil: Yes, on FW post-32bpp fb switch (4.2? IIRC), the pixel format is BGR, not RGB (meaning the red & blue channels are indeed swapped).

Which is a non-issue when you actually grayscale & dither your images when sideloading, because R=G=B after that .

EDIT: It's been a while since I checked what the Kobo itself does for Store-bought kePubs, but they used to be kept in color and undithered, possibly in the wrong pixel format.

EDIT²: Depending on what you're using to take your screenshots, the issue may very well lie in that bit of code rather than anywhere else, and as such be fairly innocuous .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-03-2018 at 06:10 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote