Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #436
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Version 3.22 of the Kindle Previewer is now available. It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.
I think they changed the temp directory generation so the "any.last" function of the command line doesn't work anymore...?

Any way to add the ability to point to the temp dir from the command line? I mean, if they are going to keep doing this, it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by HowlerX; 05-16-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: a suggestion
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #437
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
I think they changed the temp directory generation so the "any.last" function of the command line doesn't work anymore...?
The new Previewer version organizes its temp files differently. I will release a fix to the plugin once I finish some other changes I have in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
Any way to add the ability to point to the temp dir from the command line? I mean, if they are going to keep doing this, it wouldn't hurt.
If you can find the proper subdirectory within your temp directory containing the book created by the Previewer, you can zip the contents up and then change the file extension from .zip to .kpf. You should be able to convert the resulting file using this plugin.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #438
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
If you can find the proper subdirectory within your temp directory containing the book created by the Previewer, you can zip the contents up and then change the file extension from .zip to .kpf. You should be able to convert the resulting file using this plugin.
Sweet. Thanks for the tip!
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #439
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.19.0 - 21 May 2018

Allow conversion of comics with Guided View produced using Kindle Create version 1.6 in Early Access mode under Windows.

Fix error when converting KPF files produced by Kindle Create version 1.6: "CorruptError: malformed database schema (?)"

Improve location number generation.

Fix cover image metadata not being set correctly for comics.

Fix page numbers in a NAV page-list were being ignored if landmarks were also present.

Allow the ".last" CLI function to work with recent Previewer versions. (Fixes error: "No Kindle Previewer KDF database file found. No conversion results are available.")

Detect Previewer versions up to 3.22.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #440
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Kindle Previewer and KFX conversion

I moved the Kindle Previewer app to the same directory as is my Calibre library (per the instructions, if I followed them correctly). But I can't get a book to convert successfully to KFX, they all said Failed when trying to convert.
Can anyone tell me what step I am missing or doing incorrectly? Will this conversion work for any ebook type, mobi, epub, azw, etc?
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #441
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
I moved the Kindle Previewer app to the same directory as is my Calibre library (per the instructions, if I followed them correctly).
I don't know what you mean by this. You are supposed to install it without changing the default installation location. You should not move anything.

Quote:
correctly). But I can't get a book to convert successfully to KFX, they all said Failed when trying to convert.
Can anyone tell me what step I am missing or doing incorrectly?
Make sure that the Kindle Previewer is installed properly.

If that does not help you will need to post the log from a failed conversion so that I can see what is going wrong. See "Dealing with Conversion Errors" in the first post of this thread for instructions on how to do that.

Quote:
Will this conversion work for any ebook type, mobi, epub, azw, etc?
It should in most cases, but the results may be better from some formats (epub, azw3) than from others (mobi, pdf). Some content cannot be converted to KFX, such as large HTML tables.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:22 AM   #442
elpinohd
elpinohd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
If the ASIN method didn't work ...

Quote:

Calibre supports ASINs for country-specific Amazon stores by appending the country code to the identifier name when creating the "amazon" identifier. For example:
amazon:B0064CPN7I --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064CPN7I
amazon_uk:B00BAJ6GL2 --> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BAJ6GL2
amazon_de:B016PFA0YO --> https://www.amazon.de/dp/B016PFA0YO
If that method didn't worked try with "mobi-asin" instead of "amazon" or "amazon_uk" or the others.
It worked for me, hope this helps
elpinohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #443
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hi jhowell;

I'm using the last version of your plugin and the last version of CALIBRE PORTABLE. Since I have installed Kindle Previewer not in the default location, I want to use the command line interface in order to build a .kfx ebook.
But when I run the following command:

Code:
calibre-debug -r "KFX Output" -- book.last
I receive the message that no "KFX Output" plugin is found.

The plugin is properly installed accordingly your instructions (and when I open the Calibre GUI, I can see the option of a .kfx output (but I can't use it because, as I said before, my Kindle Previewer is not in the default location).

What am I doing bad?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #444
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I'm using the last version of your plugin and the last version of CALIBRE PORTABLE. Since I have installed Kindle Previewer not in the default location, I want to use the command line interface in order to build a .kfx ebook.
The "calibre-portable" command causes calibre to use the configuration and libraries from specific directories. The "calibre-debug" command doesn't perform that special handling.

You should be able to make it work by setting an environment variable to indicate where the configuration directory is located. For example if calibre portable is installed in "C:\Calibre Portable" use:

set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings

Then run the calibre-debug command.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #445
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The "calibre-portable" command causes calibre to use the configuration and libraries from specific directories. The "calibre-debug" command doesn't perform that special handling.

You should be able to make it work by setting an environment variable to indicate where the configuration directory is located. For example if calibre portable is installed in "C:\Calibre Portable" use:

set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings

Then run the calibre-debug command.
Hi jhowell;

Many thanks for your answer. I did what you said me, and regrettably, I can't run your plugin.
If I open a console in the Calibre plugin folder, the "calibre-debug.exe" is not found (even with the path of that file added to the system variables of windows7); and if I open a console in the Calibre folder, your plugin is not found. I must be doing something wrong, but what?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #446
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I must be doing something wrong, but what?
I am out of ideas.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #447
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
I am out of ideas.
Is it possibly for me to edit your plugin to tell it where to find "Kindle Previewer"?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #448
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is it possibly for me to edit your plugin to tell it where to find "Kindle Previewer"?
Certainly.

You can unzip the plugin file, edit, and re-zip it. In the "kfxlib" folder the file "generate_kpf.py" has the code that runs the Kindle Previewer. In that file change the line near the beginning of the file:

TEST_PROGRAM_PATH = None

to point to the folder where the program was installed. Something like:

TEST_PROGRAM_PATH = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Kindle Previewer 3"

(Note the need for double backslashes for Windows paths.)

Added: I will add a tweak to the next release of the plugin that allows the program location to be configured without having to edit any files.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #449
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Certainly.

You can unzip the plugin file, edit, and re-zip it. In the "kfxlib" folder the file "generate_kpf.py" has the code that runs the Kindle Previewer. In that file change the line near the beginning of the file:

TEST_PROGRAM_PATH = None

to point to the folder where the program was installed. Something like:

TEST_PROGRAM_PATH = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Kindle Previewer 3"

(Note the need for double backslashes for Windows paths.)

Added: I will add a tweak to the next release of the plugin that allows the program location to be configured without having to edit any files.
Thank you very much!!! Your plugin worked flawlessly and I could build a .kfx ebook. You have done a great job with your tool, many thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #450
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
By the way, could it be possible for you to make a KDF Input plugin for Calibre in order to process that "kind of ebook" with KFX Output?

Tags
kfx, linux, wine