Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Two copies of same app on iPad? Possible?

Strange request...
I have an eBook on my iPad which I would like to keep "open" all the time because it is a key reference book which I have to turn to often.

So what I'd like to do is have my normal app (Stanza) to be used like normal (reading books), but I'd like another copy of Stanza with ONLY my single reference book loaded so I never have to close the current book, and then locate and open my reference book.

(Ideally the reference book should be an app in and of itself and not a book in a reader app.)

I thought of using another reader with just my reference book loaded but I haven't found one that has a fast enough search. (A certain search in iBooks took 32 seconds while the same search in Stanza took less than 2 seconds! I do a lot of searches in this reference book so fast searching is a must.)

Two copies of an app on one device... is it possible?

(btw... I
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: I thought perhaps I could use the book with a text editor on the iPad so I converted the book to txt and loaded into "PlainText" app and also "Pages" text editors and both apps "locked up" and had to be restarted (the book is a 3.6 meg text file). Makes the search speed of Stanza even more impressive...
Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You might want to convert your reference book into a webapp? Or try IBISReader , load the ref book into that?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
You might want to convert your reference book into a webapp? Or try IBISReader , load the ref book into that?
Appreciate the response... thanks. I really need to keep the book/file local on my iPad as I don't always have web access.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Appreciate the response... thanks. I really need to keep the book/file local on my iPad as I don't always have web access.
IBISReader keeps a copy local-I believe they reserve 50MB(?) on your iPad for books. Plus, you can make your own webapp local as well.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
1611mac
eWanderer

hummm - I'll have to investigate further. I can't even find and IBISReader app. I created an account on the web site and all I saw was an upload feature which i tried. The file was uploaded to my account on their site. What am I missing?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer

oh.. i see.. tiny link at bottom when viewing the book "download" - sadly... it simply downloads to one of my already existing apps (it asks which one)
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
kjk

Quote:
hummm - I'll have to investigate further. I can't even find and IBISReader app. I created an account on the web site and all I saw was an upload feature which i tried. The file was uploaded to my account on their site. What am I missing?
It is a bit confusing-because it's not an "app" app but a webapp. You should be able to just visit the site from your iPad at m.ibisreader.com and follow the directions.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Strange request...
I have an eBook on my iPad which I would like to keep "open" all the time because it is a key reference book which I have to turn to often.

So what I'd like to do is have my normal app (Stanza) to be used like normal (reading books), but I'd like another copy of Stanza with ONLY my single reference book loaded so I never have to close the current book, and then locate and open my reference book.

(Ideally the reference book should be an app in and of itself and not a book in a reader app.)

I thought of using another reader with just my reference book loaded but I haven't found one that has a fast enough search. (A certain search in iBooks took 32 seconds while the same search in Stanza took less than 2 seconds! I do a lot of searches in this reference book so fast searching is a must.)

Two copies of an app on one device... is it possible?

(btw... I
yes it is possible. i am having two copies of kindle on my ipad. detailed instructions are here-

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/6...same-apps.html
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
1611mac
eWanderer

Perfect.. I'll give it a try! Thanks dhiru!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
yes it is possible. i am having two copies of kindle on my ipad. detailed instructions are here-

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/6...same-apps.html

These instructions are somewhat dated and the photos are missing. Also, the info is for windows (I have a Mac). However, I was able to dup the app and make the changes. But the app was still named the same. After changing yet another file I did end up with my second, ,uniquely named app.

Sadly, when I tried to sync to my iPad the app was rejected and a generic error given. I'll continue to experiment.

Thanks again for the info dhiru, I've learned a lot and had fun trying this....