Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-11-2024, 06:29 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I will leave that as a homework assignment…
I would use the smaller font size that works in all cases.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:25 PM   #107
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would use the smaller font size that works in all cases.
We know YOU would, but others may want a different look and are willing to do the extra coding to make it work.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 09:08 PM   #108
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Zip uses LZW and/or deflate
Zip files used for containers (EPUB/office docs) can use only deflate compression or none.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:26 AM   #109
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
The advice I have come across is to just use the <small> tag instead of a span class; ADE renders it just fine. So that would be

<p>S<small>O </small>I<small> HAVE HEARD</small>, said Death.</p>

Last edited by paperwhite13; 02-12-2024 at 03:41 AM.
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:26 AM   #110
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
The advice I have come across is to just use the <small> tag instead of a span class; ADE renders it just fine. So that would be

Looking Death's Dialogue in paperback edition of Reaper man it's very hard to tell if it's real 'small-caps' or simply a smaller font in capitals. The starts of Death's sentences uses a regular capital.

What happens on ereaders or apps that don't support Media Queries?
[Edit: the dog ate my homework text books]

I only see them in ebooks downloaded from Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 06:55 AM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Looking Death's Dialogue in paperback edition of Reaper man it's very hard to tell if it's real 'small-caps' or simply a smaller font in capitals. The starts of Death's sentences uses a regular capital.

What happens on ereaders or apps that don't support Media Queries?
[Edit: the dog ate my homework text books]

I only see them in ebooks downloaded from Amazon.
As long as the media queries are not taken as errors, ADE should ignore them. So you would would get small-caps in the smaller font size.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:48 AM   #112
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That is the same type of kluge that people have used for things like drop-caps. Unfortunately, there are still quite a few people who use it. It is NOT a recommended technique. It breaks up words so any spelling checkers, or search algorithms would not work, and it is not accessibility friendly...think what TTS programs would sound like: S...O...I...have heard...

In the example I gave above, none of that is an issue.

JSWolf is correct that a standards compliant device/app would just ignore any styling that it doesn't understand/support. So style from most basic to most complex, or older to newer, or least capable to most capable. The device/app will style to its highest level of compatibility without giving any errors. All MQs typically go on their own stylesheet in case older(er) devices that don't support MQs don't lose all the rest of the styling on the sheet.

Code:
So I have heard, said Death.
Is basic, but at least it is grammatically correct, readable, searchable, TTS able, etc. If the user doesn't LIKE that they have a basic device then it's up to them to decide if they want upgrade, or just live with it...if they even notice they didn't have the small-caps...they've never seen it on that device.

You can also adjust your coding based on the capabilities of your target devices/apps. If you are marketing on Amazon, you only need to worry about kindle capabilities, not kobo quirks... swap the css sheet to a kobo version if you are going to sell there...not that difficult.

Last edited by Turtle91; 02-12-2024 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:18 AM   #113
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
That is the same type of kluge that people have used for things like drop-caps. Unfortunately, there are still quite a few people who use it. It is NOT a recommended technique. It breaks up words so any spelling checkers, or search algorithms would not work, and it is not accessibility friendly...think what TTS programs would sound like: S...O...I...have heard...
It was my unfortunate contribution (to preserve the exact styling--mixed small caps with regular caps) to the advice that led to that. I think that

<p><small>SO I HAVE HEARD</small>, said Death.</p>

would preserve both the small caps where sighted users are concerned, and the information that Death's words ring differently for everyone else. (Even the previously mentioned Random in Death uses <small> where small caps are concerned )
Old 02-12-2024, 08:31 AM   #114
paperwhite13
Zealot

In my opinion, it's more important when something is in all caps, whether they're regular or small; you need to preserve the caps, first and foremost.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM   #115
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The PocketBook app TTS seems to largely ignore spans.
Why spell check the HTML? You spell check the source, and no-one should be writing a novel or anything else directly in HTML.
In the paperback book the sentences by Death always start with a regular capital.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-12-2024 at 08:48 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:55 AM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It was my unfortunate contribution (to preserve the exact styling--mixed small caps with regular caps) to the advice that led to that. I think that

<p><small>SO I HAVE HEARD</small>, said Death.</p>

would preserve both the small caps where sighted users are concerned, and the information that Death's words ring differently for everyone else. (Even the previously mentioned Random in Death uses <small> where small caps are concerned )
That won't work. You have lost the actual caps. With this code, the space is correctly preserved.

CSS
Code:
small {
  font-size: 0.8333em;
}
HTML
Code:
]<p><small>S<small>O</small> I <small>HAVE</small> <small>HEARD</small>, said Death.</p>
Old 02-12-2024, 08:56 AM   #117
paperwhite13
Zealot

It's not just a line, this is how Death speaks, and I would bet money that there's authorial intent. The caps, regular or small, are part of the book, they need to stay one way or the other.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:58 AM   #118
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

lol. That is assuming the author spell-checks at all!

Starting with a regular capital is grammatically correct, but doesn’t require splitting the letter from the rest of the word.

Reverting back to the “styling is done on the CSS sheet, structure is done in the HTML” I would consider ALL BOLD TYPING in html as styling. Just mark the applicable text with a class, and then you can use all the available CSS options to style it however you want… including different styles for differently capable devices.

But, do as you wish…
Old 02-12-2024, 08:58 AM   #119
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That won't work. You have lost the actual caps.
Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean I've lost the actual caps? It's ironic that this time around you're pushing for writing a CSS class when a simple tag works
Old 02-12-2024, 09:00 AM   #120
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
lol. That is assuming the author spell-checks at all!
I'm absolutely certain Terry Pratchett was spell checking and that he meant to use caps when talking about a voice as heavy as neutronium

Quote:
Starting with a regular capital is grammatically correct, but doesn’t require splitting the letter from the rest of the word.
I don't understand if this is about my first (bad) comment, or the second one (which I stand by).

Tags
indesign, sigil