Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
So with the full charge up on the 5th I have now read 98 pages with the brightness between 9 and 12, wifi on bluetooth off and my battery is at 50%.

This looks to be right in line with 4 days and 200 pages of my original post which seems crazy low.

Even if wifi halves the battery life as some claim, that would be 8 days of charge which is still just a tiny bit off from the 4-6 weeks advertised.

I'll play the rest of this battery out and then leave wifi off for the next cycle and see how much of a difference it makes.
If you read closely on the battery life advertised you will see it is at 30 min day at brightness level 10. So it is measured in hours, not pages. I read at 18 brightness level. My first test was one hour and it used 5%. So that works out pretty close to advertised. I have no problem with plugging it in several times a week to be sure it has enough juice for a long reading session. It does charge fast.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
selianth
Enthusiast
selianth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I read at brightness level 8, in Airplane mode. My KOA2 is no longer indexing. I'm already down to 55% charge after only one weekend of reading. While I don't know the exact number of hours I was reading, it wasn't more than usual. I will say that I could do the same amount on my old Oasis and not be anywhere close to 55%. I'm guessing at this rate I'll have to charge about 3 times more often than with the Oasis 1. Hopefully after a couple cycles it will be better but it's a little disappointing.
selianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
If you read closely on the battery life advertised you will see it is at 30 min day at brightness level 10. So it is measured in hours, not pages. I read at 18 brightness level. My first test was one hour and it used 5%. So that works out pretty close to advertised. I have no problem with plugging it in several times a week to be sure it has enough juice for a long reading session. It does charge fast.
Right, its measured in time, not pages. So 4 weeks would be 28 days at 30 minutes a day would be about 14 hours. It certainly did not take me 14 hours at brightness 9-12 to read 200 pages.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
They have an assumed number of page turns per 30 minutes built in. Awake time, page turns, and total time (awake + sleep) are all important and each can dominate under different conditions. If you turn pages as fast as possible the battery will last only a few hours. If you let it sleep and never wake it, it will still run down. Despite what amazon claims, you will not get twice the time between charges at 30 minutes reading per day as for 1 hour per day. See

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...83#post1603683

for a discussion of battery life for e-ink readers.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #20
neanius
neanius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why say "maybe it's indexing"? Look and see if it's indexing. Indexing processes can and do get stuck, and will drain the battery like crazy.
How and where to see that? But, anyhow, the battery itself seems to be the problem. I'll leave it to fully drain, then recharge and see what happens.
neanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanius View Post
How and where to see that?
I've posted this several times in the last few days in the various threads about the Oasis, but to repeat it again:

1. Go to the Library screen.
2. Tap the "Search" button.
3. Enter a string of random characters as the search string (so you don't get any actual results).
4. On the results page, if the "Text in Books" line is enabled, tap it, and it'll say "Items Not Yet Indexed (NNN)" (where "NNN" is the number).
5. Tap that line to see what the books are that haven't yet been indexed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #22
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
To check if it's indexing do a search for some nonsense string you wouldn't expect to see in any book , wefrfrewrefref for example.

Opt to Search Everywhere. Press on Text In Books. If there are books indexing it will tell you how many, and I believe you can click through to find out which ones.

Do this immediately after sending some books to see how it looks when indexing.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'll also add, if you suspect the device is not behaving normally, (and a stuck process consuming battery power would be consistent with what has been described so far.), make you you try to reboot/restart the device. It's easy to overlook on the kindle, since, as they are used normally, they are *never* turned off.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #24
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
So with 35% battery left on day 3 of a full charge I turned the brightness up all the way and the battery ran the rest of the way down in about 40 minutes. I charged it again and this time turned wifi off. I burned 5% reading last night (maybe 30 pages) and overnight it only lost an additional 1% of battery. I'll keep an eye on this third full charge but I may end up asking for an exchange. I've also seen reports of poor battery life over at the Kindle Reddit page.

Overall though, I really do love the Oasis.

Oh, as suggested above I also did a hard reset but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #25
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
How do you get the Kindle to show battery percentage instead of just an icon with bars?
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
How do you get the Kindle to show battery percentage instead of just an icon with bars?
Set the UI font size to “Large”.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #27
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
Go to settings-accessibility and use large there for display size.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #28
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Set the UI font size to “Large”.
Got it.
Thanks.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #29
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
So far I'm not seeing any improvement in battery life over any of my other Kindles, and I always have the wifi off. I'll give it a few more charging cycles and see if it gets any better.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #30
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
My New Oasis also seems to be going though the battery much faster than any of my previous Kindles (2nd generation, Paperwhite, original Oasis). I did the Indexing Test and found “Text In Books” was grayed out. I have brightness set to Auto.
I recorded start and stop times (typically 20min to hour reading sessions). I was down to 26% after 5hrs 25min of reading. That extrapolates to about 7hr 25min total battery life. That is nowhere near the 21hours you would get for 6 weeks, half hour a day. Granted that is at a brightness setting of 10. I have no idea what my typical brightness setting would be on Auto, but i checked a couple of times. Once was 18, another 11. I did have WiFi on during this test.
I certainly expect my results should be less than what they advertise, but I think this is extreme. I recall only charging my other Kindles every 2 or 3 weeks.
Cheers, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2