Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #1
aduffbrew
Enthusiast
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Nova 2 & iPad Mini 5
New to Boox and the Nova 2

I recently switched from a Boyue Likebook Plus. The difference in performance and stability is surprising. I’m using it for far more than I did the Likebook. What have you done to customize your Boox device? Still using the default launcher or reader app? I find typing on the Nova 2 with the default keyboard and settings to be less than pleasant. I’m far more used to the autocapitalization and autopunctuation of my iPad Mini. Any solutions for that?

Thanks,

Daib
aduffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
Botanicalstig
Botanicalstig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I've only had mine a few days, but I switched to GBoard. I've also used swiftkey for many years on my phones, but GBoard has a few features I feel are better now a days (curser drag using the spacebar, for example). So far it's working well. Also downloaded firefox as a web browser... Has some plug ins to disable ads, animations, all sorts of junk. I've stuck with the stock launcher for now. I did change my home screen to show apps instead of the library.

Otherwise no other suggestions from me.... Curious to see what others say.
Botanicalstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
raca339
raca339 is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I'm using the native reader - called Neo Reader - but I don't like the native fonts. So I'm now using the standard Kobo font (Georgia which is easy to find on the net).
Set the size, line spacing and paragraph spacing to fit your taste.
raca339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
I use calibre companion as library to chose books.
Moon reader to read books.
Root fs as explorer.
Golden dict as dictionary app. (integrated dictionary didn't handle inflected forms when dictionaries has a file with them (love, loved.... only find love))
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:30 AM   #5
aduffbrew
Enthusiast
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Thanks so much for the input. I've added the Gboard keyboard, updated the font to Georgia, and kept the stock launcher and NeoReader. The dictionary I installed is handling inflexions etc well so I've stuck with the default dictionary app. I'm not sure what is meant by "Root fs" so I'm using the included file manager to move books and downloads around. Not that I need do much of anything else. I have poked around with Total Commander to satisfy my curiosity, though.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Some time, for pdf newspapers/magazines, i would like a pinch to zoom feature.
The default browser does it
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
jma2
jma2 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx T68
Interesting thread! I own a Nova 2 and found (and downloaded) the Georgia fonts. According to the manual: "Users can download fonts online, then copy the fonts to the folder /fonts; Users can select the installed fonts when reading."

I couldn't find a /fonts directory. There is however a /system/fonts directory but I cannot copy any ttf files in that directory. When I hook the Nova 2 up to my Windows PC, I also can access only data under /mnt/sdcard

On the device, I tried to create a /fonts directory but that was also not allowed.

I am using the latest firmware.

Any idea how I can get the Georgia fonts installed? Are those to be installed in the /system/fonts directory?

Thanks in advance for the help.
jma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
raca339
raca339 is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
You have to create the /fonts folder if it does not already exists.

Look at here:
https://medium.com/@OnyxBoox/the-way...x-dbf1ac411e92

Last edited by raca339; 10-11-2020 at 04:38 PM.
raca339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
jma2
jma2 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx T68
Thank you for the tip raca339! This worked out fine.

Not sure what I would do without all the useful information from the community here :-)
jma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
As it's not defaulted in Nova 2 but it got the microphone.
Is any of you using an external audio to text app for note taking?
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #11
Kfdjrk
Kfdjrk began at the beginning.

Device: Boox nova 3, kobo clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by raca339 View Post
I'm using the native reader - called Neo Reader - but I don't like the native fonts. So I'm now using the standard Kobo font (Georgia which is easy to find on the net).
Set the size, line spacing and paragraph spacing to fit your taste.
I just can’t find that font! Would you be able to give me a link?
Kfdjrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:11 PM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfdjrk View Post
I just can’t find that font! Would you be able to give me a link?
If you're using a Windows computer, there's a good chance that you already have it as Georgia is a font that was originally commissioned by Microsoft.

There do seem to be a number of sites offering it for download. Here is just one: https://freefontsvault.com/georgia-font-download-free/

As with downloading from any site, use at your own risk.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:48 AM   #13
aduffbrew
Enthusiast

I installed several reading apps from Kobo, Amazon, Nook, etc. I got a decent file manager for android and just copied over the fonts I wanted for Neo Reader.